Can somebody explain to me the logic of slicing?

KeltonDavis

I am BH, cybertech, scavenging. Underworld trading seems the logical choice for this combo for recipes. But i decided to go with slicing to be different from the rest of the crowd.

I am making tons of money, but why is this profession in the game? What purpose does it serve, and in the end, which is the better choice? I am level 24 with 70k credits already, im not sure if thats above normal but thats alot more than I had in beta at the same level.

I played up to level 45 in beta but didn't really focus on professions.

Any insight is appreciated from people who have some experience in this. Thanks!

Here's the codex entry in game for slicing:

Slicing is not a skill required for crafting. Slicing is the art of accessing secure computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable items, credits and rare tech schematics. Common slicing targets include electronic safes, data stations, security mainframes and biometric footlockers. These targets contain credits, rare tech schematics used to construct Cybertech gadgets, vehicles and space upgrades, and mission discovery objects that unlock challenging missions that can potentially yield great rewards. Slicers can send their companions on missions to retrieve these valuable items. Other possible mission rewards include augments that can be slotted into exceptionally crafted items. Recommended Crafting Skills: All (for mission discoveries), Cybertech (for tech schematics).

Does that answer your question?

It is a gathering profession that especially caters towards those that have little to no interest in production skills as well as those who don't care to raise up their production skill until they hit max level... in which they could take slicing and then drop it when they hit 50 for their appropriate crafting skill.

I guess the main issue I have with this is, there is no clear answer to why slicing is straight money and which brings in better schematics for cybertech. It just confuses me because like many others in other mmos I have played there usually isn't a profession where you just gather money.

The "recognized" Cybertech gathering skill (cannot remember the name after a day at work and not much coffee) will have a greater chance to give you the better resources for Cybertech than Slicing does.

Yes, slicing will give you Cybertech schematics, but if you level to 400 you will find that over time you get fewer Cybertech schems through slicing than you will through the other gathering prof.

At least, that is where my experience was heading during beta - I never actually reached 400 in any of the crafting skills.

I used slicing in the beta, it was very nice for the extra credit flow. I also got locked mission items for all professions, never found one for myself tho :rolleyes: I also found epic items mostly mods for sabers and armor. Id say take the skill on a alt, and keep the crafting gathering skills for your main to use. It does help quite a bit leveling up your crafting as you level your character. But commendation badges help quite a bit too so its a toss up.

Thanks for the replies, i guess it is still up in the air.. as more people reach max level im sure we will get some more solid info on which skill is actually better. The codex makes slicing sound appealing.. i am 150 slicing right now and I have yet to find a useful schematic however.