Humble Hero & Black/Black Dye now available on CM :)

$20 for a gear dye, you got to be kidding me!

I mean, seriously?

It's actually about $13.80 - $15 if you buy CC's in bulk (why wouldn't you? I mean if you can afford to buy CC to begin with, you should aim for the best $$$:CC conversion).

Also, if you use CC's to make money anyway then it's basically a wash assuming a baseline market price of 2-3mil vs. how many Credits you can convert the average 1 CC into (it's about 1.25-1.5k Creds / CC on my server's marketplace if you choose smartly).

And in a worst-case scenario, by making an RNG item now directly obtainable they also directly increase the supply of that item, meaning prices temporarily drop for everyone, even Credit buyers, meaning if you want Black/Black dye this actually makes it more available to you even if you don't buy CC or wish to use your accumulated Stipend on it.

Yes, yes, BioWare is out to grab our pocketbooks by reaching through our nethers — we know. So is our government and every other business we encounter in daily life, because — to quote Idiocracy — "I like money".

So if you just start from the assumption that this is how things are, and you can work within the system to turn it best to your advantage, then you see that 2k CC for Black/Black is actually very competitive and reasonable. Pricing lower would damage the item's deliberate and intended scarcity; pricing higher would make it a bad deal vs. average GTN rates.

It's actually about $13.80 - $15 if you buy CC's in bulk (why wouldn't you? I mean if you can afford to buy CC to begin with, you should aim for the best $$$:CC conversion).

Also, if you use CC's to make money anyway then it's basically a wash assuming a baseline market price of 2-3mil vs. how many Credits you can convert the average 1 CC into (it's about 1.25-1.5k Creds / CC on my server's marketplace if you choose smartly).

And in a worst-case scenario, by making an RNG item now directly obtainable they also directly increase the supply of that item, meaning prices temporarily drop for everyone, even Credit buyers, meaning if you want Black/Black dye this actually makes it more available to you even if you don't buy CC or wish to use your accumulated Stipend on it.

Yes, yes, BioWare is out to grab our pocketbooks by reaching through our nethers — we know. So is our government and every other business we encounter in daily life, because — to quote Idiocracy — "I like money".

So if you just start from the assumption that this is how things are, and you can work within the system to turn it best to your advantage, then you see that 2k CC for Black/Black is actually very competitive and reasonable. Pricing lower would damage the item's deliberate and intended scarcity; pricing higher would make it a bad deal vs. average GTN rates.

Actually the range is more like

• 450CC $4.99 => 2000 CC = $22.18
  • 1050 CC $9.99 => 2000 CC = $19.03
  • 2400 CC $19.99 => 2000 CC = $16.66
  • 5500 CC $39.99 => 2000 CC = $14.54

That is without taxes.

Then it's not a matter whether one can afford it or not, well actually it is, but the issue lies far above it.

Let's take a comparison, for the same amount you can play subscribe to at least a month worth of content to any MMO out there or even by full games on steam.

Also don't forget the dye will be destroyed if you want to move it or replace it.

While nobody is obliged to buy this item, it's writing a very dirty line in SWTOR

You are free to suck it but, in my book it's a ripoff and the suits are clearly testing how far they can go with milking people.

That is without taxes.

Then it's not a matter whether one can afford it or not, well actually it is, but the issue lies far above it.

Let's take a comparison, for the same amount you can play subscribe to at least a month worth of content to any MMO out there or even by full games on steam.

Also don't forget the dye will be destroyed if you want to move it or replace it.

While nobody is obliged to buy this item, it's writing a very dirty line in SWTOR

You are free to suck it but, in my book it's a ripoff and the suits are clearly testing how far they can go with milking people.

That's how the pricing has always been. And don't forget they have sales, and you can buy them off the gtn for credits.

That is without taxes.

You're missing $99.99 → 14500 CC = $13.80 / 2000 CC.

So I stand by my statement that it's roughly $13- $15 at bulk CC rates. If you're buying at inefficient conversions that's your prerogative, but also doesn't make much sense and the 'higher' prices are your own choice.

Which is irrelevant, because you want to dye your pants black in SWTOR and subscribing to other MMOs or buying a junky game on Steam doesn't let you do that.

Also irrelevant. Major XP Boosts are consumed on use, they still have value, you accept that and pay for them if you decide their value is worth it.

No. They're not. CM and other CC purchases established that a long time ago.

If the devs simply wanted to make as much money as possible off Black/Black dye they would price it cheaper so more people would be inclined to dump CC on it, because it's such a high-demand item that volume would very likely outweigh loss per individual dye.

You can see the same phenomenon with WoW Buy-a-90 — it's priced at $60, which people assumed was to make Blizz as much money as possible. But it's actually making them less money because it discourages people from bothering since it's very expensive compared to any other service.

