Please Release the Fifth Ship Type

Caernos

Dear Bioware Game Developers,

I am writing to you to humbly request the fifth ship type be released into Galactic Starfighter. I recognize that there are other parts of SWTOR that you are possibly working on that are taking up a great deal of time. I also realize that there are/were legitimate concerns about the game's balance by adding yet another type of ship. I know all this and yet I would still like to have the fifth ship type released.

Why?

Because I'm tired of reading the same debates and arguments over and over again. It just goes back and forth, back and forth. Gunships are greater than bombers which are greater than scouts which are greater than gunships, and strikes are just underpowered because they want to do everything but don't specialize. And people debate this over and over and over again. Things will quiet down for a little while, only for someone to make a comment about a certain ship or component voicing their thoughts on its functions and use, and the circular discussion starts over again.

And this just repeats all the time.

I get that the meta is currently in an alright place, minus a few tweaks. But I'm getting bored. Please release the fifth ship type so that things are shaken up again. I'll get to read new debates, where people discuss (or argue) about how the fifth ship type fits into the meta; how to fly it, what components are the best, how do you counter it, new strategies for flying in groups, is it overpowered or underpowered. And of course in addition to the new debates I'll get something new to fly and gear up.

So help me bioware devs, you're my only hope.

Cure my boredom by releasing the fifth ship type.

Sincerely

-Cynfor Cinderheart, The Ebon Hawk GSF Pilot

Please note, this is only a semi-serious post. Furthermore, everything stated in this post is my opinion and mine alone. It should not be taken as fact or as a representation of the greater GSF and SWTOR community, I speak solely for myself.

If the content of this post has offended or upsets you in any way, please let me know immediately so that I may make edits accordingly. It is never my intention to harm anyone when I post.

Of course, anyone who wishes to contribute to the thread in any way is welcome to.

Thank you for your time.

What would a 5th ship type be, though? The stealth ships? We have most of the standard "classes" covered.

1. The fast flying / light hitting scout
  2. The "glass cannon" long range gunship
  3. The lumbering "tank" / crowd control bomber
  4. The "jack of all trades, master of none" strike

They could probably shake up the meta a bit by tweaking the strike fighters to be a more effective counter to the bombers without needing to add a whole new type to the mix.

The last thing we want is more untested stuff. Without testing and tuning, the stealth ships will be either too weak or too strong.

Fair point, no one wants a repeat of the 3.0 release debacle. I suppose I could edit and request that the fifth ship type be added to the PTS so that we can help with testing to have it eventually added to the game. Does that sound more reasonable?

What would a 5th ship type be, though? The stealth ships? We have most of the standard "classes" covered.

1. The fast flying / light hitting scout
  2. The "glass cannon" long range gunship
  3. The lumbering "tank" / crowd control bomber
  4. The "jack of all trades, master of none" strike

They could probably shake up the meta a bit by tweaking the strike fighters to be a more effective counter to the bombers without needing to add a whole new type to the mix.

Honestly, I don't really care if the fifth ship type is a stealth class at this point. It could be an ECM ship, pure support ship, whatever and I'd still be happy to fly it. Heck I'd even take the April Fool's Asteroid Ship or a troll ship where for primary weapons I can pick either rapids or ions, and for secondaries I can only pick sab probe, ion missile, emp missile. At least then there would be something new added to the game.

I really like some of the suggestions others have put forward on tweaking the current meta as it is; Verain's numbers thread immediately comes to mind. And I would love if they would buff strikes. But making those minor tweaks doesn't really give us anything new. It makes the meta a little more even, balances things a little better; but in the grand scheme of things everyone's still playing the same game since the last two ships were introduced.

Now, a new map, TDM or Dom would mix things up for a little bit, at least until people figured out all the new subtleties of the layout and flight paths.

A new game mode would be better than a new map. We'd still be flying the same meta but with all new objectives it becomes imperative to adapt for new strategies.

New components; adding existing ones to ships that don't have access already or creating entirely brand new ones that function different than other components; would shake up the game quite a bit too. People would test things, revise opinions on existing fighters, and players would have more variety to fly and hopefully not pigeonholed into particular ships or builds depending on what they wanted to do.

An entirely new ship type, with its own role and components will really shake things up and breathe life into the game, in my opinion at least. As I've said before, there'll be new arguments and debates about what the ship is good for, how does it fit into the existing game, is it over powered or weak. People will spend a great amount of time testing out different components individually and in groups, trying to figure out how best to use the new ship and how best to minimize its effectiveness.

Bottom line, again in my opinion, I think for the game to stay healthy for a long time they need to continually add new things to present new challenges and trials.