Dear Devs: I'm so sorry

It is interesting that the KOTFE/KOTET characters are so much more developed than the Disney Star Wars films. I much prefer Lana over Rey and even Koth over Finn, and Theron over Poe. You do have to give the writers credit for some great story telling. No story is perfect, but I also prefer KOTFE and KOTET to Force Awakens and TLJ. Valkorian >Snoke for sure.

WOW...

Did anyone point out how stupid this sentence is? I'm all for using hyperbole and stuff, but "true suffering"? Really?

From what I read here, you are still an "ungrateful spoiled brat" if the fact that you didn't like a movie, which is made for general entertainment, makes you truly suffer. Not liking, or even hating the movie is one thing. It can make you sad, but, once again, "true suffering"? Being a big fan of a universe is fun, but sounds like you're taking all this way too seriously.

PS: "true suffering" lmao

Good grief, the op is obviously speaking with tongue in cheek. Stop taking the facetious literally.

TLJ

I do wish SWG was still around so I could play Two Star Wars games though.

IF they took the base game of SWG and built a new game (without the bugs etc..) I would not only pre-order but would gladly help fund it...

SWG refined is what many games are trying to be now...but are falling short. Many people hate on SWG and rightfully so...It was way ahead of its time and as a result had a rough time...Not to mention the insanely bad management of SOE.

I still hope they do a reboot of that game someday...

Sorry...Off topic.

Star Wars is in a bad place as a franchise right now and Disney knows that... Question is will they bother to try and change or just trudge forward and continue to diminish one of the greatest franchises of all time...

SWToR is a good game it just never became a great one.

Edited by Soljin

Star Wars is in a bad place as a franchise right now and Disney knows that... Question is will they bother to try and change or just trudge forward and continue to diminish one of the greatest franchises of all time...

I'm not sure Disney would agree with you. They clearly measure franchise success differently then fans do. And so far, there are really no objective signs of franchise erosion with Star Wars yet. Is it changing and evolving? Absolutely. Does that mean it is eroding? Maybe to some die hard classic SW fans... but as a whole.. there are little commercial signs of the franchise eroding as you claim. And just because a movie does not do as well as some fans would like.. means little in the bottom line calculus about the franchise. The franchise generally earns way more revenue from merchandising and continued distribution and releases of the movie in other media (DVD, on demand, etc.) then it does from the theatrical release. As long as a movie at least breaks even in theatrical release, it is a success for Disney due to all the secondary revenue from licensing and redistributions. Disney has been in the movie and entertainment business for many decades..... so they know what they are doing and they know success from failure.

SWToR is a good game it just never became a great one.

On this point.. I agree. Thing is.. an MMO does not need to be great... good is perfectly fine for many players and certainly for the company that operates it. Not every MMO can be an 800 lb gorilla... not do they need to be.

In my view.. it tends to be the more tribal minded (us VS them) players that tend to complain if an MMO is not number 1 or 2 in the market... does not have millions of players... yada yada.

Edited by Andryah

Thing is.. an MMO does not need to be great...

It seems like in almost every case if you ask a MMO gamer what the greatest MMO of all time is/was, they almost always say the first one they ever became addicted to.

Seems we all are chasing that first MMO high, and it probably will forever elude us. I doubt there will ever be another "great" MMO in any of our eyes.

Edited by Lhancelot

I think it is great that you can self-assess and see that you over-reacted.

Maybe next time step back and think it through before going full buzzsaw over a game and the decisions by it's producers. :)

What could have been a wholesome response, you just had to ruin it with that last sentence, didn't you? :)

Edited by DarthWoad

I'm not sure Disney would agree with you. They clearly measure franchise success differently then fans do. And so far, there are really no objective signs of franchise erosion with Star Wars yet. Is it changing and evolving? Absolutely. Does that mean it is eroding? Maybe to some die hard classic SW fans... but as a whole.. there are little commercial signs of the franchise eroding as you claim. And just because a movie does not do as well as some fans would like.. means little in the bottom line calculus about the franchise. The franchise generally earns way more revenue from merchandising and continued distribution and releases of the movie in other media (DVD, on demand, etc.) then it does from the theatrical release. As long as a movie at least breaks even in theatrical release, it is a success for Disney due to all the secondary revenue from licensing and redistributions. Disney has been in the movie and entertainment business for many decades..... so they know what they are doing and they know success from failure.