In both cases the explanation is the same — they are offering an item for purchase and intending it to sell less than it hypothetically could. They are doing this because they want it to remain artificially scarce.

If they made Black/Black dye incredibly cheap, it would have a chain-reaction effect:

• The market would absolutely flood, making it unprofitable to bother
  • The appeal of Dye Module Kits would drop heavily since the rare 'super' dyes are the primary temptation for Dye Kit buyers
  • Black/Black would cease to be a vanity/status/luxury item and become too standard and common

Black/Black is intended to be relatively scarce. It's intended to be a luxury item that few have access to. You can argue about whether this should or should not be, but it's clearly BioWare's intention.

Pricing at 2000 CC offers people an unpredictable, rare alternative way to obtain Black/Black without relying on RNG. It's meant to feel like a blow to your CC pocketbook because it's meant to feel like a luxury item that few will be willing or able to spring for, because it's meant to remain scarce.

Yes, as gaming becomes more mainstream and more gamers grow up and develop incomes, developers have realized they can charge for more things at higher prices for profit, or as an alternative to spending time grinding stuff when they want to artificially limit the quantity of something in the world.

But you are still able to make the same choices as always about how to spend $15. Because they want Black/Black to be scarce and a luxury, it would not have been simply handed out even in a system without CC. It would be a NiM boss drop or a very expensive craft or a massive rep grind or ... etc etc etc.

Whether you spend the hours earning $15 IRL to buy a dye, or spend those hours grinding a gate system in-game, one way or another you would still be 'paying' heavily for a Black Dye because of its intentionally-engineered scarcity.

So, go ahead — spend those hours playing the game grinding up 3 million credits instead. There. You just unlocked a Black/Black dye without spending RL money, and it cost you a significant investment to do so — exactly as BioWare intends it for this color.

So I stand by my statement that it's roughly $13- $15 at bulk CC rates. If you're buying at inefficient conversions that's your prerogative, but also doesn't make much sense and the 'higher' prices are your own choice.

Which is irrelevant, because you want to dye your pants black in SWTOR and subscribing to other MMOs or buying a junky game on Steam doesn't let you do that.

Also irrelevant. Major XP Boosts are consumed on use, they still have value, you accept that and pay for them if you decide their value is worth it.

If the devs simply wanted to make as much money as possible off Black/Black dye they would price it cheaper so more people would be inclined to dump CC on it, because it's such a high-demand item that volume would very likely outweigh loss per individual dye.

You can see the same phenomenon with WoW Buy-a-90 — it's priced at $60, which people assumed was to make Blizz as much money as possible. But it's actually making them less money because it discourages people from bothering since it's very expensive compared to any other service.

In both cases the explanation is the same — they are offering an item for purchase and intending it to sell less than it hypothetically could. They are doing this because they want it to remain artificially scarce.

If they made Black/Black dye incredibly cheap, it would have a chain-reaction effect:

• The appeal of Dye Module Kits would drop heavily since the rare 'super' dyes are the primary temptation for Dye Kit buyers
  • Black/Black would cease to be a vanity/status/luxury item and become too standard and common

Black/Black is intended to be relatively scarce. It's intended to be a luxury item that few have access to. You can argue about whether this should or should not be, but it's clearly BioWare's intention.

Pricing at 2000 CC offers people an unpredictable, rare alternative way to obtain Black/Black without relying on RNG. It's meant to feel like a blow to your CC pocketbook because it's meant to feel like a luxury item that few will be willing or able to spring for, because it's meant to remain scarce.

Yes, as gaming becomes more mainstream and more gamers grow up and develop incomes, developers have realized they can charge for more things at higher prices for profit, or as an alternative to spending time grinding stuff when they want to artificially limit the quantity of something in the world.

But you are still able to make the same choices as always about how to spend $15. Because they want Black/Black to be scarce and a luxury, it would not have been simply handed out even in a system without CC. It would be a NiM boss drop or a very expensive craft or a massive rep grind or ... etc etc etc.

Whether you spend the hours earning $15 IRL to buy a dye, or spend those hours grinding a gate system in-game, one way or another you would still be 'paying' heavily for a Black Dye because of its intentionally-engineered scarcity.

So, go ahead — spend those hours playing the game grinding up 3 million credits instead. There. You just unlocked a Black/Black dye without spending RL money, and it cost you a significant investment to do so — exactly as BioWare intends it for this color.

Well put!

They actually do the same thing with diamonds in real life (Diamond traders, not bioware).

If you collected all the diamonds that exist in the word and gave them to the population of the US, every person would get a large bowl full of diamonds (think cereal bowl size)...

But they deliberately keep diamonds out of circulation to artifically keep the prices up.

