So, how would YOU handle Carrie Fisher's/Princess Leia's death in future movies?

Lunafox

I've recently come across some troubling articles that suggest there is a faction of people who want to see Meryl Streep or some other famous actress replace Princess Leia in the wake of Carrie Fisher's death back in 2016.

I think the idea is heinous, I can't see anyone replacing Carrie Fisher in her most iconic role. I've got nothing against Streep, but she's not our beloved princess. Carrie Fisher started that role and should be allowed to finish it.

For me, I would be satisfied if they explained her death in the scrolling yellow text and moved on, or if they needed a scene to show her death, then use CGI to accomplish that.

I'd rather this than recasting the role. Thoughts? What would be the most satisfying resolution for you?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IFor me, I would be satisfied if they explained her death in the scrolling yellow text and moved on, or if they needed a scene to show her death, then use CGI to accomplish that.

I think her death needs to be significant. I don't think saying "she died" will do it for most fans, nor would recasting. So I think they'll have to do some kind of CGI to give her a proper death that is pivotal in some way.

In "Carrie Fishers" scene of Rogue One (CGI) after watching Carrie herself said "I don't remember that scene" to another watching, he then smiled and turned to say "You didn't, its all CGI" its *That good, Grand Moff Tarkin also. I think it would be a slap down on Carrie's memory to "Replace" her with another. If they want to do this, do it in a way that Honors Carrie and show her in her "Best Light".

https://imgur.com/xxBeeO3

https://imgur.com/uuAJJ0o

Edited by MikeCobalt

I think her death needs to be significant. I don't think saying "she died" will do it for most fans, nor would recasting. So I think they'll have to do some kind of CGI to give her a proper death that is pivotal in some way.

Exactly. I do hope that they can get permission from her daughter and her estate to use her likeness in a CGI model like they did Rogue One. She's one of the last iconic originals who should have an epic on screen ending not something like happened to Admiral Akbar.

I don't envy the task that they have ahead of them. I doubt there's any way to pull it off that satisfies everyone. However, I think a recast would be met with very poor reactions, no matter who they cast. I hope the creators of the next movie are sensitive enough to know that. I think in many ways, how they handle this one thing could make or break the third movie in this new trilogy.

I don't know how I would handle it. If they have plenty of unused footage from the other two they *might* be able to pull something off and give her the farewell she deserves. This is one element that I think they should openly address. Maybe not tell people the details of Leia's inclusion, but how they intend to address Carrie Fisher's absence.

In "Carrie Fishers" scene of Rogue One (CGI) after watching Carrie herself said "I don't remember that scene" to another watching, he then smiled and turned to say "You didn't, its all CGI" its *That good, Grand Moff Tarkin also. I think it would be a slap down on Carrie's memory to "Replace" her with another. If they want to do this, do it in a way that Honors Carrie and show her in her "Best Light".

I was pretty impressed with the CGI in Rogue One, Tarkin especially. I think CGI is the best way to go, to do it right, I'm just saying I'd rather yellow text explanation than a replacement.

That would be ideal, I think. It's a shame that the attack scene in TLJ came so early, it would've been ideal to explain her death, and better than having the Mary Poppin's scene...but I guess they understandably wanted to use as many of her scenes as possible. The CGI is the best way to go in the future. I just know I can't abide a replacement.

I don't envy the task that they have ahead of them. I doubt there's any way to pull it off that satisfies everyone. However, I think a recast would be met with very poor reactions, no matter who they cast. I hope the creators of the next movie are sensitive enough to know that. I think in many ways, how they handle this one thing could make or break the third movie in this new trilogy.

I don't know how I would handle it. If they have plenty of unused footage from the other two they *might* be able to pull something off and give her the farewell she deserves. This is one element that I think they should openly address. Maybe not tell people the details of Leia's inclusion, but how they intend to address Carrie Fisher's absence.

I don't either. It's a tough spot to be in. Much like in the Fast and Furious franchise when they lost Brian. I appreciated the way they handled that. Like you say, whatever they do won't please everybody, but I hope they're very careful with what they do.

