Legacy redo?

sirrich

I couldn't find this topic anywhere so I hope this is the right spot for this.

I wanted to know if anyone else set up their LEGACY only to relize it was for ALL YOUR TOONS and not just the one your playing. I went to make an ALT and was like HUH? Oh no my LEGACY for my trooper doesn't fit with my Jedi. DARN IT!!

Is there anyway to reset you LEGACY? I need a do-over! :o

Afaik only if your legacy name breaks the naming rules. Otherwise you seem stuck with it.

Submitting a ticket in game results in them asking you to call their international helpline, which costs money and then tells you they can't change it ...

Edited by _Darkstar

BioWare really needs to rework the bloody legacy naming system and offer renaming for everyone. The same UNIQUE last name for ALL characters on BOTH FACTIONS is plain stupid any way you look at it.

They need to revamp it so we can have the legacy title but different non-unique last names. With over a million players on what, 3 dozen servers you're still looking at roughly 28,000 people per server. Find me 28,000 people IRL, anywhere, that do not have the same last name.

Some people have names based on first-name AND last-name combinations, some do not, but they way they did this system is one of the very few things that actually irritates me about this game

I'm in the same boat. They have the ability to change it, but won't. Even if the last name isn't taken already. They'll only change it if the name is offensive.

I'm sure it's somewhere on the dev team's "Things to Do" list, but it's probably somewhere near the bottom at the present time.

At least I hope so.

BioWare really needs to rework the bloody legacy naming system and offer renaming for everyone. The same UNIQUE last name for ALL characters on BOTH FACTIONS is plain stupid any way you look at it.

They need to revamp it so we can have the legacy title but different non-unique last names. With over a million players on what, 3 dozen servers you're still looking at roughly 28,000 people per server. Find me 28,000 people IRL, anywhere, that do not have the same last name.

Some people have names based on first-name AND last-name combinations, some do not, but they way they did this system is one of the very few things that actually irritates me about this game

Not sure what this rant is about. Because in IRL there's not anywhere where 28000 people that don't have the same last name it's a bad system? Find me somewhere where there's that many people IRL where some don't have the same first name and you might have a point.

If you don't like the fact that it's a last name then use it as a title. Or don't use it at all. The system doesn't begin and end at a last name, it just begins there.

I'm in the same boat. They have the ability to change it, but won't. Even if the last name isn't taken already. They'll only change it if the name is offensive.

I'm sure it's somewhere on the dev team's "Things to Do" list, but it's probably somewhere near the bottom at the present time.

At least I hope so.

They have the ability to change first names too but won't, that's just the way that games work. Normally stuff like this is a paid service. The information was out there so bad choices are all on the player. If you weren't sure what it was you should have clicked on the ? when the prompt came up.

An option to not display it at all would be nice. Is that possible now?

Yes, it's under Social preferences.

Edited by Dasffion

Not sure what this rant is about. Because in IRL there's not anywhere where 28000 people that don't have the same last name it's a bad system? Find me somewhere where there's that many people IRL where some don't have the same first name and you might have a point.

If you don't like the fact that it's a last name then use it as a title. Or don't use it at all. The system doesn't begin and end at a last name, it just begins there

The problem is that not only do you have Legacy names spanning factions (which are AT WAR and would not admit to being related to one another, much less want to share in the other factions 'conquests' and reputation) but people run out of decent last names (yes, that does happen) and start using drivel. It already happens with first names

And I use the last name for one toon and either title-only or nothing on the rest already. The fact we can turn legacy names off does not mean the way they implemented the system is good, it just means we can hide it

Sorry bro, but it's like herpes. Once you get your legacy, you got it for good; no revamps. Should'a been more careful.

I am actually irritated by the fact that you can't have a separate surname for all your characters during character creation, or at least give up a vendor on the fleet to purchase one for cheap. (i.e, see LOTRO. A family system like they have would be pretty nice, too!)

