Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Concealment PvP help

-hans-gruber-
06.05.2016 , 05:16 PM | #1
Hi, i've recently started getting into concealment with the goal of getting a somewhat decent ranked rating in the future. any tips and tricks or advice for specific 1v1 against certain classes would be greatly appreciated.

ATM i'm running with about 40% crit and 70% surge with no accuracy or alacrity. Rest stacked in power. Is this correct?

My opener is as follows (from stealth) BS-Volatile-VS-Debilitate-Laceratex2... So on. I find myself rooted/stunned/pushed back before i can get my hard stun off against any good player is there a better alternative or something i can do to prevent this?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

LadyDarkkitten
06.06.2016 , 11:32 AM | #2
I'm no expert, but after my backstab I use crippling slash. There aren't that many classes with a nontargeted aoe stun/knback that can respond to that and they normally wait to cc break the debilate or wait until I whitebar them. That gives me time to GET to the debilate hard stun.

Interestingly I've been having alot of trouble tackling snipers and they normally kill me. I don't have an answer for their knback roots, rolls and leg shots. Will be interesting to see who else replies to your thread.
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

QuiveringPotato
06.07.2016 , 07:56 AM | #3
I was writing a giant guide on 1v1 encounters with every class, but I accidentally closed the page and I'm too lazy to retype all of that again.

To help a little though, your gear's fine, and I would try not to use CC in a way that's easy to expect. You should primarily use your CC defensively unless you're able to whitebar your enemy while they have no CC breaker. For instance, say you're fighting a jugg and the fight's been going on for 30 seconds or so, he's at half HP and has already broken a debilitate. Flashbang him now, apply volatile substance, refresh your kolto probes, maybe cast a kolto infusion if necessary, then Snipe > Debilitate > Veiled Strike > Backstab. That's the best use of your CC for purely applying damage. You can use this same series of skills in an opener from stealth with sleep dart instead of flashbang, which basically forces the enemy to CC break immediately, use all their DCDs, and will quite reliably drop most specs to ~50% HP.
Arvengis | Akanias Taleri | Mhyrah | Arcuneth | Tol'ika
Arteum | Celden

The Ebon Hawk <Nerf Operatives> Youtube Channel

-hans-gruber-
06.07.2016 , 12:15 PM | #4
Thanks for the advice, I will put it to use. Are there any good current operative/scoundrel youtubers that you guys recommend for PvP? Preferably with commentary.

Shame about the encounters post, would have been very helpful.

QuiveringPotato
06.09.2016 , 05:02 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by -hans-gruber- View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will put it to use. Are there any good current operative/scoundrel youtubers that you guys recommend for PvP? Preferably with commentary.

Shame about the encounters post, would have been very helpful.

I may write it up again if I'm bored. I don't know of many swtor youtubers in general, but HELOS has some rotation guides that are still useful in 4.0, and I have a Huttball guide video that may be useful while you're still doing regs.

Rotation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rtw2CfH3s

Huttball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTotaIkn1Z0
Arteum | Celden

QuiveringPotato
06.09.2016 , 06:05 AM | #6
Class Encounters:

Inquisitor

Assassin: Fighting an assassin is generally straight forward. Really, you just need to be wary of their burst (it's better than yours), but exploit the fact that they aren't going to be healing up. Unless it's a 1v1 where you need to kill the sin in order to cap the objective, take your time. Try to roll their opening burst if they get the jump on you, and pay attention to their buff bar for Recklessness, the autocrit buff, and the maul proc. If you can't roll and you see that proc come up, use evasion (or if you somehow get down to 30% HP, try to avoid an autocrit assassinate). When you see Shroud, either roll a couple times to dodge any damage they'd do during that, or if you're feeling ballsy, just stay in melee range and spam overload shot (but not if Deflection is also up). Other than that, standard procedures apply, get damage in when you have the opportunity, play defense when you don't. As with all melee classes, you should constantly be attempting to kite; I try to play like a "yo-yo". This is something I learned from playing Lethality, but against melee classes, I only run into 4m when I need to get my procs, otherwise I hover around 10m. You can do something similar in Concealment, especially against a class that doesn't have self healing. If you're waiting for a CD, don't stay in their face! Kite them around.

