[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

I'm not sure what information you have listed here that you have any right and title to. Did you invent anything new listed here?

Plagiarism is the process of copying another person's idea or written work and claiming it as original.

By asking people not to plagiarize "your" work herin, you are actually claiming that the information provided by bioware is your own and thus plagiarizing them.

Get the irony?

Also, check the ELUA on forums that you signed when you made this account.

This is not a troll. I'm just looking out for your own best interest.

:)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I'm wondering your opinion on the droid upgrade in 1.2 where they can get bonuses for crew skills. Do you think with the droid that any class can be good at any crafting skill or does it just make the best crew skills for the class even better?

I'm not sure what information you have listed here that you have any right and title to. Did you invent anything new listed here?

Plagiarism is the process of copying another person's idea or written work and claiming it as original.

By asking people not to plagiarize "your" work herin, you are actually claiming that the information provided by bioware is your own and thus plagiarizing them.

Get the irony?

Also, check the ELUA on forums that you signed when you made this account.

This is not a troll. I'm just looking out for your own best interest.

:)

I'm not going to press charges or something if someone steals my work here. I doubt I could literally stop someone from stealing my work, but I'm hoping this will deter them if they aren't respectful enough to simply do the right thing.

I'm not exactly sure why you are posting this, though. Do you think that by posting that I'm at risk of being banned by Bioware (huh?), or are you warning me that I won't be able to stop people from stealing my work? If the latter is the case, why post it here so people can get ideas..? I'm not upset, I just don't understand why you posted this.

Furthermore, I disagree with you. This may be regarding Bioware's game, but I put in the time and effort to put this guide together. Do you think that if you posted an entire strategy guide online for free, and it got a lot of traffic, or maybe even was making YOU money somehow, that they would not force you to take it down? Perhaps 'plagiarism' is the wrong word, but it's stealing my work all the same.

Overall it just looks like you're trying to tell me I'm wrong about something, or perhaps something I worded bothered you enough that you decided to point it out here, et cetera and so forth. I'm sorry, but I don't particularly care. Thanks for letting me know, I guess?

Edit: If you actually want to continue this discussion, I would prefer it be in private messages (and be civil). I don't want to potentially derail this thread with it. Thanks for understanding.

Edited by TheRealBowser

Hey I'm wondering your opinion on the droid upgrade in 1.2 where they can get bonuses for crew skills. Do you think with the droid that any class can be good at any crafting skill or does it just make the best crew skills for the class even better?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

If you're asking whether the droid changes in 1.2 will make it so he's worth using, yes, it will.

If you're asking whether the droid changes in 1.2 will give him crew skill bonuses, I do not know yet, sorry.

Edited by TheRealBowser

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

If you're asking whether the droid changes in 1.2 will make it so he's worth using, yes, it will.

If you're asking whether the droid changes in 1.2 will give him crew skill bonuses, I do not know yet, sorry.

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear. (please don't take that as any sort of negative emotion)

With the changes in 1.2 where droids can be equipped with chips to give him bonuses to crew skills, do you think it will allow the classes to have more freedom in choosing a crew skill?

Say a Consular doesn't want to do Synth/Artifice/Cyber, say he wants to do Armormech. Does it give him the ability to do so more easily or should the droid upgrades should just be used to further increase his companions bonuses to certain crew skills?

I apologize if this post isn't clear. I'm not very good at explaining my thoughts.

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear. (please don't take that as any sort of negative emotion)

With the changes in 1.2 where droids can be equipped with chips to give him bonuses to crew skills, do you think it will allow the classes to have more freedom in choosing a crew skill?

Say a Consular doesn't want to do Synth/Artifice/Cyber, say he wants to do Armormech. Does it give him the ability to do so more easily or should the droid upgrades should just be used to further increase his companions bonuses to certain crew skills?

I apologize if this post isn't clear. I'm not very good at explaining my thoughts.

Nothing has changed, other classes will always be better, and you are always free to choose any crew skill you desire. Having an extra character with bonuses of your choosing just means you have an extra bonus to work with.

For instance, a consular will be able to have an extra underworld trading bonus and have two crew skill members working on it at once with bonuses as opposed to just one. The trooper will still have far superior bonuses for armormech no matter what bonuses you give the droid on your consular, since you can (presumably) give the exact same bonuses to the trooper droid.

