Most needed role?

bluewhaleofdoom

I'd say it depends on your Server. On mine... ;)

- DPS tend to be fairly common anyway, so PUGging on those character I find slightly harder in general, as the spots are the fastest to be filled. That said, PUGgers on my server tend to know my main Sorc DPS most of the time and are sure I'll pull my weight. On him in particular, never had a problem. On my DPS alts, all less geared, on the other hand... :p

- Healers are often in very high demand, but I see the two spots be filled relatively fast. Now, that those who fill them are actually competent is another matter entirely. I offhealed my fair share of fights as DPS, myself. :D

- Tanks are in my experience the hardest to find. Those who PUG are either so well geared that it requires some inhumane level of bad play to screw them over, or are new guys who need to learn still. Little middle ground, in my experience, but most of the times they're the hardest to find because they're the ones that are blamed the most by pretty much everyone unless they're severely overgeared. :o

That said, my suggestion is to have a look on fleet, the most common place where ppl organizes PUGs still, at which roles get filled the fastest.

Consider that having an 8m team fill DPS in half an hour is already long, while waiting more than 20 minutes for Tanks and Healers is a given, unless someone luckily is passing by on just the role that was needed. GL! :)

What roles are most needed in PVE pugs?

Tank's and Healer's are the most needed roles by far. The majority of people play DPS roles and there are usually more Healer's around than there are Tank's, therefore Tank's are the most needed. (At least, this has been my experience in not only this game but in all the other games I've played as well.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For story mode ops and stuff like that, I agree that tanks and heals are needed more than DPS, but for the harder content, I think things change a bit. It feels like it's harder to find strong DPS for progression stuff. It seems like most DPS you come across just don't pull the numbers needed to clear that content, but tanks and healers are easier to come by. Granted, I play healers, but still. It has also seemed that way to me in other games that are similar to SWTOR, for what it's worth.

Tanks BY FAR. Healers 2nd place. Tho there seems to be way more healers than tanks and then an ocean of DPS. I still don't see why there's so many DPS players, DPS is the most boring role to play.

DPS Not fun? yeah what isnt fun about killing things in video games....

tank class is horrible to play. I mysefl play mostly healers and DPS.

Edited by Spartanik

What roles are most needed in PVE pugs?

• Situationally-aware Tanks
  • Situationally-aware Healers
  • Situationally-aware DPS

Tanks and Healers tend to be the ones that hold up queues, because, as the saying goes, DPS are a dime a dozen, but good DPS are rare as hen's teeth and worth just as much as a good Tank or Healer in terms of 'need'.

Edited by AlixMV

If all you are planning to do is storymode pugging- roll a tank, you will hardly ever have issues with finding groups.

If you aim to do some HM\NiM content later, still roll a tank, get full token gear for your DPS and get good on it. Geared and skilled DPS is by far the most sought after role for HM operations.

I'll have to agree with the sentiment here. Tanks are the toughest to find generally (which is good for me, I enjoy tanking the most). While my guild has really great DPS players, the need for great DPS becomes painfully obvious when you start HM's. No matter how great your tanks and healers are you get smoked on enrage if you don't down the boss fast enough :p.

If you want the shortest GF que times, tanks :).

If all you are planning to do is storymode pugging- roll a tank, you will hardly ever have issues with finding groups.

If you aim to do some HM\NiM content later, still roll a tank, get full token gear for your DPS and get good on it. Geared and skilled DPS is by far the most sought after role for HM operations.

That. Except you can start rolling other content on DPS if you're good. Starting gearing rolling a healer is OK too, healed DP HM on the first week of 4.0 with my mostly 192 sorcheal (and I'm a horrible healer, really). Swapped out for Council but they told me it was way easier than Calphy/Raptus, so I guess being a mediocre healer at best still lets you clear stuff and gear up.

Good DPS are hard to find, and tanking/healing content you know by heart is meh. Roll another DPS class, feel different. Roll another tank, do mostly the same. That's why most players roll DPS imo, and that's why it's hard at times to make your pug have enough dps for encounter.

But, if you're a really devoted DPS, you can as well clear stuff in considerably sub-par gear, except for tanks/heals gear checks are milder.

But get your awareness/mechanics/knowledge of the class to decent level and you'd be welcome on any role in HM pug. In SM pugs they'll still need tanks, however...