Sorceror: This one is also straight forward. Ideally, you want to come out of stealth and go completely balls deep. Ignore your own survivability for now, just make that Sorc freak the hell out. Get them to barrier ASAP. Once they do that, take a moment to heal up, reapply your HoTs, see if you can locate where they put their phasewalk, if they did. As soon as their barrier ends, flashbang them before they have a chance to put on a static barrier. Put on Volatile Substance. Cast your snipe 1 second before Enduring Bastion expires, then hit them with a debilitate. Veiled Strike > Backstab will sometimes finish them off, if you have your autocrit back up.

Warrior

Marauder: A good marauder can sometimes be tricky, but is still definitely a one-sided fight in most cases. Unless you're out of DCDs and you get caught with your pants down, a marauder will still be a kill for you. However, you need to be aware and conscious of their high damage and good DCDs. Make sure you identify what spec they're playing, because you'll want to handle each differently: Red lightsaber Form, Juyo is Annihilation. Yellow lightsaber form, Ataru, is Carnage. Blue lightsaber form, Shii-Cho, is Fury. In general, try to kite the marauder unless you're able to get a bunch of damage in at once, or when you have a DCD up like evasion, shield probe or revitalizers. Now, for each spec, you're going to want to be aware of some things. If the Marauder is Annihilation, make sure you hit evasion as soon as you see them pop overcharge saber, those DoTs hurt. If they're carnage, either roll immediately when you see Gore, or stun them. If you can reliably avoid their gore window, you negate a good 90% of their damage. If the Marauder is Fury, try to use your evasion if you see their autocrit proc up, because that autocrit furious strike HURTS. Also, watch for Fury's CC immunity. If you notice yourself being slowed by Force Crush, check their buff bar for the purple icon with a square in the middle of it, I think there's also a graphical indication on their character but it's hard to notice those sometimes. Don't waste your CC. Don't waste any big CDs into Undying Rage, and if possible, wait for their Cloak of Pain to wear off before you even start attacking them.

Juggernaut: Juggs can also be tricky as they're capable of similar damage to a Marauder, but are generally much more resilient. You need to basically stare at a jugg's buff bar, most jugs aren't going to attempt any fancy kiting maneuvers that you need to pay attention to. Watch our for Saber Reflect and Enraged Defense. Never use Corrosive Dart on a juggernaut that hasn't popped Enraged Defense. With juggs, I generally try to also go balls-deep like with a sorc, however, keep their damage in mind. You want them to burn their DCDs quick, because prolonging the fight can be dangerous for you, they're much harder to kite and do much more damage than you do. As soon as you see enraged defense, either stealth out and sap them, or flashbang them. If they're whitebarred and it's up, just kite around using whatever LoS objects are nearby. Once their DCDs are used up, just go in for the kill.

Bounty Hunter

Mercenary: Mercs are generally easy targets. Be wary of electronet, but so long as it's only 1 Mercenary, you should be able to facetank quite a bit. I'd start the fight with the sap opener, get them to pop all their DCDs immediately. From here, they'll probably electronet you (although smart mercs will wait until you've used your CC breaker). If you're netted, simply stay put and pop revitalizers. Refresh your probes, see if you can bait an interrupt with diagnostic scan. If they do, cast a kolto infusion. Use evasion accordingly if they're setting up burst. Once you're free from the net, go back in and go for the kill.

Powertech: Now, this is probably the hardest foe you''ll face other than another operative. Ridiculous burst, high mobility, good defensives when it comes to a 1v1. Generally, I'd try to force their DCDs early, but you have to be CAREFUL. I'd pop revitalizers immediately after you open, and try to roll into them when you get close, don't want to be caught in a carbonize for easy burst setup. Roll when you see both grenades on you, right before they explode, and try to either stun the PT or roll when you see their autocrit and 4 stacks of energy lodes up. Similar to a jugg, when their kolto overload procs, DO NOT keep fighting them. CC them and hide. Stealth out if necessary, but try to keep the PT in combat with a DoT or stop them from healing up with a sap. When their DCDs are gone and all their insane burst is used up, they're quite squishy. Go in for the kill.

