Should I avoid using [Flirt] option as a Jedi Knight for RP purpose??

Highsis

************No spoilers please! I've just started playing!***********

It is my knowledge that Jedi are strictly forbidden from any romantic relationships.

Does that include a brief entertainment like going into bars and flirting with dancers?

How far does the Jedi code stretch in such case? I don't think we are forbidden to have fun; would using [Flirt] option be viable as a jedi knight for RP purpose?

If you're seriously going to play as a follow the code Jedi, I'd avoid most if not all flirt choices. Jedi are kind to all and they know how to joke, but they do not make advances or try to seduce under any normal circumstance.

But its up to you how you RP your character.

Imo the Jedi Consular would be more up your alley for that kind of play, you rarely get flirt chances and for the most part the voice is just very neutral and unassuming.

Imo the Jedi Consular would be more up your alley for that kind of play, you rarely get flirt chances and for the most part the voice is just very neutral and unassuming.

Neutral is not the word I would use to describe it. Sterile almost seems an understatement even. I say this in regards to the male Consular as the female Consular seems to have a bit more life to her voice then say someone from the movie 1984.

Woof, I completely disagree, I find the male consular slightly more lively than the female one. She's particularly lifeless in her "romance."

They're both aggressively zen, though, no matter how you slice it.

Wow if the female consular has more life in her voice than I'd really hate to hear the male.. I mean unless I was having trouble sleeping or something >.>

Childrens bedtime story reading would of worked well for him.

The whole thing really depends on what kind of a Jedi character you want to build. There are Jedi and Jedi. Some will be stern and stoic, like Mace Windu. Others will be a bit more light-hearted and "down to earth" like Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan, maybe even Luke. There will be some who will be brazen and slightly arrogant like Ahsoka Tano. And finally, there will be Jedi like Anakin who won't abide the Jedi Code if it violates their personal ideals and values. All of those types - and everything in between - will react differently when it comes to the upholding of the Code.

Going to a bar won't be unreasonable, I believe, but from a roleplaying perspective a quiet meditation sequence is more plausible. Flirting with the dancers... not strictly forbidden, but it would be very strange and out of character for a Jedi - even for the unortodox ones. Remember, the Jedi are not very big on their social skills. They are monks, really. With spaceships and lazer swords, sure, but monks nonetheless. Flirting and partying are more up the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter's alley (and maybe the Agent too, but it will most likely be a charade designed to extract information or to secure a false identity in an undercover mission or something).

The whole thing really depends on what kind of a Jedi character you want to build. There are Jedi and Jedi. Some will be stern and stoic, like Mace Windu. Others will be a bit more light-hearted and "down to earth" like Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan, maybe even Luke. There will be some who will be brazen and slightly arrogant like Ahsoka Tano. And finally, there will be Jedi like Anakin who won't abide the Jedi Code if it violates their personal ideals and values. All of those types - and everything in between - will react differently when it comes to the upholding of the Code.

Going to a bar won't be unreasonable, I believe, but from a roleplaying perspective a quiet meditation sequence is more plausible. Flirting with the dancers... not strictly forbidden, but it would be very strange and out of character for a Jedi - even for the unortodox ones. Remember, the Jedi are not very big on their social skills. They are monks, really. With spaceships and lazer swords, sure, but monks nonetheless. Flirting and partying are more up the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter's alley (and maybe the Agent too, but it will most likely be a charade designed to extract information or to secure a false identity in an undercover mission or something).

To that end too you could look at (talking about the Pub side specifically here) the Shadow. They tend to demarcate from the traditional roles and rules and flirt with the edges of the DS. SO there is room to allow for one who might at the very least come across as less then dedicated to the Jedi code.

I would think the "Flirt" option can be part of your character and how much you use it depends on the way you choose to play it. I do agree that the Jedi are very monk-like, especially the Consulars; but they are all still "knights".

I chose to play my consular very "neutral" (or sterile, or whatever). I chose not to toss the Flirt option around and only saved it until the end, with Nadia, where I played that particular storyline up.

Anakin (or Vader) had children; Luke had children, as did Leia (haven't read any of the books, but I believe they did). So Jedi did marry, have children..there had to be a way to create more generations of force sensitives other than spontaneous manifestation from muggle-born kids...oh, wait.

In any case, my two-cents worth

It really depends on how YOU see your Jedi, be it Knight or Consular. My Jedi Knight's parents were Imperial. Her mother an agent and her father a joiner. (ie My agent and Vector...love Legacy). Though she tries to uphold the Jedi code (my toons are light side about 90-95% of the time) she still has some ties to her Imperial side.

Of course, not to go into spoilers, her mother had a rough time of it and her father was a joiner. Can't get more odd than that.

My Consular is the offspring of basically two bountyhunters, (my BH and Torian), so she's a bit more darker when it comes to being a Jedi, but not to the point she's killing people left and right.

If you have a Legacy yet (meaning one toon finished chapter 1 and you now have a shared surname), you can do your family tree and base your RPing of your Jedi around who his/her parents are.

