Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ heads to GamesCom 2012

CourtneyWoods

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ team is excited to be traveling again this year to Cologne to take part in one of the largest gaming conventions in the world. More than 275,000 people are expected to visit the GamesCom show sometime during its run from August 16-19, and we hope to see some of you there.

Read More

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GamesCom is every year. Celebration is once every 2-3 years. And you choose to go to GamesCom? Odd choice.

:rolleyes:

Celebration is also of little interest to gamers, but a thing for star wars fans. Personally, as a not-so-much star wars fanatic, I never even heard of it. Whereas GamesCom is one of the major gaming events and will offer SWTOR great publicity to gamers worldwide.

It's not hard to understand why they'd pick GamesCom.

Who cares where they go? It's up to them. Quit whining.

The community team previously implied that Celebration would be the event to go to, but now not only is it not the signature event, it isn't an event at all.

These things require planning and money - taking vacation for work, plane/hotel/event tickets, etc. To hear that an event is cancelled 2 weeks before is pretty frustrating.

Source:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4508891#post4508891

I don't see why people are upset about this, Celebration is there to celebrate the movies, see actors, look at props, and other things that are related to the movies and the like. Whereas GamesCon...is for GAMES, which last I checked...this is a game nothing really movie related.

I don't care where they do panels and make announcements as long as they give us some information on when we are getting some updates and all that jazz. So no way i'm crying over star wars celebration or whatever that event I have never heard of anyway is called.

Celebration is also of little interest to gamers, but a thing for star wars fans. Personally, as a not-so-much star wars fanatic, I never even heard of it. Whereas GamesCom is one of the major gaming events and will offer SWTOR great publicity to gamers worldwide.

It's not hard to understand why they'd pick GamesCom.

But considering how they expected this game would draw more of it's players from Star Wars fandom and not the general gaming community, it is probably not the choice they would have made 7 months ago.

:cool:

EA Press Conference: Fans and Press should expect to hear some exciting new details about the future of The Old Republic during the presentation on Tuesday, August 14.

Hopefully it isn't more vague false promises of content to come that we never get to see. Weren't we promised Nightmare EC by the end of july? Where is the new content? Why haven't you fixed denova after breaking it last patch?

Does this mean they won't be giving up the event we were also promised? Communication would be nice instead of some lame lip service post telling us announcements coming soon...content coming soon...warzone coming soon...I'm starting to think soon translates to **** and pay us to play this mediocre game.

But considering how they expected this game would draw more of it's players from Star Wars fandom and not the general gaming community, it is probably not the choice they would have made 7 months ago.

:cool:

Yeh well, till they realized that star wars fans, is not going to work, lol :p.

Yes but how many people going would really be gamers? Compared to a Con which is dedicated to games?

I think a healthy number will be gamers. Besides, non-gamers is probably the best market for SW:TOR right now. Gamers have played SW:TOR, and most of them decided it wasn't really for them. Star Wars fans will probably like it better.

I said this once and I will say it again.

There is no valid reason this company could ever give this community for skipping Celebration VI. just to remind our so called devs and community managers over there.. There has only been 6 of these. there have only been 6 official star wars conventions since 1977. That is 6 in 35 year. You must have absolutely no idea about Star Wars community if your choosing to skip this. We are not like Trekkies we do not get multiple conventions across the world every year. If you have anything to do with Star Wars and you are not at this then you might as well just end the game now.

WORST MARKETING IDEA IN HISTORY!!!!!

This is the gathering where you would hope to get the interest of the star wars fans and bring them back into the fold. the whole game is on the verge of collapsing and your going to choose to skip this. there was a 4 year gap between celebration V. While these look like they may still continue to happen No one has an idea when or if we will even get another one. So the idea that one of the biggest games in franchise history is CHOOSING to take a pass on this event is flabbergasting.

I'm probably not going to ether event so it' not that much of a concern to me, BUT passing on Cel. V is not cool. Ether way, a new battle ground is great news, BUT, where the hell is WORLD PVP gone? Do you remember Illum? GW2 is about to come out and it is going to kick your butts, specially if their World PVP is better than SWTOR's, O wait, it is because we got no world PVP. The F2P stuff I know is priority but man this has to happen and soon.

Hey everyone!

Our Community Manager, Joveth Gonzalez, just gave an update on why we will not be going to Celebration VI this year. Please remember that this thread is specifically about GamesCom.

Thanks!

That doesnt explain why you are not going to star wars celebration but still going to gamescom.

If anything I would have though you would cancel this one instead of SWC. This is Star Wars.

Yes but how many people going would really be gamers? Compared to a Con which is dedicated to games?

How many of the games do you think already tried the game? They are going to a gaming convention to try and get gamers? If they are gamers then most likely they have tried the game already or never intend to try it. Or they are the ones that dont like the subs and are coming because its going F2P

The star wars celebration will have people that are not gamers and they have a change to get them into gaming.