I would agree that both Carrie and the iconic character she has portrayed, Leia, deserve far better than to be replaced or to receive a send off in text. I'd rather see a mixture of CGI and any footage they may have laying around than to see "In a galaxy blah blah blah oh by the by, Princess Leia croaked" or to see anyone else portray her. The latter would vex me more than the other two but yeah, ideally, CGI.

And I love, love Meryl Streep but no. No one else is, or ever could be, Leia. Just, no.

I would agree that both Carrie and the iconic character she has portrayed, Leia, deserve far better than to be replaced or to receive a send off in text. I'd rather see a mixture of CGI and any footage they may have laying around than to see "In a galaxy blah blah blah oh by the by, Princess Leia croaked" or to see anyone else portray her. The latter would vex me more than the other two but yeah, ideally, CGI.

And I love, love Meryl Streep but no. No one else is, or ever could be, Leia. Just, no.

Yeah, a combination of unused footage and CGI would be a good way to go. I wonder how much they will change their original plans for the character. It might be that we see Princess Leia's end in one of the opening scenes and the issue will be moot for the rest of the movie. I think there's a good chance that's what's going to happen.

would have been easier if her character had died on the attack on the Raddus. - But I guess they weren't to know that Fisher wasn't going to survive until the next movie.

If they brought back Peter Cushing long after his death, they could to the same - Maybe a scratchy holo from a far away planet would let her (Leia) pass in peace- fighting the good fight ( or retiring) after the deaths of Luke & Han.

The latest movies are quietly removing a lot of the old characters to make way for a new generation of characters, and a new generation of fans.

- TBH it's aimed at older children and teenagers. - while gently acknowledging the fans in their 40s and 50s that have been around since the first movies.

I thought it was Great this "New Generation" of "Star Wars" acknowledging and their *Homage to the 3(4?) heroes that started all this and now their moving on, its proper. Han's Unfortunate scene had him moving out in absolutely the best way possible Died trying to rescue his son, Making Leia Happy, Giving the new generation a jump start (and watching Over them as he did with Luke and Leia) plus helping the Alliance immensely.

would have been easier if her character had died on the attack on the Raddus. - But I guess they weren't to know that Fisher wasn't going to survive until the next movie.

If they brought back Peter Cushing long after his death, they could to the same - Maybe a scratchy holo from a far away planet would let her (Leia) pass in peace- fighting the good fight ( or retiring) after the deaths of Luke & Han.

The latest movies are quietly removing a lot of the old characters to make way for a new generation of characters, and a new generation of fans.

- TBH it's aimed at older children and teenagers. - while gently acknowledging the fans in their 40s and 50s that have been around since the first movies.

The idea of having her speak through a 'scratchy holo' at a distance is interesting...through CGI and voice talent adept at impersonating Carrie Fisher, could work too. And her death could manifest through the holo as well, as in suddenly getting 'cut out' when the transmission ends.

Any of the ideas I've seen so far are more appealing to me than hiring someone new to take up her role. That's the least appealing option to me.

What if there's an accident and Leia cannot survive without a mask?

Interesting question. I suppose it's possible, she could wear a Vader-ish sort of mask...but for me, I think they'd need to have a VA that can accurately impersonate her voice. The voice at that point would be very important.

I still think though, for me it would be better if they could CGI in an appropriate ending for her, where she does something extraordinary and sacrifices perhaps.

I feel like they have an impossible task. The way the story's unfolded, I would've expected Leia to play a large role in Ep 9. I'd like them to respect the internal integrity of what the story's supposed to be in its own right - but I don't see one single, clear, best way for them to do that. If they CGI'd the character, wouldn't that imply they found Carrie replaceable, even if that's very far from how they actually feel? If they have the character play a large role in the story but keep her off-screen, that's rather unnatural in its own way. Yet killing off the character before she'd have to appear again seems really disrespectful in its own way. I don't envy them at all.

