Cap Gear Stats in PVP; a proposal

MrVicchio

The great failing of MMO PVP is "Gear". Gear should never be the big decider, yet it has been for a very very long time. Gear shouldn't grant a player awesomeness, and PVPing shouldn't grant you gear to be awesome in.

I would propose to the dev team, since you can "Bolster" players, to "Cap" gear in PVP. I.E. set a hard cap on stat effects for all gear in PVP. Especially in the end game.

Make the rewards not new "PVP Gear" but outside of PVP rewards. Mounts, pets, titles... MONEY... the amount of awesome ideas that can be had from this are limited only by your imagination.

Why do this?

PVP should be about the "event", be it a contested area or Battleground. Bragging rights should go with visible rewards not more overpowering gear.

It would increase PVP participation. Many folks don't bother because "I don't want to get killed by some guy in decked out gear"

Skills, teamwork and fun flow when it's a "fair fight", at least on paper.

It would also ease the balancing of PVP for the Dev Team. We'd also see less of the "PVP Nerf Bat" in PVE. This is a phenomenon that's been going on for years in MMO's.

In conclusion I would like to see Bioware take Star Wars PVP "outside" the traditional MMO Paradigm of "Gear rules all" much as they did with Story Telling and trying to alter the Trinity of DPS, Heals and Tank combat.

Thank you all for your time in reading this.

I'm guessing you dont have any Expertise or you have very little. It never surprises me that the people without it always come up with ideas to do away with it.

Sorry m8, but we forever see people come on here with ideas about how Bioware can give them free PvP gear, or how the guys who have grafted for their gear should have it taken off them.

I'm guessing you dont have any Expertise or you have very little. It never surprises me that the people without it always come up with ideas to do away with it.

Sorry m8, but we forever see people come on here with ideas about how Bioware can give them free PvP gear, or how the guys who have grafted for their gear should have it taken off them.

Strawman. Creating a "position" another poster did make and then "knocking it down".

You obviously didn't read a word I wrote, or you wouldn't have posted what you did.

I'm not asking for free anything, I'm asking for:

PVP To be evenly matched

Rewards to be outside PVP

Change the "Gear trumps all" focus that has plagued MMO PVP for so very long.

Edited by MrVicchio

Full Battlemaster is 12.66% 704 Expertise.... I know, I'm there after PvP'ing almost exclusively since level 10 with the exception of my class quest line. I have 18000 HP on my Mercenary, I've seen people walking around with 22000+ HP on PvE gear. Let's not forget that pots are base HP based, so the 22000 person gets close to 8000 HP per pot! How is this that unfair? Seriously... quit the QQ for PVP gear nerf, it's not the gear. It is getting really, really old that people who PVE all the time, do all the little side quests and flashpoints, then want to come in minis or open pvp and just faceroll players as well. The day BW nerfs PVP gear will be the day most of the PVP community leaves the game.

Don't cry that your 50 is getting planted in warzone, when I was leveling I had to go against 50s in warzones ;with my level <50, from people who power leveled since early release... I stuck with it and gradually got better, I suggest you do the same or go back to your instances.

Have a nice day!

Edited by NevesNET

Strawman. Creating a "position" another poster did make and then "knocking it down".

You obviously didn't read a word I wrote, or you wouldn't have posted what you did.

I'm not asking for free anything, I'm asking for:

PVP To be evenly matched

Rewards to be outside PVP

Change the "Gear trumps all" focus that has plagued MMO PVP for so very long.

No I read everything you wrote, but I also read in between the lines.

In between those lines it clearly read "I dont have much PvP Expertise stat and its not fair"

Edited by Barrechor

Unfortunately that post is why games think it is so necessary. After all how can people show their elite skills if they can't trounce someone without them scratching the paint job? Never mind that it has been well established that most battlemasters either got that way by control point swapping or taking advantage of the 1.1 valor imbalance on Ilum. No, we should 'earn' our gear the hard way like they did. :rolleyes:

Actually OP, that sort of system gear equalizing on Ilum might be what it takes to save the planet.

Something better here it go here it go get ready for it take EXPERTISE OUT take it out

FOR GOD SAKE THIS 2 SETS OF GEAR GRIND IS A PAIN IN THE *** let take it down to 1 set of gear lest call this set not pve gear not pvp gear lest call it

GEAR only thing we need is a Option to do what we enjoy so if we enjioy pvp let us pvp for gear we can use and if you enjoy pve let us pve for gear we can use put dont ever put a wall you got pve gear so you cant pvp or you got pvp gear so you cant pve is a PAIN ON THE AZZ Expertise is killing this game

Edited by MandoArc

Something better here it go here it go get ready for it take EXPERTISE OUT take it out if

FOR GOD SAKE THIS 2 SETS OF GEAR GRIND IS A PAIN IN THE *** let take it down to 1 set of gear lest call this set not pve gear not pvp gear lest call it

GEAR only thing we need is a Option to do what we enjoy so if we enjioy pvp let us pvp for gear we can use and if you enjoy pve let us pve for gear we can use put dont ever put a well you got pve gear so you cant pvp or you got pvp gear so you cant pve is a PAIN ON THE AZZ Expertise is killing this game

I'm fine with this, make all gear SAME stats then, PVE and PVP sets...