Overall, nothing has changed with which classes are best with which crew skills.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to quit the game. This game just hasn't turned out in such a way that I enjoy.

The crafting system of this game always appealed to me, and even if I don't return to this game, I hope that it's looked at and used elsewhere, because it was a really intelligent and promising system.

I'm not going to go into details on why I quit, but there are a number of reasons, the most obvious probably being that this game simply isn't fun for me. I want to to be fun, but it's not. I've always though that this game had promise and potential, but it didn't live up to it and I'm not convinced that will change.

There are other reasons I won't go into, because I'm not interested in starting off-topic drama in this thread.

This guide should remain accurate unless they add more class-specific companions (HK-47 going to everyone will change nothing), say in an expansion, or unless they change something, such as that bounty hunter companion with treasure hunting to something more... useful. I don't believe this will occur.

If anyone wants to contact me for whatever reason, I am loathe to post my email on a public forum, but if you want to talk to me, my steam is the same as my name here, should you use that service: TheRealBowser.

I wish you all luck in your Star Wars adventures! Always have fun!

Edited by TheRealBowser

I printed this out last night. Sure does help in skill selection.

Will there be an update once 1.2 is out?

I have quit the game (My subscription ends tomorrow), so no. However, there is not anything in 1.2 that effects which companions are best for your class.

Everyone's ship droid is exactly the same, so it won't effect which class is best at which crew skill. Likewise for HK-47 in 1.3.

Forgive me if this is the wrong section to post these questions, but at the moment I am at a loss. I'm relatively new to MMOs (this is my first), and to make matters more complicated I cannot play as much as I'd like. (Maybe a few hours between a course of days.)

Anyway, I really, really want to understand how crafting works, and what- specifics -I would need to craft a yellow lightsabre... if anyone knows. I so badly want to change my lightsabre and get the right mechanics down for my Jedi Knight that I have made a new character just to do so.

At what level, as a Jedi Knight, am I eligible to change my lightsabre color? And, I'm not sure if it is a bug or what, but some of the sabres (well... all of them except the one I started with) that I am gifted or loot cannot be upgraded at all. When I put the sabre hilt into the upgrade station, all the letters jumble together, like you see on a computer with a virus, and nothing highlights for me to change 'em.

(It's quite... frustrating.)

If anyone could tell me how to change my ligthsabre crystal to a yellow one (do I have to make crew members have a certain skill, or do I need to physically find a specific color crystal- and where if so) I would really appreciate it! :D

Edited by RepublicGurl

RepublicGurl - there's no level requirement in order to change the color of your lightsaber. The lightsaber itself needs to be modifiable. Typically, green lightsabers are not modifiable. To check if yours is modifiable, control right mouse click it. If it's upgradeable, a new window titled Workbench will appear.

Color crystals can be purchased on the Galactic Trade Market or crafted via the Artifice crew skill.

RepublicGurl - there's no level requirement in order to change the color of your lightsaber. The lightsaber itself needs to be modifiable. Typically, green lightsabers are not modifiable. To check if yours is modifiable, control right mouse click it. If it's upgradeable, a new window titled Workbench will appear.

Color crystals can be purchased on the Galactic Trade Market or crafted via the Artifice crew skill.

Thanks! :D

At what level, as a Jedi Knight, am I eligible to change my lightsabre color? And, I'm not sure if it is a bug or what, but some of the sabres (well... all of them except the one I started with) that I am gifted or loot cannot be upgraded at all.

That's typical - it seems to be pretty rare to get an orange quality item, especially a weapon, as a quest reward, and from what I can tell they're incredibly rare as drops from regular NPCs.

Bosses in flashpoints drop them more frequently. They also do sometimes show up as quest rewards - principally as the reward for the final quest in a long quest chain. And you can buy orange quality item from commendation vendors on planets (and other vendors on planets will sell them for credits, usually it's pretty expensive).

But keep in mind that you can always upgrade your existing item instead of buying a new one, especially if you like the look of your existing one.

Typically, green lightsabers are not modifiable.

One exception to this might be companion weapons. I don't know about light sabers, but I have seen some companion-only weapons that are green and modifiable.

