Crystal Hunt or Lootbox Craze? Pick your poison..

DarthSealth

I liked the 4.0 gearing system that allowed us to collect WZ comms, which then let us buy gears off vendors.

This gearing system also had mods, enhancements, implants, earpieces, all with specialized stats so you could customize your toons with exact stats you wanted that you could buy off the vendors with the WZ comms.

This gearing system also allowed you to trade WZ comms between your alts. Lowbies, mids, and cap level PVP accrued these WZ comms, so all tiers of PVP were able to be used to gear any alts you wanted.

Obviously this old system was highly versatile, and it enabled you to gear for PVP in a very straight forward manner allowing tons of customization.

The best part was as a PVPer, I could gear up doing nothing but PVP.

Edited by Lhancelot

I liked the 4.0 gearing system that allowed us to collect WZ comms, which then let us buy gears off vendors.

This gearing system also had mods, enhancements, implants, earpieces, all with specialized stats so you could customize your toons with exact stats you wanted that you could buy off the vendors with the WZ comms.

This gearing system also allowed you to trade WZ comms between your alts. Lowbies, mids, and cap level PVP accrued these WZ comms, so all tiers of PVP were able to be used to gear any alts you wanted.

Obviously this old system was highly versatile, and it enabled you to gear for PVP in a very straight forward manner allowing tons of customization.

The best part was as a PVPer, I could gear up doing nothing but PVP.

Funny enough I enjoyed that system and I also had probably the most fun with various content like Eternal Championship and Flashpoints. The best part was I found all content fun which I don't find it really is now the population was a lot bigger back then I put most of that down to the DVL lootbox craze although that was a fun and rewarding. However that was the trial to see if RNG gear boxes would work I think.

I've stated it in other threads but probably won't see something major till like 6.0 but I'd like to see:

1. Bring back PvP gear with expertise
  2. Have two currencies: Crystals for PvE only gear, Commendations for PvP only gear.
  3. Only earn Crystals via PvE activities including: Heroics, OPS, FPs, Conquest, Weeklies
  4. Commendations earned via PvP only activities including: GSF, WZs, Arenas, Weekies
  5. PvP only needs Commendations to purchase with higher Tiers requiring more Commendations
  6. PvE only needs Crystals only, or Slot specific token from OPS boss drop plus 50% or 40% less crystals to purchase with higher tier's costing more crystals.
  7. When new tier's added, lowest tier goes to vendor who sells for credits only, newest tier goes to most expensive list.
  8. PvP / PvE Augment schematics that can be purchased from special vendors for Crystals / Commendations.
  9. Separate Augments for PvP / PvE.

Neither.

I've mostly ignored Cxp grinding and now have decided to entirely skip Crystal Hunting. The only thing that I'll be doing to further my gear is the weekly (10 quest) mission for a piece of gear.

I'm done wasting my time with this farce.

Neither.

I stopped playing for some time at the beginning of 5.0 due to the rng lootbox system and very limited ways to gear via pvp.

Now this crystal system is bad for pvp warzone players despite tons of feedback on PTS and beyond. I gave it a try and farmed daily pve quests and killed world bosses for some weeks, and I love this game, but even I have limits. Since two weeks ago I feel nauseous at the thought of logging in. Today I finally decided to log in but only to play some warzones and just give up on farming this gear. I want to play to have fun, not to run chores.

It's such a shame though, that such long convoluted gear grinds eventually decrease the quality of warzones. Due to 258 being hard to acquire, and bolster being ~10% behind, there will be a lot of gear imbalance in pvp.

I much preferred the unassembled components system + t4 we had before this. I also played much more then. Gearing up was actually fun as we could gear up by doing what we wanted. When I had fully geared I still kept playing. If this crystal system was designed to keep people playing by grinding gear, it's having the opposite effect on me.

The best system was the separate pvp and pve gear with pvp commendations. Though as I've said before, for any future installment of that, bolster would need to be improved so that pve gear is still viable in pvp.

Edit: Reward progression in pvp doesn't have to be gear-based though. Bolster could be set to the max attainable gear level, and rewards from pvp could be cosmetics. There would also be a vendor selling "pvp gear" for cheap plus mods/enhs for mixing stats.That would also be very likeable to me. Of course bolster would have to work well so that high end pve gear wouldn't get stat advantages.

Edited by Neulwen

Neither.

I've mostly ignored Cxp grinding and now have decided to entirely skip Crystal Hunting. The only thing that I'll be doing to further my gear is the weekly (10 quest) mission for a piece of gear.

I'm done wasting my time with this farce.

watch out coz hunting only 252 gear will lead you to have plenty of relics and rare armor parts

my mando already has 3 relics

watch out coz hunting only 252 gear will lead you to have plenty of relics and rare armor parts

my mando already has 3 relics

Such is true, I've gotten a lot of that. What I do to rid myself of unwanted stuff is disintegrate them for UC's to use on alt's, that way it all ends up being useful still (the pieces give atleast 175 UC's).

