Season 4 Reward Teaser Blog

TaitWatson

Good question/suggestion, we will discuss it. No promises.

I would start pvping with my gunslinger again simply if the conqueror or firebrand chest was available again. I think that is the best smuggler type of chest armor, but currently the only way to acquire it in game is to run old NiM ops I think, which I don't do. Giving PvP'ers some options to get older stuff somehow, regardless if the name of the item is the same as it was or different, would be really nice and get some people like myself pvping again.

The fact that you are discussing it is as a possibility is appreciated.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated in the "Ranked Seasons in 2015" post, Season 4 will have a rating floor. We will watch the season and see where ratings are and then set where the floor number, but characters with very low rating will not be receiving any rewards. The goal here is to reward players that are participating in the spirit of ranked play.

So does this mean that rating will be determined by your "Final Rating" in Season 4, not "Highest Earned" ?

If not, that is, if you're still going by "Highest Earned," then what's to stop the trolls from say, getting a 900 rating (assuming for the sake of argument that is the floor) as their "Highest Earned," then throwing every match thereafter until they get to rating 0, but still getting rewards?

You've made it clear that you're going to punish players for "Win Trading" this season, but you've made no mention of punishing players for trolling or simply being bad (queuing in top pve gear with 600 expertise and getting wrecked).

Season 4 is only a day old, but there's already been PVE geared players queuing ranked and handicapping their team, players /stucking, and suspicious DC's. If you want to encourage "the spirit of ranked play," then these issues need to be addressed in Yellow Text to send a message to trolls and would be trolls that are already ruining matches.

In the case of the extreme trolls, who intentionally throw match after match to get to rating 0, how do you even punish that? "reset their rating" ? Reset their rating from 0 to the default 1200??

The obvious fix is to tell people to just stick to the group ranked queue, but...yeah, that's not going to happen and the first 3 seasons of leaderboards show that (top players, even guilds of top players playing hundreds more solo ranked matches than group ranked matches), so some clarification here with how you plan to address the trolls in solo ranked (which is what is really left of "ranked" at this point since 8v8 was removed) would be appreciated.

Edited by SomeJagoff

Well, let's summarize my rated experience for today...

1. One victory
  2. One close match, unfortunately lost but could have won
  3. One defeat because our 50k HP DPS was no match for the two good Asassins on the enemy team

I am happy with the result, but if this keeps up, I'll be below 1000 rating after 10 matches and doubt I'll be able to win more matches than I lose afterwards, so I'll never be able to get any high rating.

Sorry Alex, but I take offense at the PvP developer saying I don't have a "spirit of ranked play". I may not be the best PvP player out there, but I know what to do in PvP and I usually heal more than the enemy healer, so I'm completely dependent on the DPS on my team. Please take a close look at where you draw the entry barrier for the lowest tier, since it is nearly impossible to differentiate between players who threw a match and players who just got unlucky in their match-ups.

Edited by Jerba

Good question/suggestion, we will discuss it. No promises.

While you are at it...maybe discuss how hard it would be to update the PvP vendors at fleet that still are selling lowbie weapons with expertise in them. It would be kinda good if those weapons actually helped lowlevels instead of gimping them in a warzone...

I'm not ready for ranked PvP right now. I may never play ranked PvP.

But the idea that I might get in there and try my best because I really want some particular weapon skin exclusive to ranked PvP rewards, only to not get it because someone decides that my lack of skill/bad luck translates into "violating the spirit of ranked play" does not seem to encourage people to give it a try.

I'm not ready for ranked PvP right now. I may never play ranked PvP.

But the idea that I might get in there and try my best because I really want some particular weapon skin exclusive to ranked PvP rewards, only to not get it because someone decides that my lack of skill/bad luck translates into "violating the spirit of ranked play" does not seem to encourage people to give it a try.

Keep in mind that it's supposed to be a competitive environment in which each player impacts their teammates ratings, not just a venue for collecting shinies.

I wouldn't show up to an HM or NiM op wearing bad gear and without a clue because I wanted a drop.

As stated in the "Ranked Seasons in 2015" post, Season 4 will have a rating floor. We will watch the season and see where ratings are and then set where the floor number, but characters with very low rating will not be receiving any rewards. The goal here is to reward players that are participating in the spirit of ranked play.

That post originally stated that Season 5 (not 4) would have the rating floor, leading readers to believe that you were going to bring the floor in after Season 4.

Presumably that was a typo that you subsequently corrected a couple of days after the original post was made. That's fine. But in future, it'd be great if you could do a staff post indicating that something of substance had been changed, so that people who'd read your original post and moved on were aware of it.

(I'm not just relying on memory here: I took a copy of the original post for our podcast's show notes; you can also see the original text referring to Season 5 having the floor in several replies later in that thread.)

You should also make the rating different on each side.. The majority of decent pvp players on TOFN are all playing on imperial side... Just now, by looking at the leaderbords for the server, you will find that top 50 are 49 imps, and 1 republic player...