Edited by amantheil

That's typical - it seems to be pretty rare to get an orange quality item, especially a weapon, as a quest reward, and from what I can tell they're incredibly rare as drops from regular NPCs

I play Empire and all my Sith characters have at least 3 or 4 orange lightsabers from drops or quest rewards. They are not rare. They are also available with planet commendations from your capital world. The capital world commendation vendor sells orange weapons for every advanced class.

It looks like my account is active for a few days, so I'll take this time to make minor adjustments to this sticky to satisfy the mods. I have not returned to the game, however, if you would like to talk to me or for me to make any adjustments in this thread, now's the time to let me know about it!

The post has been given minor adjustments for 1.2, including a small section on the ship droid to further help you choose which classes are best for given crafting skills.

It does have a little more significance than I thought, but not much. Take it as you will.

Great guide OP...

Just a shame Bioware decided to send players on a roller-coaster ride with crew skills.....It baffles me how they can make a player choose a class, then at level 10 choose a craft profession, and after about level 40 that player then starts to realize they have picked the wrong class with regard to their companions tat can help them with their crafting..!!

I've posted how I think it should be in the Suggestion box, Basically no companion should have any default crew skills, the skills should be developed based on what the player chooses as a Craft profession, not what comes as default to the companions of the class the player chose on Login.

Again great post OP....just a shame that there is actually a need for it.....Because quite frankly the companion bonuses are a complete mess.!!

Akkavi Spar, +5 Bioanalysis crit, +10 Armormech Efficency........What on earth is that all about, when no other character in the smuggler line even has Biochem Crit or Armormech crit...........

Absolutely pointless !!

I was pretty impressed by 1.2's content, and I liked the offer Bioware was giving. I've decided to return for the time being, and my account will remain active for the next 2 months at least.

Welcome back to swtor and thank you so much for working so hard on this thread! It's the most common sense and comprehensive guide to choosing crew skills I've seen. Well written also.

Excluding efficiency bonus and reducing the list to crafting skills and for the comparision between factions I kept the mission skills

Anything but crit is neglectable. Anything that's not working to give us more augmentet items or double the outcome of items is sort of a small added bonus ... anything that does isn't - it's vital ... a crafted custom (eg.) weapon is worth nothing if not augmented and gives you a great return if it is.

Ship Droid and other non-unique companions. These are the bonuses you can have him use:

Engineering Droid Sensor: +5 cybertech critical

Exploration Droid Sensor: +5 synthweaving critical

hxxr's thoughs

Nice, so Two of the 6 crafting skills get a +5 crit bonus ... really nice and balanced, not that 5 Crit is a major increase that would be sought after any crafter ....

Hunter Droid Sensor: +2 armstech critical

hxxr thinks

At least some get +2 crit ... however this is still only 40% of the +5 bonus.

And well ... armormech, biochem and artifice are kind of missing entierly ... that's a 0% bonus for half of all crafting skills.

a. Jedi Knight

Kira Carsen: +5 crit synthweaving

Doc: +5 crit biochem

c. Trooper

Tanno Vik: +5 crit armormech

d. Smuggler

Corso Riggs: +5 crit armstech

f. Sith Warrior

Vette: +5 Crit Treasure Hunting

Jaesa Willsaam: +5 Crit Synthweaving

h. Imperial Agent

Vector: +5 Crit Diplomacy

hxxr's thoughts

***?!

There are two archtypes missing out entierly and most of them at least partially ... the Jedi Knight wins by far with two possible choices on +5 crit to a crafting skill ... that's 33% more crit chance which actually is a huge deal.

Also ... all 4 major armor and consumable crafting skills are represented on the republic side ... Empire has a strong option with Sith Warrior, but only for Synthweaving.

hxxr's conclusion

Something's really rotten here, for a game that just had an update with a very high number of crafting changes.

Edited by Hxxr

This doesn't really have much to do with the actual thread, but I do think that Bioware should remove critical and efficiency bonuses entirely and just have the various classes have +1, +2, or +3 bonuses, where they receive +1% critical chance & 5% faster crafting time, 2% crit &10% efficiency, and 5% crit & 15% efficiency. But this is just my biased opinion, since we know that efficiency is inferior to critical.

I'd also be okay with efficiency giving an additional bonus, such as -10%/20%/50% credit price/materials for crafting the item, in addition to 5%/10%/25% faster crafting.