List of large things that would make the game feel alive

When I play I get the feeling that I enjoy the starting planets more. They feel more living. Here is why:

They contain skirmishes

I remember during the scavenger hunt event that occasionally some NPC's would come into one of the areas of Nar Shadaar and start shooting at security forces in the dancing area and a fight would break out. That made it feel like the people on the planet actually did something other than stand around waiting ot be shot. So on newer planets, where we are supposedly fighting someone, please show it. Skirmishes in which NPCs die would be great too. I could watch the fight between seperatists and the Republic on Ord Mantell for an hour and not one hp would be lost for anyone. I don't know how much AI work it would require, but the benefits of making those changes would be huge in terms of making the galaxy feel like it contains people - not idling drones.

Anything else that makes the game feel more alive to you?

Beast that roam, birds that fly and land. Weather , there's nothing like a rain storm to give u ambiance. Day night cycle.

Speeders that don't disapear when u dismount. Camping bases for when your in the deep wilds of a planet.

There's a lot could be done. But I also appreciate the beauty created by the devs in the planets they have painted. Taris is my favourite btw, followed by nar shadar.

Edited by Apeth

Cantinas should be places where player meet. There should be a reason to visit differnt cantinas in the game.

Best reason would be: Pazaak.

Different tables in different cantinas, to play against player or npcs.

Or a duel pit. Also different in every cantina, to have a reason to visit them. And maybe a daily or wekkly quest with tasks done in the cantinas. But more than pressing a blue highlightes button!

:)

Right now in cantinas player logout. Yeah great. Thats what Mos Eisley reminds me of, going to sleep.

NO!

http://starwars.com/watch/episode_4_creature_cantina.html

Every place where some player meet is dead. Like the PvP terminal. No music, no bar, nothing. Like the parking area of WalMart. Who came up with that!? And why dosn't anybody change it, till they know thats where player meet!

Edited by discbox

More options for role players. Seriously, role players can be a great addition to the environment just by being there and doing there thing.

Chat bubbles are a thing but there's more that can be done to make them more present and sort of be the buzz that sometimes is missing.

When I play I get the feeling that I enjoy the starting planets more. They feel more living. Here is why:

They contain skirmishes

I remember during the scavenger hunt event that occasionally some NPC's would come into one of the areas of Nar Shadaar and start shooting at security forces in the dancing area and a fight would break out. That made it feel like the people on the planet actually did something other than stand around waiting ot be shot. So on newer planets, where we are supposedly fighting someone, please show it. Skirmishes in which NPCs die would be great too. I could watch the fight between seperatists and the Republic on Ord Mantell for an hour and not one hp would be lost for anyone. I don't know how much AI work it would require, but the benefits of making those changes would be huge in terms of making the galaxy feel like it contains people - not idling drones.

Anything else that makes the game feel more alive to you?

They cannot even make game Night/Day cycle, make Open World PVP viable or allow us to even swim because the engine is really bad.

TLDR

WoW engine>GW2 engine>TESO engine>SWG engine> Pentium IV> Atari> Microwave> Calculator > Pencil> Fried Potatoe> Raw Potato> Swtor engine.

More options for role players. Seriously, role players can be a great addition to the environment just by being there and doing there thing.

Chat bubbles are a thing but there's more that can be done to make them more present and sort of be the buzz that sometimes is missing.

I agree with the usefulness of roleplayers. I love seeing roleplayers do their thing while roaming the galaxy. The best roleplayers are the credit farmers though. Standing in the corner under a staircase in fleet as they sell their goods to a wall. Brilliant!

That really saddens me that the engine isn't capable of day / night (taking above poster's word on it) as that always captures me in a game.

Weather is one that I've always loved.

NPC's moving around. They can run in pointless circuts, but seeing them go about 'daily lives' really captures the feel of a world.

Ambient soundtracks. I appreciate what's in the game but birds chirping, the hum of speeders, the sound of wind, the cackles of a crowd.

That really saddens me that the engine isn't capable of day / night (taking above poster's word on it) as that always captures me in a game.

Actually, it can, just they choose not to at this current juncture.

