Am I gimping myself not doing the class quests?

whytakemine

From talking to a friend in game and skimming the forums, it seems the normal route to credits/gear when hitting 50 is to do daily quests on Belsavis and Ilum for commendations and money. It also sounds like you can't do the dailies unless you have gotten to some certain point in your class quest line, which I'm assuming is fairly far along.

I don't like to quest. Last time I tried I lasted less than 10 minutes before I quit the game in irritation. Is it possible for me to gear up/get credits by pvp'ing or doing flashpoints and operations? I hear there are some gear changes coming soon in 1.2. Should I just wait until 1.2 comes out?

I'm level 48 I think (it's been a little while since I logged in) so I'm pretty close to 50. I don't mind gearing up in other ways if it takes a little longer, but if there is no real alternative I guess I better start working on my class quests. :(

I do have 1000/1000 pvp commendations as well as several hundred medpacks and adrenals (nothing else to spend commendations on), so I have a jump start on PVP gear if that helps.

Class quests give you companions, your starship, etc etc etc. So yes you are gimping yourself

Not getting your companion isn't really gimping yourself - since you only use your companion for doing quests. If you're just going to level up through PvP then you don't need a companion.

Not having a ship will gimp you, but you get your ship fairly early on.

Companions aside, if you don't want to do class quests but want dailies, I believe only the Ilum dailies are class story dependent(you have to finish chapter 1-3). The Belsavis dailies are doable without having done the class quests so far as I know, or at least don't seem dependent on the bonus series completion.

As far as gearing up, I'd say it's much faster to run hm flashpoints for gear when you hit 50 than it is to grind dailies.

Credit-wise, unless you've gotten at least a few companions to run crew missions for you, you're pretty much up the creek. If nothing else, I'd finish your class quests(which should be cake if you and your companion are geared in at least same-level greens) only for the companions, as doing 3 crew skills is much easier, not to mention a passive way to earn credits while you're doing whatever you do.

Also consider this: running reg BP flashpoint (or the republic version of it if you're a pub)(easy for you considering your level) should net you about 75k credits per run(kill and loot everything, of course), so don't worry overly much unless you're planning on getting the 2.5mil lightsaber crystal.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Thanks! It sounds like I don't need to do my class quests. Or any more of them anyway - I have done some and I do have my ship.

I don't think I care about legacy. I'm not really sure what it gains you. I know I've gotten at least a few ranks of legacy though, so I have gotten some somehow.

If you want to PvP, go ahead and just do class quest only (which is REALLLLLLLLY short on each planet. It is around 4-7 quest at most per planet) The side quests are in the same area as your class quest.

You would want to finish it to open up dailies also at level 48 you can send out FIVE companion (you will have 6 total. Five regular + ship droid)) and keep one around. You can send them doing five slicing mission at a time (which takes upto 1hr give or take)

If you don't care about the stories you might as well be playing WoW :/

This, lol, or any other non-story, grind-fest MMO, of which there are many.

@OP: I wouldn't say you're "gimping' yourself, but you are surely missing out on a large chunk of content that this game offers. Can you do it? Yes, it's possible to do. I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, if you dislike quesing that much, stick to what you like doing. That said, I do feel that running daily missions is the fastest and easiest way to make credits in this game. Warzones get you decent credits, but it's not as fast as dailies.

Edited by ViperI

This, lol, or any other non-story, grind-fest MMO, of which there are many.

@OP: I wouldn't say you're "gimping' yourself, but you are surely missing out on a large chunk of content that this game offers. Can you do it? Yes, it's possible to do. I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, if you dislike quesing that much, stick to what you like doing. That said, I do feel that running daily missions is the fastest and easiest way to make credits in this game. Warzones get you decent credits, but it's not as fast as dailies.

I also want to point out that gear wise in PvP only would be "expensive" they have gear every couple of levels and major jump is in 20 and 40 then 50.

upgrading would be a pain in the butt (no orange gear) and you would be spending credit on GTN to upgrade to give an extra edge.

1.2 PvP - Last i read they are severely reducing / removing the credit from warzones

HM / Ops - Initially you might end up with heavy repair bills. But the alloy used for crafting will be BOE so it can be sold for credits

I guess you could go around and pick u world node mats like Bio and sell or slicing nodes.

