New sub companion coming out. Are they worth it?

dxlolman

Paxton Rall is the new companion coming out for premium players in couple weeks. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20181114

Right now I’m using referral subscription and wanted to know what everybody else thought about him and the other limited time companions (Nico Okarr, Shea Vizla, Master Ranos, Darth Helix, Z0-0M & HK-55).

For all those who missed the limited time companions do you wish you could get them now?

And to people that have 1/All of these limited time companions what are your thoughts on your limited time companions?

And to all do you think the new one is worth it?

Edited by dxlolman

I'll check him out, for sure. IMHO it's always worth it to get another companion. You might never use them but they also might become a favorite.

I have Darth Hexid, Shae and Nico. I will admit I don't use Nico much, but I love his recruitment mission and look forward to playing it on every character. He's currently the bartender in a lot of my strongholds' game rooms.

Hexid is a lot of fun and is the main companion for one of my toons. There was one class where I couldn't stand the starting companion anymore, so I had Hexid running around with my PC for several planets. She's also a good crafter. She has funny battle commentary and interesting things to say about the missing Force-sensitive companions.

Shae I like a lot too; I don't use her as much as Hexid, but she's a good companion to have.

For the ones I don't have, I wish they'd put HK-55 on the Odessen terminal simply because he *was* a regular story companion that got taken away (yes, everyone knows the workaround). I find it weird that the terminal will give me Elara Dorne (who was never in my PC's stories) or Senya (who gets deliberately killed by my toons) but not HK-55, who was their companion for many chapters.

For Ranos, she required a lot of work, and if she were ever offered again, I think they should require the same amount of work for her. I don't ever anticipate wanting to do all that, so I'm indifferent.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Shae Vizla is pretty much the only companion I use unless I'm doing story. Some times Z0-0M for heals. Most of my alts have a 50 Sha'Viz. The new guy will have some serious boots to fill so I not optimistic he'll take Shae's place.

You nerf her BW I'm outta here! :D

Shae Vizla is pretty much the only companion I use unless I'm doing story. Some times Z0-0M for heals. Most of my alts have a 50 Sha'Viz. The new guy will have some serious boots to fill so I not optimistic he'll take Shae's place.

You nerf her BW I'm outta here! :D

^^ Same here. :)

I wonder if his armor is equipable? :D Probably not, but you never know.

Now... for all those players who insist the studio never does anything for subscribers... here's gum on your shoe! :p

One of the better ways to promote holiday subscriptions... which is what this is... but subscribers clearly are getting some love here (limited time, special circumstance companions being one of the most desired of things) during the holidays. And yes.. they are trolling the persistent non-subs (Op admits to this thread being made under a 7 day referral) with this.. and I am fine with that. :D

Inb4 the offer expires and people start crying about having missed if for XYZ reason, and demanding a second chance, and a third chance, and a forth chance, rinse and repeat. :0

Edited by Andryah

Well your question does seem to be a silly one. All you would have to do is see all the threads asking for past sub comps to be released again. Now are they worth it? Depends on what someone would consider "worth". To be safe you might as well sub for a month and get the comp.

Exactly right. Based off of all the "Its not fair I missed so and so" threads we see I am going to say it is worth it to a lot of people. But what value something has is subjective.

Exactly right. Based off of all the "Its not fair I missed so and so" threads we see I am going to say it is worth it to a lot of people. But what value something has is subjective.

Maybe they should make an exception for the OP and just send him/her yet another droid pet, or some random dye, or some ugly retread mount instead. :p Why? Well.. the OP seems so conflicted about this coming subscriber perk.. that he copped a 7 day referral in order to post and ask everyone else what they should think about this. :p

Edited by Andryah

I'll check him out, for sure. IMHO it's always worth it to get another companion. You might never use them but they also might become a favorite.

I have Darth Hexid, Shae and Nico. I will admit I don't use Nico much, but I love his recruitment mission and look forward to playing it on every character. He's currently the bartender in a lot of my strongholds' game rooms.

Hexid is a lot of fun and is the main companion for one of my toons. There was one class where I couldn't stand the starting companion anymore, so I had Hexid running around with my PC for several planets. She's also a good crafter. She has funny battle commentary and interesting things to say about the missing Force-sensitive companions.

Shae I like a lot too; I don't use her as much as Hexid, but she's a good companion to have.

For the ones I don't have, I wish they'd put HK-55 on the Odessen terminal simply because he *was* a regular story companion that got taken away (yes, everyone knows the workaround). I find it weird that the terminal will give me Elara Dorne (who was never in my PC's stories) or Senya (who gets deliberately killed by my toons) but not HK-55, who was their companion for many chapters.

For Ranos, she required a lot of work, and if she were ever offered again, I think they should require the same amount of work for her. I don't ever anticipate wanting to do all that, so I'm indifferent.

You must spend a fortune on missing inventory ;)

Given the amount of complaints from the people who *didn't* get the previous sub reward companions then I'd think yes. To be honest given the amount of complaints regarding this issue I'm surprised they're still offering companions as sub rewards.