I feel like they have an impossible task. The way the story's unfolded, I would've expected Leia to play a large role in Ep 9. I'd like them to respect the internal integrity of what the story's supposed to be in its own right - but I don't see one single, clear, best way for them to do that. If they CGI'd the character, wouldn't that imply they found Carrie replaceable, even if that's very far from how they actually feel? If they have the character play a large role in the story but keep her off-screen, that's rather unnatural in its own way. Yet killing off the character before she'd have to appear again seems really disrespectful in its own way. I don't envy them at all.

That they do, I don't envy them either. I just know I feel very strongly against having her role recast, that's the scenario that appeals the very least to me. I suppose much of it would depend on if her daughter/estate allow them to use Carrie's images for the upcoming movie. I have a feeling she would, but who can know for sure.

I'm not sure if my take away is the same as yours, in terms of CGI making her 'replaceable'. To me, it's more of a matter that she's irreplaceable and that was the only way they could finish out her part in things without replacing her. I'd rather see her image, in shots like they did in Rogue One, or a scratchy holo as someone else suggested than to have a stranger, no matter how talented doing it.

As you say, tough decision, and one that likely won't please everyone completely. :(

Should have killed her off instead of pulling that ridiculous superman thing.

Couple of edits and few reshoots without her. She literally was useless for the whole film apart from shooting poe.

I agree, that would've made sense even though it kind of sucked to have Admiral Ackbar die senselessly like that...I mean, it does happen, but I think Leia deserves better. That and I suspect they wanted to use the rest of her footage that she shot, rather than lose it. The Mary Poppins thing was a bit cringey to me too, but I guess they kept that so they could use the rest.

Only the CGI is acceptable. Replacing her with another is an insult to who created that Hero. The CGI has already been proven to work (It even fooled her herself for a minute and she approved) and "Hero's" (the Good Guy/Woman" never cover their face looking like Vader or any other Evil Character) They already have something that works and "Star Wars" 's guidelines were set in long ago.

I wanted them to recast and not make them so old from the beginning. Using the originals and aging them so much only made it worse, because all they've been doing is killing the originals off.

They recast Chewie, no one complained. :p

Now it's either, give her an off screen death, recast and make an awesome death or CGI and kill her. I say kill on all three, because I have no doubt they were going to kill her off in the next one.

They have a lot of outtakes and extra footage (movies always do) and I think they need to use that to have her go out in an absolute BLAZE OF GLORY in the last film. She's the last one standing out of the original triumvirate. Let her save the day and pass on the legacy to Rey, Finn, Rose and Poe, as a fitting legacy.

They can do enough editing wizardry to use the footage they have with narrative from others to show what happens.

if they need a body double for wide shots, fine, but I don't want her recast. I think Disney's said they will not do that.

FWIW I LOVE that Disney used the original actors. Yes, they looked older. They ARE older! Bravo for letting Luke, Leia and Han actually be the ages they are, and not be plastic Hollywood models.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Interesting question. I suppose it's possible, she could wear a Vader-ish sort of mask...but for me, I think they'd need to have a VA that can accurately impersonate her voice. The voice at that point would be very important.

I still think though, for me it would be better if they could CGI in an appropriate ending for her, where she does something extraordinary and sacrifices perhaps.

So no James Earl Jones for Leia, right. :D

We know she was supposed to play a major part, a mask would allow a lot of the story to remain in place as originally intended, while allowing for the potential thematic options of her father and her son having donned the same kind of thing, to force her in the same position.

But mostly because I have always cared so much about Leia, I don't want to see her diminished by death or absence. No one clapped louder than me in TLJ when she used the force to recover from that certain death. Watching her go away again after that just feels wrong. She gave the fight against evil her world, her brother, and her husband, she needs to be there at the end to see it to completion.

FWIW I LOVE that Disney used the original actors. Yes, they looked older. They ARE older! Bravo for letting Luke, Leia and Han actually be the ages they are, and not be plastic Hollywood models.

Which would have been fine, if their idea wasn't "Hey, let's kill them all off!"

Han, Luke then Leia. Dead. That's just lame.