But in the end, it's entirely up to YOU. That's the beauty of this game. You can go Light, Neutral, or Dark.

i roleplay my jedi as a guy trying real hard to be good, but still has a darkside that he falls to from time to time. (i'm roughly 2/3rds light, 1/3rd dark.) i actually really like it, since it makes those darkside choices you make more impactful when they're rare and far between.

mine has a weakness for the ladies and tends to kill people who anger him. but most of the time other than that he's a good guy. he WANTS to be a good upstanding jedi, but his personal weaknesses get the better of him. i just find that more interesting than a by the books jedi.

I would think the "Flirt" option can be part of your character and how much you use it depends on the way you choose to play it. I do agree that the Jedi are very monk-like, especially the Consulars; but they are all still "knights".

I chose to play my consular very "neutral" (or sterile, or whatever). I chose not to toss the Flirt option around and only saved it until the end, with Nadia, where I played that particular storyline up.

Anakin (or Vader) had children; Luke had children, as did Leia (haven't read any of the books, but I believe they did). So Jedi did marry, have children..there had to be a way to create more generations of force sensitives other than spontaneous manifestation from muggle-born kids...oh, wait.

In any case, my two-cents worth

I'm going to assume when you said "sterile" you were going off of what I had said. By sterile I was meaning a near completely emotionless voice and demeanor. Not anything to do with LS or DS, but a very monotone and drab almost tone.

there had to be a way to create more generations of force sensitives other than spontaneous manifestation from muggle-born kids...oh, wait.

*snort*

Anyway, I agree that it depends on how you want to play your character. Now if your question is: Does the flirt option open or effect more story lines (which is an interesting thought)? I don't have an answer as my JK is eventually going to be involved with her childhood friend my IA. Even if it is only in fanfiction and I haven't gotten any flirt options yet anyway.

Edited by proudofthefish

I agree with this, Jedi are akin to space Shaolin Monks, if you think it would be odd to find Shaolins on bars flirting with waitresses so it would be for the average Jedi, that said the code does not forbids stuff like that as long as you don't become attached to the waitress, so you could always play a Jedi who sort of walks the line.

As for the Consular voice, I just started playing a Sage (only lvl 20) but so far I am finding the male voice AMAZING it makes me feel like Qui-Gon, always calmed and composed, people freak out around me but I keep it cool because I trust in the force, love it!

I'm going to assume when you said "sterile" you were going off of what I had said. By sterile I was meaning a near completely emotionless voice and demeanor. Not anything to do with LS or DS, but a very monotone and drab almost tone.

I did. Only because I couldn't find a better word for it, what I was trying to say that the I play my JC in a level-headed, "there is no passion, there is serenity" , "patience, young jedi" kind of demeanor. In all dialog choices for him, I took the light-side option when available, same for crew skills diplomacy missions.

Follow "The Jedi Code"

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

(There is no chaos, there is harmony.)(*)

There is no death, there is the Force.

But if you Ignore the Top Line then have fun getting chased by republic fleets everywhere you go :)

************No spoilers please! I've just started playing!***********

How far does the Jedi code stretch in such case? I don't think we are forbidden to have fun; would using [Flirt] option be viable as a jedi knight for RP purpose?

The Jedi code, like any philosophical/ideological code can be interpreted and stretched in many ways. A fun little exercise I did when playing Jedi characters in the pen and paper RPG was to take the code, first as a whole, then line by line, and jot down how my character interpreted it.

As far as story goes in a galactic timeline sense keep in mind keep in mind that this game takes place roughly 3600 years before the events in the movies. Essentially for the past 1400 years, since the Great hyperspace War the Jedi have been in an on/off war with the Sith.

Constant strife and several near extinctions give us the players an opportunity to play a part in a Jedi Order that's trying to "figure itself out" as it were. So have fun play through your story and don't worry. I don't think any long dead Jedi ghost is going to appear on your characters ship and beat him/her about the head with the Jedi Code clue by Four.

:)

Edited by dreamingrogue
grammar

Going to a bar won't be unreasonable, I believe, but from a roleplaying perspective a quiet meditation sequence is more plausible. Flirting with the dancers... not strictly forbidden, but it would be very strange and out of character for a Jedi - even for the unortodox ones. Remember, the Jedi are not very big on their social skills. They are monks, really. With spaceships and lazer swords, sure, but monks nonetheless. Flirting and partying are more up the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter's alley.

I really couldn't agree more with this. It all comes down to what type of jedi you want to play. I can imagine monk as someone said we should think of jedis as monks, who is roisterous, drinking, and womanizing but that would be one very unorthodox jedi, probbably frowned upon by the rest of the jedi community, and master would advise their padawans to avoid him... Bottom line is that the jedi code can be interpreted in many different ways... One more thing I am intrigued about, and I did ask this question several times, but people seems to think I'm trolling is, why would every flirt lead to relationship, and why would you develop feelings for every person with who you ahve been in relationship... Jedis are not prohibited from having relationships just from developing feelengs (just think about it, you didn't really love every girl you have been with, didn't you?)