^^ I was just thinking the same thing...

All those complainers that did not get or missed for one reason or another a companion or Droid that think that they should be entitled to just because they missed out or did not want it when it was available.

Suggestion ....

Subscribe for one month....

Get your reward....

Be Happy!!

Then you can go back to complaining about everything with your new companion by your side... :rolleyes:

The only thing that interests me about him is his skin tone. Bioware should know that playing companion pokemon isn't a thing that interests me, it's not the kind of reward that would entice me to sub if I weren't already. I already have my favorites - ones who are connected personally to my characters and their stories, and adding more to the list just makes finding my favorite harder. Edited by grania

You have asked a subjective question. You will get as many varieties of answer as there are answers.

This right here.

For me, I've gotten enough companions to fill up my crafting roster on the characters I'm not taking through KOTFEET, so unless new ones come with a significant amount of story to justify getting to know them, I could care less. Personally, I'd rather see them add some short but sweet cutscenes for some of our existing companions. Shoot, I'd pay extra on top of my subscription for that.

This right here.

For me, I've gotten enough companions to fill up my crafting roster on the characters I'm not taking through KOTFEET, so unless new ones come with a significant amount of story to justify getting to know them, I could care less. Personally, I'd rather see them add some short but sweet cutscenes for some of our existing companions. Shoot, I'd pay extra on top of my subscription for that.

Excuse me if i want this new companion, since the ones coming back in 5.10 mean absolutely nothing to me .

Edited by bluehufsa

Paxton Rall is the new companion coming out for premium players in couple weeks. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20181114

Right now I’m using referral subscription and wanted to know what everybody else thought about him and the other limited time companions (Nico Okarr, Shea Vizla, Master Ranos, Darth Helix, Z0-0M & HK-55).

For all those who missed the limited time companions do you wish you could get them now?

And to people that have 1/All of these limited time companions what are your thoughts on your limited time companions?

And to all do you think the new one is worth it?

No companion is worth anything if they're not connected to the story.

Excuse me if i want this new companion, since the ones coming back in 5.10 mean absolutely nothing to me .

Why exactly are you getting offended? He was asking for opinions, and I gave mine, that is all. You are of course welcome to have an opinion that differs from mine, and anyone else's for that matter. But there is no reason to get upset about it, is there?

Edited by Paziqi

That is also subjective.

I tend to agree with SithKoriandr's statement; but then I also agree with yours. We all are going to value different things, especially, it seems, here in this game. Seems we have a very diverse group of players around here.

No companion is worth anything if they're not connected to the story.

If I can customize his armor and he has a nice voice, he'll be worth a fair bit to me. I'm still salty about Nico and Arcann being neglected in the clothing department. :mad: Story is great and all, but I run around doing a lot of grindy, solo content. so I like having companions who are easy on the eyes and ears ;)

If I can customize his armor and he has a nice voice, he'll be worth a fair bit to me. I'm still salty about Nico and Arcann being neglected in the clothing department. :mad: Story is great and all, but I run around doing a lot of grindy, solo content. so I like having companions who are easy on the eyes and ears ;)

Well, as was replied to me, I was being subjective, which is true.

I would just rather my companions be an active part of the story. So really, the idea that they're going to neglect the ones I have, is terrible, especially since any of them could be used as hooks to get us into new stories.

This particular companion just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A Jedi (Master Ranos), Sith (Darth Hexid), or infiltrator killbot (Z0-0M) all make sense as worthy allies to personally accompany the commander of an alliance to save/conquer the galaxy. But a drunken pirate who hangs out in cantinas seems little different than the drunken smuggler (Nico) who hangs out in cantinas. Edited by HeatRacer

I have pretty much all of them.

The various "promo" companions have one advantage over the ones you get via your class story and later content (KotFE, and so on): When you start a new character, you can retrieve the "companion item" from your in-game email, and have that companion helping you right at level 1. Not that you really need a companion at the beginning of your starter planet, but it's just that much easier, and no waiting. Once you've gotten through enough of your stroy to get your first "real" companion, you can mothball the "promo" one, or relegate them to crew skill duty, or whatever.

Since 4.0, there's very little to distinguish companions, from a functional standpoint. They all can do all the combat roles (Damage, Tank, or Heals), and at the same Influence level, they are about equally effective. The "theory-crafters" have done the math to rank all of them from best to worst in each role, but IMO, the differences aren't really significant. Not enough for me to change which companion I use with what character, anyway. For crafting, there's zero difference in their effectiveness, at the same Influence rank.

My "main" has literally dozens of companions - nearly 50, and I only have *some* of the CM ones. I already get over 60 emails of promo items when I start a new character (companions, pets, mounts, etc.) So I don't really need another one. But I'll still be subscribed on the 14th (and after), so I'll add Paxton to my stable. I might use him, might not. I won't be spending much time (like any) thinking about it either way for a few weeks, yet.

Edited by Adric_the_Red