Origin/EA compromised.

Infernixx

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one reason is why I refuse to use Origin. Ever. For anything.

You are using it.

SWTOR account is linked to Origin account. And since you pay for SWTOR, your credit card/paypal information is linked to your Origin account.

Also, there is nothing to stop hackers from loging into your Origin account and changing e-mail and password... this will also change e-mail and password for your SWTOR account.

Security Key is worthless basicly, and 1.7 million passwords are floating around.

This is a big deal.

Edited by Apophis_

You are using it.

SWTOR account is linked to Origin account. And since you pay for SWTOR, your credit card/paypal information is linked to your Origin account.

Also, there is nothing to stop hackers from loging into your Origin account and changing e-mail and password... this will also change e-mail and password for your SWTOR account.

Security Key is worthless basicly, and 1.7 million passwords are floating around.

This is a big deal.

Um... unless they did something in the background to link, no, I never had anything for Origin come up, my payments don't go through Origin, and I've never installed the Origin bloatware on my PC.

Um... unless they did something in the background to link, no, I never had anything for Origin come up, my payments don't go through Origin, and I've never installed the Origin bloatware on my PC.

Doesn't matter, swtor accounts works with Origin, all your payments information IS THERE. I just checked my payment history in Origin client and I have Shadow of Revan and Sub payments listed there.

Edited by Apophis_

Your swtor account is your Origin account so yes your payments do go through Origin.

This is a big deal.

Wrong, can't change those things without the e-mail password which Origin doesn't have.

I suggest you set up a security key for this game and on Origin a security log in that sends you a text whenever you log in from another computer.

Changing passwords also helps sure, and monitor your bank account obviously (doubt they care about your account, just want your credit card).

Edited by NecroMayre

I realised these are linked when I changed e-mail adress on Origin, and couldn't log in to SWTOR with the old one. Passwords are also shared, and my Paypal (which I never linked to Origin) is included there as default payment method.

Origin doesn't have any secondary wall turned on by default (you can turn on e-mail/SMS one-time passwords, do it), so basicly most players not aware they own Origin account with SWTOR account have a worthless Security Key or One-Time Passwords.

EA, or even just BioWare, should force people to change their passwords because this is pretty serious.

Edited by Apophis_

Origin is actually pretty decent, my only issue with it that it isn't STEAM!

However, for your original complaint, no online service is immune to hacking.

Wrong, can't change those things without the e-mail password which Origin doesn't have.

Are you sure you need access to the old e-mail account to change it? Because I don't remember doing this. Can't try now, since I have additional SMS one-time passwords.

Still, payment methods are there on Origin.

Are you sure you need access to the old e-mail account to change it? Because I don't remember doing this. Can't try now, since I have additional SMS one-time passwords.

Still, payment methods are there on Origin.

Yes you need access to the old e-mail to change to a new e-mail.

"gosh darn" EA... I don't use your crapware for a reason.

Origin is actually pretty decent, my only issue with it that it isn't STEAM!

However, for your original complaint, no online service is immune to hacking.

Origin is bloatware, spyware, adware, and DRM, all rolled into one.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

"gosh darn" EA... I don't use your crapware for a reason.

Origin is bloatware, spyware, adware, and DRM, all rolled into one.

I really hate that I have to defend EA on this, but your hyperbole is way overblown. You really have to justify saying that, because if anything it is way less bloated and intrusive than Steam.

EDIT: I do partly concede the invasion of privacy part, but for the rest I can't.

Edited by znihilist

I realised these are linked when I changed e-mail adress on Origin, and couldn't log in to SWTOR with the old one. Passwords are also shared, and my Paypal (which I never linked to Origin) is included there as default payment method.

Origin doesn't have any secondary wall turned on by default (you can turn on e-mail/SMS one-time passwords, do it), so basicly most players not aware they own Origin account with SWTOR account have a worthless Security Key or One-Time Passwords.

EA, or even just BioWare, should force people to change their passwords because this is pretty serious.

Huh, could you point to the way this is done? I'm on "my account" but I can't find those parameters. Thanks.

Thanks.... but nope, I have "security questions" and "security key" in the left column, between "facebook connect" and "basic information", but that's all... :rak_02:

You need to login to Origin, not SWTOR.com. Just go to this page, login with the same e-mail address and password like you have with SWTOR, and turn on Login Verification.

For the people who didn't bother to actually read the article.
Update: Electronic Arts says its investigation into the matter has come up empty. "We found no indication at this point of a breach of our Origin account database," an EA rep said.

[update: Electronic Arts says its investigation into the matter has come up empty. "We found no indication at this point of a breach of our Origin account database," an EA rep said. "Privacy and security of user account information are of the utmost importance to us. We encourage our players to use Origin user ID and passwords that are unique to their account, and to report any activity they feel may be unauthorized to EA customer support at help.ea.com."

Just be smart, enable login verification (something you should always do on every service if possible) and stay calm.