I'm sorry you think this is a whine thread, it's not. I raided Lady Vox back when Raiding Lady Vox MEANT something. I've hit GM in WoW and I raided cities in WAR.

I thought I'd toss out an "outside the box" line of thought, to spur innovative thought. Sadly, the responses so far have been the usual "LOL GEAR UP NOOB!" elitism that plagues MMO Forums.

Clearly I was in error in hoping such mentality had stayed... elsewhere.

Gear shouldn't be the deciding factor, nor should grind time spent. Only those with excess time desire this advantage to continue.

The great failing of MMO PVP is "Gear". Gear should never be the big decider, yet it has been for a very very long time. Gear shouldn't grant a player awesomeness, and PVPing shouldn't grant you gear to be awesome in.

I would propose to the dev team, since you can "Bolster" players, to "Cap" gear in PVP. I.E. set a hard cap on stat effects for all gear in PVP. Especially in the end game.

Make the rewards not new "PVP Gear" but outside of PVP rewards. Mounts, pets, titles... MONEY... the amount of awesome ideas that can be had from this are limited only by your imagination.

Why do this?

PVP should be about the "event", be it a contested area or Battleground. Bragging rights should go with visible rewards not more overpowering gear.

It would increase PVP participation. Many folks don't bother because "I don't want to get killed by some guy in decked out gear"

It would also ease the balancing of PVP for the Dev Team. We'd also see less of the "PVP Nerf Bat" in PVE. This is a phenomenon that's been going on for years in MMO's.

In conclusion I would like to see Bioware take Star Wars PVP "outside" the traditional MMO Paradigm of "Gear rules all" much as they did with Story Telling and trying to alter the Trinity of DPS, Heals and Tank combat.

i hear a lot off Q_Q ing over here.

we've all been their

Just keep playing you'll get more skill from fighting better geared poeple. You need to get really creative and learn you class. by the time you get valor 60 and get your gear, after hours and hours and yet more hours of play time you will have earned your right to wear battlemaster and own pvp.

The harder the fight the greater the reward, and because off all the experience of fighting beter geared people once your on the same lvl it will be easy.

and how would you justify all those hours someone esle has already put in the game to go to waist just because your so lazy you want to have the same stats as they do the moment you hit 50 !?

Unfortunately that post is why games think it is so necessary. After all how can people show their elite skills if they can't trounce someone without them scratching the paint job? Never mind that it has been well established that most battlemasters either got that way by control point swapping or taking advantage of the 1.1 valor imbalance on Ilum. No, we should 'earn' our gear the hard way like they did. :rolleyes:

Actually OP, that sort of system gear equalizing on Ilum might be what it takes to save the planet.

I can grind gear as well as anyone here, I'm just trying to be innovative. All gear grinds end up doing is discouraging players from PVPing.

Why bother queuing up if I'm gonna get face rolled for a "x" amount of time before I get enough gear to at least compete.

You should still have to "gear up" but the ceiling should be reasonable, and give no group of players a large advantage or disadvantage.

Full Battlemaster is 12.66% 704 Expertise.... I know, I'm there after PvP'ing almost exclusively since level 10 with the exception of my class quest line. I have 18000 HP on my Mercenary, I've seen people walking around with 22000+ HP on PvE gear. Let's not forget that pots are base HP based, so the 22000 person gets close to 8000 HP per pot! How is this that unfair? Seriously... quit the QQ for PVP gear nerf, it's not the gear. It is getting really, really old that people who PVE all the time, do all the little side quests and flashpoints, then want to come in minis or open pvp and just faceroll players as well. The day BW nerfs PVP gear will be the day most of the PVP community leaves the game.

Don't cry that your 50 is getting planted in warzone, when I was leveling I had to go against 50s in warzones ;with my level <50, from people who power leveled since early release... I stuck with it and gradually got better, I suggest you do the same or go back to your instances.

Have a nice day!

Wait what? So you say that PvP is an exclusive club? Look it, 3 warfronts and a planet is not even HALF of the content. I am a pvp player but I also spend my time raiding and other stuff, but I just got off at 6am gmt and even then there were 7 imps controlling the only spot to do your daily pvp. Maybe I should argue that you pvp players should have your gear nerfed because you can get the tier 1 stuff and start raiding with no problem. Gear up in hard modes like everyone else or go back to you endless circling on Ilum.:rolleyes:

Look all you kids, still at home adults, or even ones with no life. A fair portion of the players has other responsibilities besides playing a 'game'. This isn't a job, I don't get paid to play, and unless you are a farmer I doubt you do either. Stop insulting everyone who wants to make the game a little more accessible because right now i'm finding less and less an urge to pvp. Which I bet the two of you are imps so more Huttball for you.

Right now the PvP is dying because the Empire is outnumbering the Republic 3-4:1. Most of the PvP community wants republic to get better geared because endlessly steamrolling gets old.

I'm sorry you think this is a whine thread, it's not. I raided Lady Vox back when Raiding Lady Vox MEANT something. I've hit GM in WoW and I raided cities in WAR.