I'll give you a way shorter version: it's your choice if you like to pay

No matter how you put it, it's a ripoff and pretty sure the suits are laughing hard reading your post and patting themselves on the back (I know I would).

Edited by Deewe

No matter how you put it, it's a ripoff and pretty sure the suits are laughing hard reading your post and patting themselves on the back (I know I would).

No matter

In that case the entire industry is a ripoff since games don't cost that much to produce and they could be sold for much less...

Of course, people still like to make a profit but hey, who needs profits right? they could all just be cheritable non-profit corporations :rolleyes:

In that case the entire industry is a ripoff since games don't cost that much to produce and they could be sold for much less...

Of course, people still like to make a profit but hey, who needs profits right? they could all just be cheritable non-profit corporations :rolleyes:

Modern AAA games costs in the $40 millions and up.

Then it's not a matter of profits, its a matter of how it's generated.

Never said there was an issue with making profits.

It's not a ripoff.

The game itself is a loss leader, presumably. They are able to pay for the costs of running and expanding the game by charging huge markups on stuff like the dye module. So people who willingly pay enormous costs for stuff like that are underwriting MY ability to play. Edited by EranofArcadia

Modern AAA games costs in the $40 millions and up.

Then it's not a matter of profits, its a matter of how it's generated.

Never said there was an issue with making profits.

And they often make more than double that back.

It's always about profit. Do you think servers are free? Do you think the staff works for peanuts? There is an ongoing cost to maintain and develop this game. And you are claiming that they put these things out to "rip us off".

That's bs.

You have already heard why they are pricing it so high. It's to maintain the rarity of the item so it doesn't lose too much value.

Stop being petty and just buy it off the GTN in a few days when it's cheaper because it's value has gone down alot (despite the high CC cost. Imagine what would happen if they sold it for 500cc)

Ok I back down,

Yep its extreme, CC pricing on dyes should be lighter.

Dyes on this game is luxury, when in fact is fundamental part of gameplay too.

Edited by ZahirS

And they often make more than double that back.

It's always about profit. Do you think servers are free? Do you think the staff works for peanuts? There is an ongoing cost to maintain and develop this game. And you are claiming that they put these things out to "rip us off".

That's bs.

You have already heard why they are pricing it so high. It's to maintain the rarity of the item so it doesn't lose too much value.

Stop being petty and just buy it off the GTN in a few days when it's cheaper because it's value has gone down alot (despite the high CC cost. Imagine what would happen if they sold it for 500cc)

Disagree with the often.

Not that many AAA games are that profitable.

IMO the asked price for gear dyes is way off

But you are right people can buy the black dye.

I'm going to keep enjoying the game with "free" grey dyes I can craft and that are not that far from the spoken about one, especially in many lighting conditions. BTW l also have them on companions and alts.

Edited by Deewe

That's not a shorter version at all.

You're saying it's a ripoff, gouging, blahblah. I'm saying if they really wanted to milk you, they'd price it much cheaper, so you'd feel like you're getting a "deal" and buy it (probably buy multiples and spend more than 2000 CC total in most cases).

I'm saying it's priced as a luxury item and a convenience. It's a bonus to players that they have the option of temporarily bypassing RNG — essentially a courtesy, since they could get a lot more CC out of you buying Dye Kits to try to get a Black/Black.

I get the feeling your defensive sarcasm / derisiveness is a product of frustration that you can't buy the Black/Black dye you want, but — it's priced very reasonably for an item with intended scarcity, and there are many alternative ways to obtain said dye.

I'm happy to call BioWare out when they milk us hard, but there is nothing wrong with the way they offer Black/Black considering its clearly-designated place in the game system as a luxury and vanity item.

That's not a shorter version at all.

You're saying it's a ripoff, gouging, blahblah. I'm saying if they really wanted to milk you, they'd price it much cheaper, so you'd feel like you're getting a "deal" and buy it (probably buy multiples and spend more than 2000 CC total in most cases).

I'm saying it's priced as a luxury item and a convenience. It's a bonus to players that they have the option of temporarily bypassing RNG — essentially a courtesy, since they could get a lot more CC out of you buying Dye Kits to try to get a Black/Black.

I get the feeling your defensive sarcasm / derisiveness is a product of frustration that you can't buy the Black/Black dye you want, but — it's priced very reasonably for an item with intended scarcity, and there are many alternative ways to obtain said dye.

I'm happy to call BioWare out when they milk us hard, but there is nothing wrong with the way they offer Black/Black considering its clearly-designated place in the game system as a luxury and vanity item.

Wrong feeling.

Over $10 for a single gear dye, you can't even swap out isn't reasonable.

Look it's a month worth of any MMO out there.

Edited by Deewe

• 2 weeks later...