Kylo Ren

dreadskullxx

Basic answer: a Sith from the new movie.

Extended answer: a Sith from the new movie with ant-eater mask and suicidal lightsaber, and we'll possibly learn more about him after said new move comes to the screen.

By that, do you mean visually awesome, or are you one of those "OMG! Don't make any new sort of lightsabers, as it ruins my original!" :p

By that, do you mean visually awesome, or are you one of those "OMG! Don't make any new sort of lightsabers, as it ruins my original!" :p

If it was about "suicidal lightsaber", then I am one of "that weapon is a wonderful tool for losing your own hand or life without bothering your enemy with doing it".

I hope sincerely that they will not transform Jacen's story in such a way.

They already made it so Luke went from good fashion to crappy hooded robe of Obi Wan. :p

Also, by the looks of it, no kids for Luke who in fact looks like he went off to be forgotten.

So, they've messed with all stories.

So, they've messed with all stories.

What stories are those? The ones that don't count?

ps. I have nothing but loathing left for the new SW movie. I only recognize bioware canon. As an added bonus I hate JJ Abrams as well due to his messing with star trek.

Edited by Karkais

Kylo Ren is played by an actor who isn't Mark Hammil so I doubt he's Luke Skywalker. He also isn't a Sith, but he is a dark side force user.

Lastly a crossguard or other form of a hilt guard is a glaring absence from most of the lightsaber designs we've seen. Those things weren't just decorative, they existed to protect your hand from the enemy blade and to prevent your hand from sliding up and onto the blade. In the case of a lightsaber the plasma crossguard makes a lot of sense - the only thing to block a lightsaber is a lightsaber (or cortosis) and is certainly not any more (or less) ridiculous than having no handguard at all.

the only thing to block a lightsaber is a lightsaber (or cortosis)

Or Mandalorian iron. Or phrik. Or Sith-alchemy enhanced metal at all - the precedents are numerous, and phrik, for example, was well-known to both the Republic and the Empire.

The problem with such hilt is that it severely limits lots of manouvres and threatens your own health more than opponent's.

Kylo Ren is played by an actor who isn't Mark Hammil so I doubt he's Luke Skywalker. He also isn't a Sith, but he is a dark side force user.

Lastly a crossguard or other form of a hilt guard is a glaring absence from most of the lightsaber designs we've seen. Those things weren't just decorative, they existed to protect your hand from the enemy blade and to prevent your hand from sliding up and onto the blade. In the case of a lightsaber the plasma crossguard makes a lot of sense - the only thing to block a lightsaber is a lightsaber (or cortosis) and is certainly not any more (or less) ridiculous than having no handguard at all.

The difference is that on a real crossguard your hand rests just under it, to absord the downwards thrust of the hit. If you rest your hand on a lightsaber crossguard to absorb the downwards thrust, your hand is going to have a really bad time.

That said, apparently it's not a crossguard, but an exhaust of some sort.

Basic answer: a Sith from the new movie.

Extended answer: a Sith from the new movie with ant-eater mask and suicidal lightsaber, and we'll possibly learn more about him after said new move comes to the screen.

He's not a Sith. He's a Knight of Ren, and the Ren surname is specific to that order, like the Darth title is specific to the Sith. What exactly that means or entails we don't know yet.

He's not a Sith. He's a Knight of Ren, and the Ren surname is specific to that order, like the Darth title is specific to the Sith. What exactly that means or entails we don't know yet.

Thanks for the correction: a darksider from the new movie. Other points stand the same)

What stories are those? The ones that don't count?

ps. I have nothing but loathing left for the new SW movie. I only recognize bioware canon. As an added bonus I hate JJ Abrams as well due to his messing with star trek.

Yes, the ones that now, don't count.

To be fair, I have no doubt George Lucas would have messed with all the stories as well, had he made a trilogy that took place after RotJ.

Yes, the ones that now, don't count.

To be fair, I have no doubt George Lucas would have messed with all the stories as well, had he made a trilogy that took place after RotJ.

You mean more than he screwed up continuity with the prequels?

No, this new movie is really good. Just keep your expectations in check and let the movie sink in for a day or two before reaching a conclusion. Is it flawless? Hell no, but neither are the originals. And if you know the EU then you're in for a nice treat in this movie.

Or Mandalorian iron. Or phrik. Or Sith-alchemy enhanced metal at all - the precedents are numerous, and phrik, for example, was well-known to both the Republic and the Empire.

The problem with such hilt is that it severely limits lots of manouvres and threatens your own health more than opponent's.

Are we really arguing about how practical light-hilts are, for a physically impossible melee weapons in a world of rifles? Melee weapons that are by definition more dangerous to the people who wield them than to their foes? Same weapons that are wielded in extremely impractical style, that would have killed most of the characters if not for plot armor? By the people, who wear no armor whatsoever and can be killed by any random blaster bolt? :rak_03:

Are we really arguing about how practical light-hilts are, for a physically impossible melee weapons in a world of rifles? Melee weapons that are by definition more dangerous to the people who wield them than to their foes? Same weapons that are wielded in extremely impractical style, that would have killed most of the characters if not for plot armor? By the people, who wear no armor whatsoever and can be killed by any random blaster bolt? :rak_03:

From this point of view this forum is useless, then? As it is devoted to the discussions and arguments about many physically impossible things.

But yes, we are. Because any new addition to the universe should be logically consistent, and previous lightsaber ideas were so. Unfortunately, lots of new ideas and characters using them have no logical sense, like the styles of Ahsoka, Darth Talon, and now this Ren weapon.

You mean more than he screwed up continuity with the prequels?

No, this new movie is really good. Just keep your expectations in check and let the movie sink in for a day or two before reaching a conclusion. Is it flawless? Hell no, but neither are the originals. And if you know the EU then you're in for a nice treat in this movie.

Which is why I believe he would have screwed up the EU with his new movies.

I have no doubt that if George made three new movies, Harrison Ford would have returned to play Han Solo and Chewie would still be alive as his sidekick. That right there would have negated a large chunk of the EU.

To George, the EU was only canon until a movie said they weren't. Same for any medium that wasn't a movie. The the movies could take it and change it as well.