Such is true, I've gotten a lot of that. What I do to rid myself of unwanted stuff is disintegrate them for UC's to use on alt's, that way it all ends up being useful still (the pieces give atleast 175 UC's).

but we dont know what armor part will be till we open it and see it in our inventory, to disintegrate it, we need to do it while is still into its reward pack, only solution is to run 10 dailies in multiple chars that we dont want to armor up them so to gain only 175 UCs that are still small amount

Yeah, but here's the thing. You need 1500 unassembled components (if done over 3 weeks, 2000 if done over two weeks) to get enough MDCs for just one 252 piece, and a cheap one at that. That means it will take 9 disintegrations to get enough UCs. Is a one in nine chance to get the piece you want reasonable? I think its a fair point for debate either way. That number goes up for more expensive pieces, and for that off-class piece you need to optimize your stats. Remember, the reason you are disassembling the piece is because you don't need it … and for the foreseeable future, that likely means you need a different piece for your main … not that you are stockpiling for alts.

175 is a much better number than the absurdly low 10 we get for 248s though, so I guess I can be grateful for that.

1. Bring back PvP gear with expertise
  2. Have two currencies: Crystals for PvE only gear, Commendations for PvP only gear.
  3. Only earn Crystals via PvE activities including: Heroics, OPS, FPs, Conquest, Weeklies
  4. Commendations earned via PvP only activities including: GSF, WZs, Arenas, Weekies
  5. PvP only needs Commendations to purchase with higher Tiers requiring more Commendations
  6. PvE only needs Crystals only, or Slot specific token from OPS boss drop plus 50% or 40% less crystals to purchase with higher tier's costing more crystals.
  7. When new tier's added, lowest tier goes to vendor who sells for credits only, newest tier goes to most expensive list.
  8. PvP / PvE Augment schematics that can be purchased from special vendors for Crystals / Commendations.
  9. Separate Augments for PvP / PvE.

The only thing I would add is to have the PVE gear still dropping from GC. I know people dislike it, but it works well as a side gearing, not as the main gearing. Even pvp gear could drop from it with some form of toggle, PVE focus or PVP focus, which gives stats gear for each respective group. Additional gear is only a good thing, and I still like GC in concept, and the execution is pretty decent, at this point.

As I said in the other thread, on paper I'd prefer crystals because it removes the RNG aspect. I'd rather be able to buy what I need. But in practice the boxes and UCs are what I would prefer because I am never going to do any of the things that lead to crystals and the exchange rate for UCs is too rich for my blood.

The only thing I would add is to have the PVE gear still dropping from GC. I know people dislike it, but it works well as a side gearing, not as the main gearing. Even pvp gear could drop from it with some form of toggle, PVE focus or PVP focus, which gives stats gear for each respective group. Additional gear is only a good thing, and I still like GC in concept, and the execution is pretty decent, at this point.

I'd rather remove all aspect of RNG include GC from the equation. Even with OPS bosses each boss should always drop a specific slot token as they do now where Boss A always drops a gloves token that any class can use.

RNG just should just be fully removed which is why I feel Heroics for the planets should drop crystals for PvE. Then just have a rotation daily bonus like now where one day OPS rewards 10% or 20% crystals for the day. Then next day it's Heroics.

Heck even add the PvE Space Combat missions with an associated weekly that rewards crystals for completing the weekly.

Remove RNG, add choices and just let players choose how they want to earn them. Of course the cost values should be high enough to ensure that people can't buy pieces too quickly yet not too high to where it takes forever to earn enough crystals or Commendations.

Mainly just get rid of the RNG and allow for more okayer choice.

Yeah, but here's the thing. You need 1500 unassembled components (if done over 3 weeks, 2000 if done over two weeks) to get enough MDCs for just one 252 piece, and a cheap one at that. That means it will take 9 disintegrations to get enough UCs. Is a one in nine chance to get the piece you want reasonable? I think its a fair point for debate either way. That number goes up for more expensive pieces, and for that off-class piece you need to optimize your stats. Remember, the reason you are disassembling the piece is because you don't need it … and for the foreseeable future, that likely means you need a different piece for your main … not that you are stockpiling for alts.

175 is a much better number than the absurdly low 10 we get for 248s though, so I guess I can be grateful for that.

True, but the UC's won't be going toward 252 gear for alt's, only 236 - 248 (so not a bad amount), only my main will be 252 geared. I neither have the time, patience, nor interest to spend time grinding to gear up alt's to 252.

On a different note, the loot box 252 crate does show what piece of gear you get, followed by a disintegration or claim option. 9/10 I choose to disintegrate, because I either have it already or have no use for the piece.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

I'm very ok with the concept of the crystals, being a concept of you advance "no faster" than x per week. Problem is the execution is horrible. 1 week can be 10 minutes, the next 5+ hours.

Exactly, it's very inconsistent and I'd end up taking part in quests that I REALLY don't want to do: GSF in which I rarely ever get a win or even play, MM Fp's that are far too much work for one measly crystal, and who knows what else.

I was fine with it when there was the 8 silver medals in PVP and had hoped other quests would've been similar, but no. Hence, me putting an end to the whole thing.

That is like asking whether I want to be punched in the face or kicked in the shin.

The answer of course is neither - which is why I've pretty much stopped playing as well as cancelled my sub.

If and when they add new content, I'll check back and see if the content holds interest.

But grinding gear for gear's sake is not something I enjoy and therefore not something I will do.