Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorc Madness viable in pvp? It seems really boring now.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Sorc Madness viable in pvp? It seems really boring now.

PhatMcMuffins
Today , 12:34 PM | #11
Ling is so much stronger in terms of both dps and survivability that you're honestly choosing to be weaker by playing madness. Ling even has better AoE pressure.Run stormwatch and watch people melt
<Occasional Crops>
<Actually Toxic>
Qarum - Alan Rails - Dazkkum - Fake Doors - Eight-six

Rotatorcuffs
Today , 12:50 PM | #12
I admittedly haven't played much pvp in 6.0 as I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I get serious. And the times when I have, it's been mostly on lightning spec. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. But I honestly don't see madness's style of play changing much from what it was in 5.0. As madness your pretty much an artillery cannon. You can deal crazy dps if you get ignored by the enemy team, or have great peel, but otherwise if you get focused, you melt like butter. Going solo, having good positioning from the get go is a must to avoid focus fire and get out of sticky situations quickly.

Like someone said mobility is somewhat more limited than on lightning. Not that you can't kite on madness, but doing so usually comes at a big cost to your dps since you are unable to use force lightning. Unlike lightning spec where you can usually cast hard hitting abilities like thundering blast and chain lightning on the move with the right utilities.

I'd say go madness if your confident your going to get good teammates that will peel for you. Healer and/or a tank guard. You can also play it well if your in the mood to play really safe and cast from a distance. But you will get punished hard on this class if you get up close and personal.

JediMasterAlex
Today , 12:57 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Rotatorcuffs View Post
I'd say go madness if your confident your going to get good teammates that will peel for you. Healer and/or a tank guard. You can also play it well if your in the mood to play really safe and cast from a distance. But you will get punished hard on this class if you get up close and personal.
See, this reasoning was sort of true for 5.x. Madness was deadlier than lightning if left to freecast, but it was squishier. Now, madness doesn't even have that advantage.

I do find the "boring" comments rather strange though. It's not like a rotation's simplicity really matters much in pvp, where there are so many other factors like kiting, chasing, cc, attacking the correct target at all times, knowing how to position yourself, using your dcds correctly, etc. The way I'm playing lightning so far is virtually identical to how I played madness, except I'm just tankier, kiting is easier, and I can actually kill people swiftly.