Hero Engine Day/Night Cycle Videos:

•  

Edited by Blev

They cannot even make game Night/Day cycle, make Open World PVP viable or allow us to even swim because the engine is really bad.

TLDR

WoW engine>GW2 engine>TESO engine>SWG engine> Pentium IV> Atari> Microwave> Calculator > Pencil> Fried Potatoe> Raw Potato> Swtor engine.

No, the lack of a day/night cycle is not a result of engine failure. The artists wanted each planet to have unique lighting. A cycle would destroy the uniqueness that the planets currently have.

I can certainly appreciate that aspect.

However, I don't feel a cycle would destroy that by any means. The hues could even be maintained in the darkness; purples on Tatooine's dunes, blues on Hoth's ice, etc. The monsters wouldn't need to change, in terms of cost I wouldn't imagine new sky images would cost a whole-lot...although it would probably be a pain to go back and add lights to the buildings.

Edited by Kremsau

You know, I never thought of RP'ers in this way. Not being a RP'er myself... but they could add some ambiance to the cantina's or other locations... by as you said, just doing their thing.

That being said, I have seen RP'ers abused (not by me personally), but I have seen it... and it can be downright borderline harassment. I certainly wouldn't want to put them in "harms way" so to speak.

I can certainly appreciate that aspect.

However, I don't feel a cycle would destroy that by any means. The hues could even be maintained in the darkness; purples on Tatooine's dunes, blues on Hoth's ice, etc. The monsters wouldn't need to change, in terms of cost I wouldn't imagine new sky images would cost a whole-lot...although it would probably be a pain to go back and add lights to the buildings.

You'd also have to consider how authentic you'd want to make the Day/Night cycle. For example, Hutta and Nar Shaddaa both have an 87 hour rotations, however, Nar Shaddaa is a moon, so it's day/night cycle would be completely different from Hutta's. And what about all the other planets? Do you have a day/night cycle based off their particular rotations?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I think it would be interesting to add it to all the planets and maybe have various local times. You could potentially even make time/day based missions and such. It certainly would at least make things feel at least a little bit more dynamic than it is now.

Edited by Blev

I agree with all of this, a day/night cycle would be great, and implementing things into the cantina like a duel pit and missions to make it a social hub would be great. They should also try and do more with Nar shadaa, you can tell they have plans for it to make it a social hub because if you walk around the promenade there are tons of blocked off sections they could use. I really want to see something done with Nar Shadaa and Galactic Strongholds is part one I hope.

Pfft, role playing in an MMORPG? Give me a break! :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, I agree, more ambiance is needed. One of the things I miss about CoH is how alive the city was. That's something it seems a lot of newer MMOs miss the mark on is making their world actually seem like a world instead of just a box that contains your next raid or PvP kill.

The biggest thing I can think of that would have a huge impact on SW:TOR is the addition of full on RVR (complete with base capturing, sieges, relics that impact the entire faction rather then specific groups or guilds.

Create a place to hold the war

move away from the kiddyville warzones nonsense

make players of all levels become invested in their faction .

That would be a huge item if they did it right with all the required material

But would greatly impact game (positively).

Only other big thing would be new classes complete with leveling storylines

But I doubt that ever happens

Rest is small stuff that would bring a big impact like Pazzaak, swoop racing, mentoring, appearence tabs, new 2 man flashpoints and 4 man ops, stuff like that.

Beast that roam, birds that fly and land. Weather , there's nothing like a rain storm to give u ambiance. Day night cycle.

Speeders that don't disapear when u dismount. Camping bases for when your in the deep wilds of a planet.

There's a lot could be done. But I also appreciate the beauty created by the devs in the planets they have painted. Taris is my favourite btw, followed by nar shadar.

This.

Some effects on planets like dust storm on tatooine and general effects improved.

Every planet in the galaxy has a different day/night cycle. Is it more immersive or less immersive to have the planets all on a standard 24 hour cycle than to have them perpetually one or the other? Personally I would say less. Edited by Icebergy

Every planet in the galaxy has a different day/night cycle. Is it more immersive or less immersive to have the planets all on a standard 24 hour cycle than to have them perpetually one or the other? Personally I would say less.

That is assuming that IF day/night would be introduced, the cycle would be the same for all.

