Let us choose options for autocompletes

LorcaGneditch

When we use Outlander char token we can choose which spec and even which crafting skills we'd like to see them have and this is great.

But could we use same type checklist to choose options for autocomplete? (It can be a Legacy perk for high-lvl Legacies, at least)? Like, kill Vette or Torian, ally with Pub or Imp on Iokath...

Maybe even "romance This Char".

It would give much more leevay for character creation and roleplaying, as the "now you were a mindless killer/a saint" beginning is...not ideal to say the least.

When we use Outlander char token we can choose which spec and even which crafting skills we'd like to see them have and this is great.

The only choice we get on crew skills is that Jedi/Sith get Synthweaving and its support skills, while gun classes get Armormech and its support skills.

But could we use same type checklist to choose options for autocomplete? (It can be a Legacy perk for high-lvl Legacies, at least)? Like, kill Vette or Torian, ally with Pub or Imp on Iokath...

Maybe even "romance This Char".

It would give much more leevay for character creation and roleplaying, as the "now you were a mindless killer/a saint" beginning is...not ideal to say the least.

About the only option I can see them making is to change autocomplete to be based on your Light/Dark alignment choice rather than your faction. (And, as an accessory change, to allow the alignment choice to be what we want for a new Outlander token character.)(1)

From what I recall, BioWare seems to take the view that they have given you a tool to craft your character the way you want it, called playing from level 1 and making the detailed choices yourself. I'm inclined to agree - my take on it is that if you care so little about your character's development that you are prepared to skip over large chunks of development opportunity, why do you care enough to bother wading through an endless list of "this or that" checkboxes...(2)

Overall, I think that what they've built is not perfect (it could be improved by following our alignment selection rather than our faction), but it's a reasonable compromise.

(1) It isn't necessary on a new from-1 character because you can change your alignment selection before you ever get to earn any points, and a from-1 character doesn't have anything to autocomplete.

(2) An endless list because there's another exercise that would cause stress: which choices go in the list? Some are obvious (blow/save the Spire, leave/save the reactor, kill/save Senya, etc.) while others are less obvious, and others even less. Where do you draw the line? What's the balance between having a list of manageable size and having enough choices? Is it even possible to have enough without also having too many? What about the ones that depend on others? (If you save the reactor and the Spire, you never see the option to kill Koth, for example. How would the chooser handle that for a character that skips straight past KotFE/ET to JUS?)

None of it's insoluble, except perhaps the "can't be enough without also being too many" part.

You see, either you expect all players who want a good char to play from the very beginning--or you give them a chance to begin wherever they want.

What you say is, basically, those who use Outlander tokens are not really creating characters because they have less interest for Vanilla, ditto for those who wanna skip KotFE/ET and go straight into Iokath or even Ossus. Which is...not something I'd advise anyone to say, but you be you.

As for "endless" - nah. The list that influences anything in later game comprises:

- romance Theron/Lana/Koth (and I hate it is only for those who does ch.9 of our immensely boring kotfe)

- Spire (blow up/not blow up)

- companions to kill or spare

Everything else really has no bearing on the plot (though it can be adjusted for alignment which was my earlier idea).

Those who want to experience a certain part of the game first have their right to do it with a normally rounded char, I think.