The problem is that not only do you have Legacy names spanning factions (which are AT WAR and would not admit to being related to one another, much less want to share in the other factions 'conquests' and reputation) but people run out of decent last names (yes, that does happen) and start using drivel. It already happens with first names

And I use the last name for one toon and either title-only or nothing on the rest already. The fact we can turn legacy names off does not mean the way they implemented the system is good, it just means we can hide it

Running out of "decent last names" would happen a whole lot quicker if they were unique to characters. The cross faction thing isn't as big of a problem as people make it out to be. There are ways around it like turning it off, or you could role play it out like one side of the family went to the empire and one went to the republic. Or you could do what I do and have a Republic server and an Empire server.

So since the way they implemented it isn't good, how should they have implemented it that would have solved all these problems?

Running out of "decent last names" would happen a whole lot quicker if they were unique to characters

Did you miss the part where I said 'non-unique last names', or did you choose to ignore it?

Also, did you miss the part in the post YOU QUOTED stating: 'They need to revamp it so we can have the legacy title but different non-unique last names', or did you choose to ignore that too?

Edited by Mazikeen

Did you miss the part where I said 'non-unique last names', or did you choose to ignore it?

I guess I missed it but why would you want non-unique last names? It'd probably be a mess for the programmers too.

EDIT: Ah now I remember it, the silly argument. If we can have non-unique last names then why not first names as well? Did you choose to ignore that part of my reply?

Edited by Dasffion

I guess I missed it but why would you want non-unique last names? It'd probably be a mess for the programmers too.

No, I have some programming background and never suggest things that would require a lot of work unless I state it would require a lot of work

Three fields. FirstName, LastName, LegacyTitle and AccountID

FirstName is checked for uniqueness (since this is the standard in MMOs and to ask for that to change is a waste of time), lastName is not checked for uniqueness at all and LegacyTitle is both checked for uniqueness and applied to AccountID

Problem solved. Database with 4 fields. You learn basic database programming the first year in college

EDIT: Ah now I remember it, the silly argument. If we can have non-unique last names then why not first names as well? Did you choose to ignore that part of my reply?

See above. I ignored it for the reason stated above. It's considered a standard and I do not ask for standards to be changed often, if at all

Edited by Mazikeen

No, I have some programming background and never suggest things that would require a lot of work unless I state it would require a lot of work

Three fields. FirstName, LastName, LegacyTitle and AccountID

FirstName is checked for uniqueness (since this is the standard in MMOs and to ask for that to change is a waste of time), lastName is not checked for uniqueness at all and LegacyTitle is both checked for uniqueness and applied to AccountID

Problem solved. Database with 4 fields. You learn basic database programming the first year in college

Having some programming background means nothing unless you know the program that you're working with.

Programming aside I'd be upset if someone came up to me with the same last name. Something I wanted to be unique for my characters.

Just because you're not happy with the way it is does not mean that it was done poorly.

Yea I wish I would've known more about the legacy system myself. I wasn't in any beta, save the stress test one, and didn't really follow the game at all, so I didn't even know such a system existed until I finished the first chapter of my class's story. I choose a silly name not thinking about it and now I'm stuck with it for not only my main's toon, but any toon I roll on that server. Seriuosly, I didnt know there were surnames in this game! Totally threw me off.

Unfortunately you're stuck with whatever name you choose and customer service can't/won't do anything about it. But lesson learned, I guess. At least you have the option to turn it off. It wouldn't hurt Bioware to submit a one-time ticket to change it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately you're stuck with whatever name you choose and customer service can't/won't do anything about it. But lesson learned, I guess. At least you have the option to turn it off. It wouldn't hurt Bioware to submit a one-time ticket to change it, but I'm not holding my breath.

It might happen at some point but right now they're dealing with low FPS in WZs and people who can't get the game to load. More pressing matters.

It might happen at some point but right now they're dealing with low FPS in WZs and people who can't get the game to load. More pressing matters.

Absolutely. No rush here. Picking a bad name doens't effect my gameplay at all, so it's not THAT big of a deal for me. If it comes, great. If not, it's cool.