Space missions might be viable for credit

You would have at least a couple of companions right, they could still bring in some income but you will be at a disadvantage.

I kinda know where you are coming from, while maybe 10 years ago I would have been enamored with the storyline in this polished offering somehow these days I CBA. Still haven't completed the class quest myself but I had major first mover advantage economically on my server so never had issue with credits.

My advise at least get 4 companions and make them generate income from crew-skills. You don't have to complete the whole class quest storyline. Ignore all other quest and just focus on that until you get the companions.

Edited by Stovokor

Thanks! It sounds like I don't need to do my class quests. Or any more of them anyway - I have done some and I do have my ship.

I don't think I care about legacy. I'm not really sure what it gains you. I know I've gotten at least a few ranks of legacy though, so I have gotten some somehow.

New specie unlocks for classes, that couldnt use them before, some new cool tools to use to help you get around and level faster Ect. Ect, plus some new abilitys.

The OP didn't ask for some bioware story fanboys to tell him how to play his game, he asked if he was gimping himself by not doing class quests.

As for the subject, I would say yes if you are planning on doing anything but warzones at 50. If you want to do the level 50 dailies on Ilum/Belsavis for credits/daily comms you need to have completed all of your class quests. If you plan on crafting at all, having all of your companions will help a lot and you unlock them through your class quests. You said you already have your ship so you are set on that part. Honestly if you really just hate questing I would hit 50 doing whatever you are doing and then burn through the class quests easily, space bar through them if you don't want to waste your time.

Bear in mind that you can turn off the movies and just receive the quest objectives. If you left your storyline behind a while ago the quests from further back will be really easy. You'll also pick up commendations to spend on gear.

You're looking at a couple of evenings work but the payoff is good. You'll get money and credits from the quests, codex entries for completing stuff and you can pick up the datacrons you missed on the way. Plus you get the rest of your companions which makes crafting a doddle.

The OP didn't ask for some bioware story fanboys to tell him how to play his game, he asked if he was gimping himself by not doing class quests.

As for the subject, I would say yes if you are planning on doing anything but warzones at 50. If you want to do the level 50 dailies on Ilum/Belsavis for credits/daily comms you need to have completed all of your class quests. If you plan on crafting at all, having all of your companions will help a lot and you unlock them through your class quests. You said you already have your ship so you are set on that part. Honestly if you really just hate questing I would hit 50 doing whatever you are doing and then burn through the class quests easily, space bar through them if you don't want to waste your time.

I was merely stating that one of the sole, and most prominent factors in the game that makes it even remotely different from other MMOs is the fact that it actually has a story (multiple really) to it. If stating that makes me a fanboy in your book, then yes, I'm a fanboy.

Not getting your companion isn't really gimping yourself - since you only use your companion for doing quests.

And for crafting and gathering and crew skill missions...

Also, this game has spent a massive proportion of its development budget on the quests and the cinematics involved with them. You're paying over the odds for what you get if you ignore that aspect of the game.

Count me as another person who doesn't understand exactly why you are playing this game if you are going to completely skip the part of the game that really makes it "Star Wars", the story.

There are lots of games out there that have PvP and warzones, what makes this game different is the storyline that you get to participate in while leveling via your class questline. Without that, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to leveling at all.

In response to the OP, you might not be gimping yourself by not doing them, but you are robbing yourself of the lion's share of content by not doing the class quest.

Count me as another person who doesn't understand exactly why you are playing this game if you are going to completely skip the part of the game that really makes it "Star Wars", the story.

There are lots of games out there that have PvP and warzones, what makes this game different is the storyline that you get to participate in while leveling via your class questline. Without that, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to leveling at all.

In response to the OP, you might not be gimping yourself by not doing them, but you are robbing yourself of the lion's share of content by not doing the class quest.

^-- This. The story is what make the leveling part less "grinding"

A good case is that my wife is a VERY casual gamer (she puts in around 2-6 hours a week if that much) but the stories are so good and voice interaction is what kept her playing. She went "but that person ask so nicely" etc etc or "I wanna finish this just to piss that NPC off" etc etc.

Me and a friend have two level 50's we leveled together. The first time through we did our class quests and we only did them up until we got the main companion we wanted the second time.

The second time through took about half the time. The class quests don't give you much return on your time with the ridiculous amount of load screens. If you want to know the story just watch it on youtube.