Yea this why I unsubbed and moved on , the repub side of TOFN is dead pvp wise , it's been over a year and a half and it seems nobody is interested in PvP'ing. Imps are too many and most of the warzones/arenas are imps vs imps on that side.

All in all this is the most underwhelming xpack YET, the game has reached a new low content wise not even gonna mention PvP because it's nonexistent. No new BG's , no new open world PvP objectives ( starting to miss 3 fps Illum fights ).

And im sure they will add these stinky weps at above 1.8k+ arena rating (again) so ain't gonna bother.

Edited by offence

Why the devs even bothered to create an assault cannon reward when they don't even give a &HY# about Commandos/Mercs in PVP is beyond me.

So you feel like the devs aren't showing your class enough attention, and the solution is to show it even less attention.

Got it.

Maybe the reason your class hasn't gotten enough attention is because people like you are managing it?

Keep in mind that it's supposed to be a competitive environment in which each player impacts their teammates ratings, not just a venue for collecting shinies.

I wouldn't show up to an HM or NiM op wearing bad gear and without a clue because I wanted a drop.

Who said that I had no clue? Doesn't my saying that I wasn't ready indicate that I had a clue? I don't even have a character over level 52, and that 52 is all but retired. I am not ready for ranked PvP, but I clearly have an idea of what is expected, or else I wouldn;t know that I wasn't ready, right?

So spare me the insults.

=============

All I want is more information concerning what sorts of actions might be taken and against whom they would be taken.

"Win trader" is a nice little phrase, but what does it really mean?

How do they decide if someone is a win trader or if they are just close to being a 50/50 player?

How can they know that the characters that came in and went 0-fer weren't on a second account of some other players and wins were traded that way?

Would that even matter?

Also, I would like to just find the "rules" for ranked PvP. Info on the scoring system and such. If anyone has a link, I would appreciate it.

I can find the leaderboards easily enough, but all I see are numbers with no context in which to place them.

Also, I would like to just find the "rules" for ranked PvP. Info on the scoring system and such. If anyone has a link, I would appreciate it.

I can find the leaderboards easily enough, but all I see are numbers with no context in which to place them.

The rules are actually pretty simple. It is best two-out-of-three rounds with each round consisting of two teams of 4 fighting until one team is dead. After 5 minutes, sudden death begins with acid moving in from the sides towards the middle, and the acid inflicts a DoT that takes a percentage of health away. If you are the last player hit by the acid DoT, or if you do more damage in addition to the acid and you die last, you win.

That sums up the rules. Pretty much the easiest gametype.

The goal here is to reward players that are participating in the spirit of ranked play.

Really? Because I spent ages grinding out full DR gear, augmenting it all at great expense, just to be sure I wasn't treading on anyone's toes when I decided to start playing ranked for the first time. So far, I've lost most of my games because of PvEers joining for conquest and players who just aren't up to snuff ruining games.

Because of them, my rating is plummeting, so my rating isn't actually my rating and I'm going to be penalised because of a broken system that judges how lucky I am with pugs and not how competent I am as a player. Is this the 'spirit of ranked play'?

Edited by Mevan

The best part is when people point to the massive number of people just within the highest tier as some sort of 'proof' of win trading. Anyone with [brain] equipped in the head slot knows there's win trading, but using the rating numbers as a reason is flat-out hilarious. Almost everyone, from hardcore PvPers to dedicated PvEers to casual players, will only get a character up to the rating required for a tier, then move on to the next character (or in many cases of casuals and PvPers, just stop after one character). It's not some grand conspiracy, it's common sense. If you don't understand that, then don't reply to this comment or else it will be pretty obvious what your head slot is lacking. I hear you can buy [brain] on the Cartel Market for a 30% discount right now though -- only 2100 CC!

I disagree, PVP should have unique designs / rewards that make it worth while to do PVP and separate it from PVE rewards and vice versa, if a really cool looking design is only on PVE reward like drop or market pack, it should stay that way.

This way if you really want the item, you'll do PVP to get it or PVE depending on what item you want. This creates a desire to do one or the other to get the item.

Totally agree with your sentiment, but the sabre looks bloody awful. Granted that is entirely subjective, but mine will never be used same as my damn awful neon rancor.

It is star wars, the universe is their oyster as to how they can design things, and yet they persist in churning out crap.

The best looking, sounding and correct sized light sabers all come from very early cartel packs.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

Really? Because I spent ages grinding out full DR gear, augmenting it all at great expense, just to be sure I wasn't treading on anyone's toes when I decided to start playing ranked for the first time. So far, I've lost most of my games because of PvEers joining for conquest and players who just aren't up to snuff ruining games.

Because of them, my rating is plummeting, so my rating isn't actually my rating and I'm going to be penalised because of a broken system that judges how lucky I am with pugs and not how competent I am as a player. Is this the 'spirit of ranked play'?

You are correct, solo queue has always been a lottery, moreso shince conquest appeared on the scenes and the hoards of pve sheep appeared.

But, you are just as likely to see as many scrubs on the other team as your own, so generally speaking, it is fair, assuming you accept that solo is simple a lottery as to who gets the worst pug.