Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions

CourtneyWoods

Take off the training wheels, allow for open space missions, and open space pvp. The space missions on rails is just boring.

I dont think you know what you are asking.. Its a completely different thing from the current themepark ride system to have open flight. I suspect Bioware couldnt develop AI for the enemy fighters in open space even if they wanted. Best we can propably get is two ships in there at the same time, on two separate railroad tracks.

Its not training wheels, its how the system is designed.

Edited by Karkais

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you guys are forgetting the fact that the original KOTOR games both had space combat as a teeny-tiny minigame, and still, those turned out to be great, story-driven games. You shouldn't have been expecting anything more, this was supposed to be a KOTOR 3, except with other people playing. I agree, however, that they advertise space combat as something more than it really was, and perhaps that led people to become angry when it turned out that it wasn't actually a huge component in the overall game. Still, I am content with the, er, content of this little minigame, and little improvements are appreciated. Sure, they could be improving the main game, but it's not like these are extremely time-consuming changes. I'd be more upset if they were trying to add more features than what they are adding now, with the current problems that exist in the main game, but this is harmless.

I agree with most of your post but..

The bolded part, when did they advertise it as more than a rail shooter? As I still remember exactly when this mini game was announced and as far as my memory tells me, it was never announced as anything more than a 'cinematic, on rails space shooter'. Which is exactly what we have.

PS. Not to the person I quoted but: Really guys? Being angry over something being added that you don't play? Are you really such an entitled little brat that you want to complain about this? There are people who enjoy the space combat of TOR for what it is: Do you think those people are not entitled to at least an update on one of their enjoyed activites ONCE A YEAR? Because really.. not everyone plays only PVP or PVE endgame in this game.

But no, you guys prefer to be entitled little brats and just complain about something that you yourself don't even play.

You guys are like PVEers coming to the PVP forum and complaining about how PVP is bad, or vice versa. And I'm sure you dislike those people as well.

Edited by Devlonir

I´m sure BW put some work into this, but they should really start calling this a MINIGAME and tell us something about "real" space ASAP.

The space missions are fun every now and then, but that´s it. I hope the graphics assets are re-used for the bigger project, otherwise it almost seems like a waste of resources, since long term replayability is not too good...

Also.. what´s with the desperate catering for the damn "low end systems", is that really necessary?

Nothing about the SW IP was about "Low end" better start pushing the boundaries like Chris Roberts does with Star Citizen.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

We've been asking for more minigames and diversions as an alternative to Ops/FPs/PVP. This is great, and offers an alternative way to gear up and progress. I'm very excited about this and is another example of the type of content that brought me back to the game.

Kudos! I can't wait to try it and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next. I think the game is headed in a positive direction.

That said, I also believe this is something to tide us over while bigger things are in the works, but it's a start.

I'm trying to stay positive, constructive, and supportive here. No doubt Bioware is very aware we want cantina games, pod racing, full free roaming space combat, and sandbox elements. I have full confidence that if these things are at all possible, they are on the way. I'm applauding one small step in that direction. Here's something mini-game related, and it's a start.

Thanks!

I can see this getting some hate but.. I actually cannot wait until they're released.

Well if they are better versions of what we've got they will be better.

However Star Wars Fox can never compare to the likes of Jump to Lightspeed or any of the myriad of other Star Wars free flight space games.

The only people who will be happy with this are those that enjoy a small mini game, well thats perfect bioware if you want swtor to remain small, and some years latter to be remembered as the worse star wars failure in history. Swg had its problems and its bad history. This being said its failure is becoming a small foot note compared to swtors. As the majority have already said we are not happy with the way space is.

For the love of mercy you have star wars space fanatics all over the place, if your not sure how to implement it into the game THEN ASK?! The rail system MUST be removed, if swtor is to go from common to uncommon . Consider this if your aims are about money, then you must look at the long term goal.

I am well aware of the facts that companies are price fixing everything these days, also that they only see short term, and they dont like to spend the money field a good product. If you ever want a return, and want that gigantic star wars fan base, then you better start considering the words sandbox, and jump to light speed.

