How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

That's how you become a contender lol

LoL... Your task bar config is nearly the same as mine, 4 high... I'm lucky though as I have 3 screens so I can put those other 2 on the other monitor, out of the way...

Only thing is it's not gearing related ;)

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone done any bolster gearing testing yet?

I was busy doing the story yesterday all the way to 65... I only did 2 pvp matches at 65, in both, there was a huge difference in stats from my old ranked gear... I still had 2018 expertise, but about 10k less health than anyone else... Seems it's not bolstering as high as it used too... But actually making you upgrade as it should

Does anyone know what LvL pve Armor is the sweet point?... 180-204?

Anyone done any bolster gearing testing yet?

I was busy doing the story yesterday all the way to 65... I only did 2 pvp matches at 65, in both, there was a huge difference in stats from my old ranked gear... I still had 2018 expertise, but about 10k less health than anyone else... Seems it's not bolstering as high as it used too... But actually making you upgrade as it should

Does anyone know what LvL pve Armor is the sweet point?... 180-204?

I to would like to know this... more for lowbies since thats how most of my toons will be leveled to 65

I to would like to know this... more for lowbies since thats how most of my toons will be leveled to 65

Fleet bolsterizer seems to be broken at the moment. On my lvl 40 it bolsters to lvl 60 with only 456 expertise. Tested real bolster by joining a WZ and got 1936 expertise while being bolstered to lvl 65.

*** please note***

The bolster terminal on the fleet is severely broken, making it impossible to test outside of pvp itself....

Any testing will take some time to get through... Sorry for any inconvenience...

I can say that if you have lvl 60 pvp weapons you can get 2018 expertise... Atleast 190 green items bolster well and in some cases better than the 174 pvp counter parts (not weapons)...

If you don't have pvp weapons the max expertise you can achieve is 1936

*** please note***

The bolster terminal on the fleet is severely broken, making it impossible to test outside of pvp itself....

Any testing will take some time to get through... Sorry for any inconvenience...

I can say that if you have lvl 60 pvp weapons you can get 2018 expertise... Atleast 190 green items bolster well and in some cases better than the 174 pvp counter parts (not weapons)...

If you don't have pvp weapons the max expertise you can achieve is 1936

Glad I saw this was sitting on fleet thinking to myself I have done what they say on the forums *** is it not bolstering properly.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been using all greens 190 mods from yavin on everything, lower rating than 190 earing and implants, and have 2 pvp relics, and put expertise crystals on a weapon and offhand equipment, both bellow 190 rating too, but in WZ i get bolstered to 1700ish everytime, i thought it was supposed to give me 1936, or i'm doing something wrong?

I've been using all greens 190 mods from yavin on everything, lower rating than 190 earing and implants, and have 2 pvp relics, and put expertise crystals on a weapon and offhand equipment, both bellow 190 rating too, but in WZ i get bolstered to 1700ish everytime, i thought it was supposed to give me 1936, or i'm doing something wrong?

Likely. If you are using a PVE MH/OH and add expertise crystals, you are gimping yourself. The 1936 max for all PVE gear is (not coincidentally) 2018 - (2x41) -- the value of two expertise crystals. I had 1936 using the default 188 free-60 gear, added expertise crystals to see if it would bring me to 2018, and it dropped me similarly to what you are seeing.

Since Fleet Bolsterizer is broken, I had to test this out in a live warzone. Fortunately (for me and my teammates), I expected this behavior so tested using crystals from my collections and swapped PVE ones in back before the match started. :)

Edited by eartharioch

When ever you mix expertise with non expertise items in the same shell, bolster sees that there is expertise already in that item, so it doesn't bolster it with expertise and it also does bolster the other stats properly.

Simply put, don't ever mix PVE and PVP items in the same Armor or Weapon shells.

No expertise crystals in PVE weapons

No expertise mods/enhancements in with PVE mods/enhancements

When ever you mix expertise with non expertise items in the same shell, bolster sees that there is expertise already in that item, so it doesn't bolster it with expertise and it also does bolster the other stats properly.

Simply put, don't ever mix PVE and PVP items in the same Armor or Weapon shells.

No expertise crystals in PVE weapons

No expertise mods/enhancements in with PVE mods/enhancements

Is there a level threshold on augments?

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a level threshold on augments?

Any augs equipped don't count towards expertise and their stats are NOT bolstered. Tested it extensively. So that means goodbye to lowbie augs if you ever pvp.

Not having one on the other hand counts as having a fantom blue fortitude MK-8 aug (haven't played in weeks, can't remember the bonuses, something like +50 end +30 power)

So augs are not stat-bolstered but bolster gives you blue max level fortitude augs if you have nothing equipped.

Edited by BenduKundalini

• 5 weeks later...
As a Vet coming back to the game thank you for the tips!

i am hear to second that ...i was confused as hell till i read this ...thank you so dam much ..woot!!!!:p I do have one final question so just to be clear what is the magic number for Pve gear? nothing over 192?

Edited by WildWeasal

• 2 weeks later...
i am hear to second that ...i was confused as hell till i read this ...thank you so dam much ..woot!!!!:p I do have one final question so just to be clear what is the magic number for Pve gear? nothing over 192?

162 was the sweet spot in 3.x. That was the initial reward gear for the FA arc.

My guess is that it is 190; because that is the insta-60 starter gear. With 164 being entry into level 60 PvP in 3.0, and 204 being now the blue 200s might be the sweet spot.

I'd like a firm answer on this too. I have truck loads of old 172-198 suits in legacy shells. I'll have a look and report back.

Edited by ekwalizer

• 1 month later...
Funny thing. Something tells me that augmented 208 gear is less effective not auged 204 :/ Anyway It aint feels like bother with gear is so big deal. With the tiny amount of wz comms you need, bw coukd alredy remove that ugly bolster out of 65lvl pvp. It allways was broken. Edited by Rouakh

• 1 month later...
Funny thing. Something tells me that augmented 208 gear is less effective not auged 204 :/ Anyway It aint feels like bother with gear is so big deal. With the tiny amount of wz comms you need, bw coukd alredy remove that ugly bolster out of 65lvl pvp. It allways was broken.

You certainly lose on hit points if you equip augs without endurance on it, given that no augs = default fantom blue fortitude 40s (end + power)

As for me I carried out an experiment on two servers and it failed so hard.

Created chars called "Bestbolster pvpstuff" and sold 12 pages of 190 greens on the GTN. That's a lot of work, selling for less than the proposed price of 13k at 9999 credits... 2% of it doesn't return to me unsold, tops. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...