On this point.. I agree. Thing is.. an MMO does not need to be great... good is perfectly fine for many players and certainly for the company that operates it. Not every MMO can be an 800 lb gorilla... not do they need to be.

In my view.. it tends to be the more tribal minded (us VS them) players that tend to complain if an MMO is not number 1 or 2 in the market... does not have millions of players... yada yada.

Your response is interesting...It works off the concept that large established companies cannot make critical mistakes in regards to the SW IP...considering we are on an EA forum I find that funny...

Yes most games especially MMOs are mediocre at best...they all collect their participation medal...its inspiring.

Edited by Soljin

I'll never understand why people dislike TLJ. Movie was fantastic. Thankfully ya'll are in the minority though as it had an A+ cinemascore from exit polling of people that saw it in theaters.

I can see why some people dislike TLJ, some more heavily than others when it didn't meet their expectations or it wasn't same as in Legends, though not me. I personally loved it and consider it as my favorite Star Wars-film now.

Your response is interesting...It works of the concept that large established companies cannot make critical mistakes in regards to the SW IP...considering we are on an EA forum I find that funny...

Yes most games especially MMOs are mediocre at best...they all collect their participation medal...its inspiring.

Actually, my response works on the concept that a business looks at how it manages it's valuable IP differently than consumers. As such... consumer sentiment is simply one of many many variables a studio looks at when it extends a franchise with new releases.

I get that some fans are simply not fans of the way Disney is using the IP it owns. However, Disney is one of the most commercially successful studios in the industry at IP acquisition, management and application. So as long as they internally see the IP use meeting their corporate expecations/goals..... there is simply no commercial issue for them. [Note: this in no way means that they are perfect and extract the absolute maximum value out of every use of their IP.... because by definition the Movie industry is a fickle business.... and for a lot more reasons than just armchair critique by IP fans].

Keep in mind Disney is doing something with the SW IP nobody (most especially Lucas) ever did ---> actually expanding the franchise beyond just the classic 70s era Sith VS Jedi dark VS light conflicts. Broadly speaking.. there is so much more to the SW universe than Sith VS Jedi.... and personally I like that Disney is able to see well beyond Lucas traditional and very protectionist views about the franchise.

Lucas penned his first screenplay in the early 70s.. and that screenplay actually encompassed all 9 episodes of Star Wars... but he had such a monster on his hands he had to break it up in pieces to make movies from it in an episodic manner. Why Lucas would then take 30 years to fully dribble out movies from the original screenplay framework remains a mystery.... though he always claimed he was just waiting for movie technology to catch up with him (which I think is BS).. remains a mystery. Disney has no such feelings of constraint and also gets to leverage off of the wide ranging expansion of the SW universe from decades of various print and movie extensions to the original franchise. And Disney has set a pace for 1 new SW movie every year moving forward since they bought the franchise.... and anyone that did not see that resulting in non-traditional Sith VS Jedi... was in my view asleep during the announcements of their plans.

Edited by Andryah

I totally support each person having preferences for what they like or dislike.

That said... I think SW fans have jumped the shark with their outbursts about TLJ and Solo. They act like they personally own the IP and therefore the themes and story... which they do not. There is even an organized crowd funding effort by fans to fund and allegedly force Disney to redo TLJ.... LAMO.