Since it isn't in the game, where does the 24hour come from, or better said, why would it even need to be a 24hr cycle?

Haven't played many MMO's, in fact only two before this one, and one of those does have a day/night cycle and even varying wind speeds. However, in that game the devs chose to shorten the day/night cycle to a length such that any player, regardless of physical location, would be able to experience the cycle.

Your assumption that it would be 24hour based would completely negate that option. So even IF it were to be implemented, it would have to be scaled down so we can actually experience this without the need for matchsticks on the next day. Likewise, because of the different sizes/rotation speeds of the various planets, they also would have to be of different length as you also state yourself (kinda confusing ).

The argument that the fixed lighting was chosen to emphasize atmosphere I can understand with regards to Taris, but with all respect, that is IMHO not a valid reason to not have day/night cycles. The same mood and lighting circumstances can be created just as well with daylight as with nightlight. Just make the day on Imperial Taris a moody period by using cloudy, gloomy whether, and on the Republic Taris the night cycle could be made brighter by reflective light from whatever moon/planet happens to be visible on the side of the planet the map is located and which has consequently a much clearer sky even at night. (and because of the heavy clouds and moody weather on Imperial Taris, the nights would be what they are now, dark)

On the other hand. Nar Shaddaa is a moon, so it's day/night cycle is not only governed by its own rotation but also by its rotation around its planet, so it could very well be that it actually does not have a day/night cycle (not that deep into the lore and pretty much don't care either). In fact, the whole scenic atmosphere speaks night-life so wouldn't at all be bothered if Nar Shaddaa never got a day/night cycle or one where the difference in lighting is not that pronounced.

Quesh for instance, its atmosphere being heavily polluted, could very well have such a reduced daylight option and a relative lighter nightlight option. Because as result of the heavy pollution more city light would be reflected back to the surface.

Edited by LeJarC

That is assuming that IF day/night would be introduced, the cycle would be the same for all.

Since it isn't in the game, where does the 24hour come from, or better said, why would it even need to be a 24hr cycle?

Haven't played many MMO's, in fact only two before this one, and one of those does have a day/night cycle and even varying wind speeds. However, in that game the devs chose to shorten the day/night cycle to a length such that any player, regardless of physical location, would be able to experience the cycle.

Currently, nobody experiences the cycle neither, i don't think thats the best possible solution

The AI programming in this game is atrocious. By far one of the biggest disappointments of SWTOR imo. I'm fine with no day/night cycle and Fleet is always dry...but the way NPCs behave (or don't behave) is just amateurish.

They contain skirmishes

Then you might probably enjoy Makeb. In the beginning I was going nuts over the number of mobs that seemed overwhelming at times. But once the initial shock had subsided, I began noticing that there's an awful lot of interaction going on between the NPC's and the local wild-life, or amongst the various species of wild-life. So much so even that you can exploit this to your benefits when doing the dailies.

And although I would indeed love some more liveliness on other planets, I also am aware that it would require a lot of rewriting of AI scripts to change all that and still make it work and above all not have it interfere with the existing class quests. Although there are situations where you for instance encounter a run-over outpost now occupied by the local wild-life. here they could possibly script it such that you might actually witness that happening, and possibly interfere to change the outcome without becoming the next target yourself

Edited by LeJarC

I dont care much for day/night cycles. What i'm missing is more ambience. Neonsigns "humming" birds singing, walking on Hoth maybe the snow would "squeek" Nerfs might actually "moo" once in a while (quite rare ofc.)

Also, seeing the same npc cleaning the exact same spot on the floor for now over 2 years isn't helping. If it was an npc standing and just watching the scenery that's one thing, but a worker should finish at some point.

I suspect the older planets won't get updated but I sure hope they will do something, anything to liven up some places.

Currently doing the MCR-99 quest line and ended up on Corellia. Now, I can't remember if it felt the same when dong the story quests here, but I could'ave sworn the place was more lively...but now that I am revisiting it looks like the planet suffered a mass exodus because it's absolutely dead..npc's are few and far apart. For a planet in turmoil because of the all out war that is supposed to be going on here it is even more quiet than Balmorra.

Edited by LeJarC