I thought I'd toss out an "outside the box" line of thought, to spur innovative thought. Sadly, the responses so far have been the usual "LOL GEAR UP NOOB!" elitism that plagues MMO Forums.

Clearly I was in error in hoping such mentality had stayed... elsewhere.

Gear shouldn't be the deciding factor, nor should grind time spent. Only those with excess time desire this advantage to continue.

Sorry but theres too many people on here who dont want to put time and effort into acquiring anything good. Its always people who dont have the gear who come up with these ideas, while the people who spent time grinding valour and hammering WZs will get screwed over by them.

If it was a fully geared BM suggesting this I might take it more seriously, but youre just another gear envy guy, with the opinion "I dont have it, so why should they".

we've all been their

Just keep playing you'll get more skill from fighting better geared poeple. You need to get really creative and learn you class. by the time you get valor 60 and get your gear, after hours and hours and yet more hours of play time you will have earned your right to wear battlemaster and own pvp.

The harder the fight the greater the reward, and because off all the experience of fighting beter geared people once your on the same lvl it will be easy.

and how would you justify all those hours someone esle has already put in the game to go to waist just because your so lazy you want to have the same stats as they do the moment you hit 50 !?

The QQing I hear is from you and those like you. Heaven forbid that your massive amounts of freetime not be rewarded with huge advantages in all aspects of the game world :rolleyes:

I never said "same stats" at 50, I said put a cap on stats for PVP.

I never cried about being disadvantaged, I pointed out the cost/benefit of thinking "differently"

There are plenty of ways to reward players for PVP, more awesome face roll gear is merely one, and IMHO, one that in the end, causes far more long term issues then it solves.

we've all been their

Um, again in 2 months we know that most of the top tiered pvp players got their stuff by trading control points or taking advantage of the imbalance on Ilum. Attacking lower lvls in pvp too. So how 'hard' was that fight and how many hours was that again?

Sorry but theres too many people on here who dont want to put time and effort into acquiring anything good. Its always people who dont have the gear who come up with these ideas, while the people who spent time grinding valour and hammering WZs will get screwed over by them.

If it was a fully geared BM suggesting this I might take it more seriously, but youre just another gear envy guy, with the opinion "I dont have it, so why should they".

Why does PVP Gear have to be the only "reward" acceptable?

Would not new Aces mounts, titles... access to new crafting recipes, or ships even be a more worthy reward? I've been there got the Tshirt for PVP gear grinding bub.

No, the real truth, and this has been so since PVP has been in MMO's (I know, I was THERE), is that Gear Trump is an emotional thing for some players. Any threat to that tends to spur....

Strawman armies of "QQ" or "You just are a bad that wants free gear" or other such nonsense.

No, I want PVP that's robust, alive and is played for the fun factor, not the nerd rage factor.

so... if there were a cap for expertise then EVERYONE would start wearing x raid pieces and x pvp pieces.

this is a completely moronic idea.

lets put it like this.

im sitting at 672 expertise.

I am in full champ gear with 6 BM pieces.

someone with 300 expertise still has a chance against me especially with a friend.

i worked my *** off in pvp to get where I am.

I pvp every day, not just my dailys.

I do very well on my toon.

With deminishing returns as expertise increases, there is already a cap where it doesn't make sense to stack expertise higher. If I wanted a game where gear didn't matter, I would go play Call of Duty. Since this is a gear based MMO and gear is relatively easy for anyone to obtain, I want BW to keep it just the way it is.

Why do this?

I guarantee you that if you grind up to BM you will no longer complain about this. After all the work it takes to get the gear you will most likely defend the gear after you get it. So just take the lumps and grind for the gear and then enjoy your time in pvp.

so... if there were a cap for expertise then EVERYONE would start wearing x raid pieces and x pvp pieces.

this is a completely moronic idea.

lets put it like this.

im sitting at 672 expertise.

I am in full champ gear with 6 BM pieces.

someone with 300 expertise still has a chance against me especially with a friend.

i worked my *** off in pvp to get where I am.

I pvp every day, not just my dailys.

I do very well on my toon.

You didn't "work", you have more free time then others. It has nothing to do with "work" or what not. Please spare us the insufferable "work"claims. You like being able to faceroll players that haven't spent as much time PVPing as you/grinding gear as you have.

That's the reality.

I'm offering an alternative path, one that will encourage players to participate, reward those that do with NEAT STUFF that requires, ah yes in terms you'd understand "work" while not making PVP a daunting experience.

PVP SHOULD BE FUN. Not a grind. At least not a grind to BE fun.

I guarantee you that if you grind up to BM you will no longer complain about this. After all the work it takes to get the gear you will most likely defend the gear after you get it. So just take the lumps and grind for the gear and then enjoy your time in pvp.

I'll honestly not bother most likely. Grinding is old hat. There are many other things to do.

Shame Bioware failed here in rewarding the lesser skilled players with a grind for gear. Could have been something special.

Almost 600 expertise here and I would agree, you end up being (sorta) equal in the end anyhow so this gear grind is pretty dumb. There is no skill in this game just who can press a couple of buttons faster / has more expertise.