Star Wars is a completely made up fantasy theme (left very open ended by design by Lucas), and heavily based on 50s era weekly space opera episodes in theaters (which Lucas grew up watching). And like all such completely made up themes..... they can and will expand in many different direction over time if they endure with fans. SW is more than 40 years old now, and with Lucas penchant for merchandising and reaping royalties on everything.... the core SW universe has evolved and shifted over time.. and that includes story arcs in various mediums (movies, books, games, etc).

People are free to not give Disney their money if they do not like the direction of any piece of SW entertainment. But to think that they can dictate or control Disney in this regard is absurd. People need to learn some boundaries.. even for their fantasy adventures. :)

No we haven't "jumped the shark" we are clearly unhappy and it's time for Disney to hear us out and do what the fanbase says.

I love Star Wars and it's why I am fully behind the group of loyal fans wanting to redo TLJ. And yes I give out a lot of hate however it's only due to how much I loved the first six films.

I'll never understand why people dislike TLJ. Movie was fantastic. Thankfully ya'll are in the minority though as it had an A+ cinemascore from exit polling of people that saw it in theaters.

Really? Go onto Metacritic more people dislike it then like it.

The fanbase spoke we don't like it.

Really? Go onto Metacritic more people dislike it then like it.

The fanbase spoke we don't like it.

Sites like metacritic and RT are not an accurate eval of movies, especially when they drastically deviate from critic reviews. Its not hard to make a bunch of troll accounts.

https://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/

Cinemascore is SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate than sites like metacritic because cinemascore does exit polls of people who actually saw the film. Case in point, the movie got an A rating. Its pretty easy to write off metacritic and RT and the general loud minority that didn't like TLJ because it didn't conform to a bunch of theories people had. Boo hoo, Luke wasn't the boring, unimaginative, unkillable god he was in the books. TLJ was a fantastic film.

Actually, my response works on the concept that a business looks at how it manages it's valuable IP differently than consumers. As such... consumer sentiment is simply one of many many variables a studio looks at when it extends a franchise with new releases.

I get that some fans are simply not fans of the way Disney is using the IP it owns. However, Disney is one of the most commercially successful studios in the industry at IP acquisition, management and application. So as long as they internally see the IP use meeting their corporate expecations/goals..... there is simply no commercial issue for them. [Note: this in no way means that they are perfect and extract the absolute maximum value out of every use of their IP.... because by definition the Movie industry is a fickle business.... and for a lot more reasons than just armchair critique by IP fans].

Keep in mind Disney is doing something with the SW IP nobody (most especially Lucas) ever did ---> actually expanding the franchise beyond just the classic 70s era Sith VS Jedi dark VS light conflicts. Broadly speaking.. there is so much more to the SW universe than Sith VS Jedi.... and personally I like that Disney is able to see well beyond Lucas traditional and very protectionist views about the franchise.

Lucas penned his first screenplay in the early 70s.. and that screenplay actually encompassed all 9 episodes of Star Wars... but he had such a monster on his hands he had to break it up in pieces to make movies from it in an episodic manner. Why Lucas would then take 30 years to fully dribble out movies from the original screenplay framework remains a mystery.... though he always claimed he was just waiting for movie technology to catch up with him (which I think is BS).. remains a mystery. Disney has no such feelings of constraint and also gets to leverage off of the wide ranging expansion of the SW universe from decades of various print and movie extensions to the original franchise. And Disney has set a pace for 1 new SW movie every year moving forward since they bought the franchise.... and anyone that did not see that resulting in non-traditional Sith VS Jedi... was in my view asleep during the announcements of their plans.

I said the franchise is in a bad place...I didn't mention how. Mostly a reference to multiple games and movies cancelled before completion combined with released games and movies performing below Disney's expectations.

I have high hopes for the Game of Thrones folks putting together some SW films but I have no intention of going to theaters to see Rian Johnsons trilogy...I'm not interested in his approach to SW and I'm sure he is fine with that.

Like you said Disney has opened up the franchise and I hope the result is that there will be movies that I enjoy coming in the near future.

TLJ IMO was a pile of PooDoo!

Edited by Soljin