Companion Changes in 4.0.2

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

If you haven’t yet seen the 4.0.2 patch notes, you can view them here. There are some patch notes that we wanted to highlight and talk about specifically.

• Companion base stats have been reduced.
  • Companion damage and healing output has been reduced.

Some of you will certainly ask, why the need to nerf Companions? This is something that we definitely saw the community be divided on, and it was good for us to hear feedback from both sides. Ultimately, this decision came down to our own goals for Companions, along with data on how they were performing. What we saw in those instances is that Companions, simply put, were just way too good. Their healing and damage output could be greater than that of a very skilled player with a fully maximized character. In order for you to understand why we are making these changes, we thought it best to explain our goals for Companions in Fallen Empire.

In KotFE, with a large focus on going back to story, we wanted to make sure that all of our story content was accessible to all of our players. The power that Companions bring to the table, definitely played a part in that accessibility. Companions, from a combat perspective, should complement and provide support to your character, not overshadow them. However, in looking at how strong Companions are, we may have gone a bit too far in that direction. Simply put, while playing through much of the game, there are a lot of situations in regular combat where it is practically impossible for you to be killed if you have a healing Companion. Although this can be fun for a time, this wasn’t our goal. Companions should be strong, they should fill any role you need, but they should not make your actual gameplay be overshadowed by how strong they are.

So with 4.0.2 we have brought their effectiveness down quite a bit, let’s talk about some of the specifics here:

• There isn’t a flat % that healing was reduced by. Effectiveness reduction varies greatly depending on level, Influence, level sync, etc. That being said, the healer companions are still quite competitive, but they no longer trivialize content that was meant to be challenging.
  • Healing power increase by Influence level has been increased. That means that as you scale up Influence levels with a Companion they will get more powerful per level than before. This helps to offset the base healing reduction a bit as you gain influence with your companion.

We did want to make some improvements to tanking Companions:

• We increased the threat generated by tank companions, so they should be able to hold the attention of enemy NPCs better than before.
  • We fixed an issue involving the tank companion’s mass grapple ability, it will no longer pull in enemies that are out of combat.

Will your Companions feel a bit weaker than they did when KotFE launched? Yes. But believe me they will still carry their weight and fill the role you need them to in combat. All that we ask is that you log in tomorrow, and check the changes yourself. Play around with the Companions in each role and let us know your feedback. Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just one question then eric:

for those of us who like to play solo like me, will I still be able to go through with my healing companion and do the weekly heroics to build our influence/alliance? because right now that's all I've got to work with solo wise.

I'm glad to hear that I will be the focus of the gameplay throughout the story now rather than my companion. Regardless of my agreement with you, I appreciate the post explaining the thought process. I'd like to see it a bit earlier so it doesn't seem to blow up overnight from datamining, however. :cool:

Why no set numbers? Even scaling there has to be a set per scaled level.

But I will try, as mu sub runs out on the 22nd. However I still think as a company you need to look at QA and testing policies.

I also think that you should remove the ability to call them in TFPs and HMFPs. These are supposed to be done by 4 players sans companions. This would solve some other reported problems...

for those of us who like to play solo like me, will I still be able to go through with my healing companion and do the weekly heroics to build our influence/alliance? because right now that's all I've got to work with solo wise.

If you cant solo the Heroic, that is not a problem with the game, that is a problem with your play style. Do the STORY mode for solo.....

Why play a MMO? There is tons to do in this game that does not require grouping.

If you cant solo the Heroic, that is not a problem with the game, that is a problem with your play style. Do the STORY mode for solo.....

Why play a MMO? There is tons to do in this game that does not require grouping.

i'm talking about the heroic 2's on the terminals.

Just silly you must be an ex wow player you know mmo has nothing to do with forced grouping.

Online world filled with other players : MMO : Massive Multiplayer Online

Will your Companions feel a bit weaker than they did when KotFE launched? Yes. But believe me they will still carry their weight and fill the role you need them to in combat. All that we ask is that you log in tomorrow, and check the changes yourself. Play around with the Companions in each role and let us know your feedback. Thanks everyone.

Will do. Thanks.

I have the same question. I am betting that either you wont be able to, or it will be quite a bit more difficult to do so. I am betting there will be mixed results. the Heroics on the lower end will be manageable, The heroics on the higher end will not.

Same question here for me --- if I have to grind to get good alliance stats -- ok -- that's cool, I will -- but please, please make it fun and not the horrible grind it is in most games -- THAT's what make your game unique and why I always came back to it ...

That is also my question - can I do the weekly H2 solo or not. If not, there is no reason to pay any longer my subscription because H2 are the best way to build up the influence on the compagion or the alliance chars.

• Dev Post

Absolutely! It certainly may be a bit more challenging than before but you can complete them. The intent is that you can complete any [Heroic 2] with your Companion counting as one of the two. If you find this isn't true for any Heroics tomorrow, let us know.

-eric

Were tank companions fixed, they have 0 armor rating at 65 and the shield chance/absorb ratings aren't giving them any actual %'s because they don't have a shield "equipped"

Has Veeroa Denz been fixed yet, she is a Force user with Force skill sets who is getting tech power instead of Force power.

Hey folks,

[*]We increased the threat generated by tank companions, so they should be able to hold the attention of enemy NPCs better than before.

-eric

I hope you increased it by about 8000% then, cos even at rank 50 tank companions still absolutely cannot hold aggro at all.

Hey folks,

Their healing and damage output could be greater than that of a very skilled player with a fully maximized character. In order for you to understand why we are making these changes, we thought it best to explain our goals for Companions in Fallen Empire.

-eric

Also, for Tacticals I hope the devs realize that the problem wasn't just that companions are too powerful, its that players are too weak, especially at low level.

Edited by DarthZaul

Reducing base stats?

I just went from optimistic to cautious. I commend you for posting this now and opening it to discussion.

I would like to ask...who decided to release them in their current state....could it have been the same person that released the CSM in its prior state?

Probably not, I know, but it does seem like there is a pattern here.

Again, good move opening it up for discussion now. That helps I think, as long as you guys are willing to continue to engage players...this is not something you should just let happen without discussing it with the community.

I ask that you remain engaged in this conversation as often as you can find time.

Here is my take, which you will likely not agree with, but I STRONGLY recommend you consider....I offer this blindly of course.

Influence should have a MUCH stronger effect at higher levels. The boost is likely not enough, or more accurately will not be enough to placate players that will not be happy with this change.

Healing, however, should likely remain at the levels you have set. The strength should sit in total health and DPS ability, not healing.

Remember, you chose to remove gearing companions....this was something that I expect the community DID NOT ASK FOR. The onus is on YOU as a company to make this rather dramatic change palatable.

Edited by LordArtemis

Just silly you must be an ex wow player you know mmo has nothing to do with forced grouping.

Online world filled with other players : MMO : Massive Multiplayer Online

Yes for Groups I do FPs. OPs or Battlegrounds and in the time I wait for invite I want to do my weekly H2 for upgrade the influence.

Edited by Master_Morak

Absolutely! It certainly may be a bit more challenging than before but you can complete them. The intent is that you can complete any [Heroic 2] with your Companion counting as one of the two. If you find this isn't true for any Heroics tomorrow, let us know.

-eric

Since companions are now just skins with insane influence grinds can we expect to see them legacy side?.

I only use one companion now because i see no point in it.

Edited by Heromofo