Why does my GPU now have to work overtime after the last patch.

OverStone

My system specs are

OS = Windows 7 x64 SP1

MEM = 16Gb Ram

CPU = i7-2600 @3.4Ghz

GPU = AMD Radeon HD 6900 2Gb using latest non-beta drivers version 12.104.0.0

SWTOR Loc = System drive

HDD = 1.5 Tb fast Sata

When playing SWTOR after the last patch unless the graphics settings are set to low my GPU fan is constantly running at high speed, even at medium graphics settings it works harder than usual

1) System is regularly cleaned so no unusual build up of dirt/fluff in PC interior or fans,

2) I have rolled back the graphics driver to 2 prior versions with no change,

3) Reset DiskCacheArena,

4) SWTOR is the only game where this happens I also play the following games at max settings on the machine World of Warcraft, Unreal III, Diablo III, Starcraft II, World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3, I realise they use different engines but I can still play them all at max settings without my GPU struggling.

Q) Is anyone else seeing such behaviour ?

Kind Regards

Overstone

My HD6950 was frequently pretty loud with SWOR, even well before the last patch (I'd say since launch), but not everywhere and even on default settings in CCC.

However, while I don't want to call a sample size of two a real trend, there's also that guy who seems to be having similar issues with a Geforce: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7406284&postcount=8

I applied the changes to AA and ambient occlusion and even found newer drivers from AMD released on 17th April at version 14.100.0.0. Although the GPU is a little better with SWTOR it is still way above normal, the temp stays around 95 to 97 degrees at High graphics settings and the fan is working between 75% and 80% just to maintain that level.

I see no evidence that this is my GPU since no other app/game or streaming and playback of HD videos cause anything like this overhead.

Will BioWare be able to assist I wonder or am I going to be brushed to one side with platitudes.

I will open a ticket and see what they have to say.

Regards,

Overstone