Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Hadeedak
09.18.2014 , 09:49 PM | #5221
Oh. I see. Just squeezing in her story ahead of mine. Nice. You get to do the dishes, then.

I'll, uh get around to reading the backlog of stories... Sometime?

Anyway, for this week's prompt, here's another adventure of Zeedor & Angie, though mostly Zeedor. It takes place after my last story and just before AKHadeed's story "Unbreakable" from the week before last. Got that? Our hope is to start merging the storylines better, and maybe even plan something out. No promises.

Spoiler

Author's note:
Spoiler

AKHadeed
09.18.2014 , 09:59 PM | #5222
Comments!

Spoiler

...You got top of the page out of the deal. You do the dishes.

Striges
09.19.2014 , 06:24 AM | #5223
A warm welcome to the thread, DogeDandolo! So glad you’ve joined us. Have fun, and happy writing.

New Friday, new prompt.

Week of September 19, 2014
Fish Out of Water: No one fits in everywhere. Even a well-travelled character, or one accustomed to shifting identities, can feel out of place. So how about yours? When has your character been in a truly alien, uncomfortable situation? Why were they so far out of their comfort zone? Did they wander into the wrong neighborhood? Did they miss important social cues or misinterpret what they saw? Write about a time when your character was the fish out of water.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLP:
The Morning After - What seems like a good idea at night may turn out to be terrible in the morning. Or the other way around. Write about the morning after some event great or small that your character has experienced.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

DomiSotto
09.19.2014 , 02:45 PM | #5224
Comments:

Spoiler

alaurin
09.20.2014 , 01:39 PM | #5225
I'll update the Index in the morning.

Okay, I would like to greatly apologize for my gross lack of comments. I've just gotten really behind with reading since I've had a lot going on with my kids' school (crazy me agreed to be a Room Parent for my son's 3rd grade class ), so I'm going to take a rare bow out of commentary. This really bothers me a lot, but it can't be helped. I will catch up on reading and strive to make comments from now on. One exception:

@DogeDandilo: Welcome to the thread!!!! I enjoyed the banter in the second piece with your BH. I skipped the 1st one for spoiler reasons (haven't done Oricon yet).

Storywise, I'm having some writer's block with the next part of my guys' saga. I have the parts after it finished, it's just this one piece that's giving me fits and I'm not sure I like it.......*sigh* Anyways, this week's prompt did inspire a story, but it's for a character I haven't posted here before. A couple of weeks ago, I got distracted by a story idea popping into my head out of the blue and the muse demanded I write it! The odd part for me was that it was coming to me in the 1st person POV, something I've never ever even tried before. However, I wrote it (in 2 pieces) and even posted it on my Tumblr despite my nerves at something so new to me (1st person was a challenge). I finally decided to share it here as well.......so here goes. Please go easy on me, 1st person is way out of my comfort zone and I took some liberties with a couple of big IA npc's. Again, I apologize for pushing off another character onto you all......

Title: A Matter of Trust
Character: Syral’una’nudo, core name Lunan
Prompt: Family, Worst Day Ever, some Loyalty and Betrayal
Setting: Dromund Kaas
Spoilers: IA Act 2

Spoiler

Author’s Note:
Spoiler

Kitar
09.20.2014 , 09:11 PM | #5226
Evening everyone. I have managed to write something postable and I have Replies!
These are so late in coming, part of me hesitates to even post them. But, since I had them mostly written out before I was sidetracked by shiny pretty things, I have decided to put them up.

And since i have getting a headache trying to format around spoiler tags there are mild SW spoilers in a couple of my replies under the second spoiler tag.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Also I know I’m a bit late in saying this, hopefully you are still around to read it. I'm going to miss ya Yoshi. Your stories were always a pleasure to read.

And Welcome Back Elliotcat and Irrissa

And Welome to the Thread DogeDandolo

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone. If I have 1k apologizes.

I also have an offering as well, one I can post now that I have gotten Alaurin's blessing. It is roughly 3.8k ish words.

Prompt: Betrayal and Mix it up
Featuring: Ka'van and Jax
Spoilers: The Esseles
Timeline: I'm leaving that up to Alaurin since I'm completely playing in her sandbox with this one.

Spoiler

AN
Spoiler

alaurin
09.22.2014 , 09:11 AM | #5227
*Something I forgot in my last post:

@Yoshi: I don't know if you're still lurking around, but I will greatly miss your presence on these forums and I've enjoyed your stories so very much! Best of luck to you as you start school!

*Alrighty, the Index is up to date!

*Here's me trying to not get behind on comments again:

@Kitar: Loved it, but you already knew that! A Jedi and a Smuggler forming a friendship......who would've guessed that one. Ka'van and Jax make a fun pair to write for for me and hopefully you as well. As for timeline, I think it's safe to say this occurred early on, sometime before my storyWhat the Hell Were We Thinking?! and well before your piece Gifts/Mix It Up.

*Also caught this as I've been slowly working my way backwards through all the wonderful stories I got behind on reading:
Quote: Originally Posted by AKHadeed View Post
...You got top of the page out of the deal. You do the dishes.
I wholeheartedly support this statement. Getting the top of the page > being the first to post their story, so Hadeedak should be elbow deep in dish duty!

Okay, sorry about the cliffhanger with Lunan and here's the next part:

Title: A Fierce Little Mouse
Prompt: Snatched From the Jaws of Defeat/Serendipity
Character: Syral’una’nudo, core name Lunan
Setting: Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, immediately following A Matter of Trust.
Spoilers: mentions early NPC's from the IA storyline, beginning of the BH storyline

Spoiler

Author’s Note:
Spoiler

DomiSotto
09.22.2014 , 04:22 PM | #5228
@Kitar

Spoiler

@alaurin

Spoiler

//////////

The story: I started this for the last quiz, hoping to do Morning/Noon and Night on 3 different characters, but my Noon did not pan out. But it works as this Quiz submission well enough. And, sorry for being wordy! I was binge-writing. It's ~ 1,500 words. I will chase brevity harder next time, promise!

Title: Bring 'em in.
Prompt: Fish out of Water
Character: Lt. Glean Dur/Lord Becchino
Spoilers: None, really, but it alludes to Bounty Hunting Week
Length: ~ 1,500 words

Spoiler

Jokad
09.23.2014 , 10:30 AM | #5229
Comments and Replies:
Spoiler

School has started again and I’ve been busy, but I’ll post something I wrote a while ago.

Prompt: The Morning After
Character: Zeirko (SW)
Timeframe: after the SW quest between Voss and Corellia, Index after A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Spoilers: SW Act 3
Spoiler
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

frauzet
09.23.2014 , 12:45 PM | #5230
Comments and replies
Spoiler
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order