Agent

Sniper: Easy fight. You can cleanse any CC thrown at you, you can roll all their big hitters reliably, you can dictate how the fight goes. Sometimes, it takes a while to burn through their DCDs, but really this is the most straight-forward fight of them all. You can figure this one out for yourself. Just... save your evasion for if you suddenly get rooted with no root breaker and the sniper uses an autocrit ability. Remember that you can cleanse both the Sniper and Merc's slows and roots!

Operative: By far the hardest fight. This is something that I can't really explain, and something that you can only learn through lots of practice. Generally, try to prevent Volatile Substance from going off as much as possible, either through rolls, or Evasion, and use your CC intelligently. You want to make the best use of that resolve bar. If the operative is lethality, this should be easy; just purge their dots when you see 2 TA and the fatality proc up. Make them waste all that terrible 6-GCD setup time they just did.

Hope these helped!
Arteum | Celden

-hans-gruber-
06.09.2016 , 08:14 AM | #7
Wow!, top man. Thanks alot.

QuiveringPotato
06.09.2016 , 10:44 AM | #8
Wow!, top man. Thanks alot.
No problem!
Arteum | Celden

sumquy
07.07.2016 , 10:24 AM | #9
Hi, i've recently started getting into concealment with the goal of getting a somewhat decent ranked rating in the future. any tips and tricks or advice for specific 1v1 against certain classes would be greatly appreciated.

ATM i'm running with about 40% crit and 70% surge with no accuracy or alacrity. Rest stacked in power. Is this correct?

My opener is as follows (from stealth) BS-Volatile-VS-Debilitate-Laceratex2... So on. I find myself rooted/stunned/pushed back before i can get my hard stun off against any good player is there a better alternative or something i can do to prevent this?

Any advice would be great, thanks.
you don't say what level you are; have you gotten roll at 52 yet? i joined the stealth team for the dvl event and have been leveling up with mostly pvp. i have to say it is an absolute blast to play. one thing i noticed is that when going to the middle bracket, the lack of a way to close a gap really started hurting. enemies would kite me or knock me away and there wasn't anything i could do about it. roll really fixed that good.

i am not to 65 yet, and so things may change, but my current experience against other classes is not exactly the way quivering potato described. am i doing it wrong or them? specifically, bounty hunters are reversed for me. pt are such easy meat i've started going for them first, if not tank spec (maybe they are still missing important abliities?) while mercs are damn near impossible for me to finish off (if he hits me with electronet i am done, period.) warriors, neither mara or jugg, give me any problems yet. in a true 1v1 (off node or some such) i never lose and usually have 70% of my health still. is that going to change? also, 50% damage reduction for 10 secs in the EDIT: masterful tier is super op!
...how i learned to love the dot and other short stories.

QuiveringPotato
07.07.2016 , 05:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by sumquy View Post
you don't say what level you are; have you gotten roll at 52 yet? i joined the stealth team for the dvl event and have been leveling up with mostly pvp. i have to say it is an absolute blast to play. one thing i noticed is that when going to the middle bracket, the lack of a way to close a gap really started hurting. enemies would kite me or knock me away and there wasn't anything i could do about it. roll really fixed that good.

i am not to 65 yet, and so things may change, but my current experience against other classes is not exactly the way quivering potato described. am i doing it wrong or them? specifically, bounty hunters are reversed for me. pt are such easy meat i've started going for them first, if not tank spec (maybe they are still missing important abliities?) while mercs are damn near impossible for me to finish off (if he hits me with electronet i am done, period.) warriors, neither mara or jugg, give me any problems yet. in a true 1v1 (off node or some such) i never lose and usually have 70% of my health still. is that going to change? also, 50% damage reduction for 10 secs in the heroic tier is super op!
That will change when you get to 65's. At your level, not everyone has all their tools, and both powertech DPS specs are late-bloomers for the most part. Although, the encounters I described were assuming equal skill and level 65. Most times.. people who play classes like PT or sorc are downright terrible, so keep that in mind.
Arteum | Celden