Wow, a lot of childish whiners in here, most of which seem to have no clue about how development of an MMORPG works. You can't just assign all devs to work on something. *rolls eyes*

You could assign them to NOT work on something though. :csw_yoda:

Making more Star Wars Fox isn't really a step forward for the game, what we have isn't even a great version OF Star Fox - although new inside missions will help that a bit it's still lacking planet combat, thrusters, AI wingmen and bosses at the very least to make it as fun as Star Fox [1993]............ never mind co-op/multiplayer which Star Fox has had since SF64 in 1997.

If they want to make Star Wars Fox then they still need to INNOVATE to make it better. :cool:

Wow, a lot of childish whiners in here, most of which seem to have no clue about how development of an MMORPG works. You can't just assign all devs to work on something. *rolls eyes*

I second this. I'm looking forward to trying out the new missions. Thanks, BW!

The vastness of space. Mostly unexplored, yet teeming with life and possibilities.

I had trouble making it through the first paragraph in the blog, so lets talk about the first sentance. Described is the appeal of open 3D space as seen in the in 2004's Jump to Lightspeed. Yet this game has no open 3D space. "The vastness of space" does not describe space that is a series of tubes. "Mostly unexplored" does not describe a minigame where every inch of the space you can go to is visited every time you play it. " yet teeming with life and possibilities." does not describe a mission in which every single enemy appears at the same moment every time according to the script.

Look at the paragraph below and think of space in TOR as it is now:

Many spacers enjoy the serenity of the stars, the peace of floating through the Unknown Regions, wondering if they’re seeing events and phenomena never before witnessed by intelligent life. But for others, space is just another battleground in the Great War. It can be used as a place to hide from enemies, but more often it’s where the greatest warriors of the stars prove their skill… and their loyalty
:rolleyes:

Space missions get a lot of hate on the forums but there's actually a surprising number of players who enjoy them, and play them often. Assuming no one likes something just because you don't is pretty short-sighted.

I am one of those who love space missions but I used to be a hater. I did not play space missions at all. After I saw Pilot armor I tried couple and fell in love. Oh, also, to make it even better I usually turn on some songs about space like Europe-The Final Countdown :D!

My best achievement was finishing all space missions without buying all upgrades for my ship. What I would like to see is more adaptable gear only available at Space Mission Vendors for some good amount of commendations or only if you achieve something during the battle. Maybe some speeders too? More titles, also. Maybe a title for finishing "xxx" mission without going below 80% of your ship's HP. I am sure these things do not cost a lot and would be really nice motivation for those who do not see the point and a good reward for us who love Space.

Space missions ?

Does bioware realize that some (perhaps many) people still "doing" those have just scripted their runs as much as the missions are. The only "pleasure" in that is the reward they get at the end. They don't need to "play" just to launch the program who click for them all the way through.

Space missions ? There's no missions in that narrow space ...

When i ear things like "we dedicated a all team to develop the heroic space missions" it makes my ears bleed.

Go take a look at http://privateer.sourceforge.net/ it's done by amateurs and it's free ... if they can do it, shouldn't you ?

So, for once tell us why you've made that choice of a rail shooter against every advice that was given to you ?

Is it :"Now that we're in it we can't do anything else" ?

Or : "The decision is imposed on us by <insert name> and they have every power on us" ?

Or : "We are under a warrant by the US governement" ?

Whatever, tell us why you stay on that course to oblivion.

I Feel that Bioware can make a PvP space battle and profit from taking such risks. This is how:

- Releasing a huge expansion(s) that adds PvP space battles and things that go along with it. ( specializations, cosmetics to ship, upgrades, etc)

- Releasing a 10 to 20 buck expansion that added such thing would be something i would most definitely buy. ( sweeten the deal with level cap increase or new species and specializations.)

- Keep in mind, the last Star Wars game was a bust. With one redeeming quality that kept it alive as long as it did. The addition of space battles.

I understand making PvP space battles would be a game within itself. Requiring some man hours to cook up such thing. Yet,I can see a great money making opportunity and a way to make this game more fun. It would entice more people to try this game. just something you guys should think about. PvP space battles = my money and time