Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

Being a good enough player to marginalize a broken aspect of the game does not fix it.

I have been hard ccd for ten and more seconds with a full bar multiple times.

I have played since beta, this has always been a problem whether it is server client or display it is a *********** real issue and I'm sick of people who fail to notice it thinking regurgitating the official info on it somehow makes it Working as intended.

It.

Is

Broken.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Activity: 03.30.2012 04:00 AM

I'm sure OP will be along any minute to discuss.

Sad....I wonder how many others in this thread no longer play. I'm guessing the vast majority of them.

Resolve may work as Bioware intends, but I will maintain that anything as misunderstood as Resolve and what it effects is most definitely "broken". CC's in this game have been out of control since beta and Bioware doesn't seem to give a ****. The one change they did make to it, actually made it WORSE...which is shocking to me that they could manage that.

Sad....I wonder how many others in this thread no longer play. I'm guessing the vast majority of them.

Resolve may work as Bioware intends, but I will maintain that anything as misunderstood as Resolve and what it effects is most definitely "broken". CC's in this game have been out of control since beta and Bioware doesn't seem to give a ****. The one change they did make to it, actually made it WORSE...which is shocking to me that they could manage that.

Haha those old necros... I'm glad there are still folks who care enough to post guides and so forth but it's a shame to see that so many others who did checked out.

I get the rationale that went with the resolve change but didn't agree with it. Leave a bar for people to improve to, not lower the bar/dumb it down. CC's sacred and so is mass/casual appeal so I guess that was the easy and sensible fix (from a certain point of view).

Edited by Joesixxpack

Ya..gotta say, it was a bit of a bummer thumbing back through these pages and revisiting some of the peeps that were around back in the day.

Seriously dude, I have never had a single issue with resolve, it works the exact same for every single person and it doesn't work at all like you described.

Also please stop using google for finding threads.

You don't PvP much, do you? Because in PvP it does not work.

You don't PvP much, do you? Because in PvP it does not work.

Resolve is functioning exactly as it's intended. The design might be bad but it's working according to how BW designed it. Since we are dusting off old threads here is one of mine explaining resolve. If you are experiencing something different than what I have explained here please feel free to post your evidence and explain what happened.

It's baffling how people still don't understand resolve.

With a white bar:

- You are immune from controlling effects.

- Controlling effects are effects in which you lose control of your character. These effects are stuns, mezzes (not the same as a stun, this is important), pulls, pushes and knockdowns.

- Roots and slows are not controlling effects. You can still pop defensive CD's, cleanse them if you have such an ability, use a medpack/adrenal, and use all of you non movement based abilities (no leaps, untalented force speed etc).

- A mezz, shorthand for mesmerize, is a soft stun or one that can be broken on damage. Don't use your breaker for this unless you must stop a cap/save a cap etc. Examples of these are Low Slash, Mind Maze, Concussive Round/Missile, Force Lift and Flashbang.

- There are 2 second stuns that you also shouldn't use a breaker for like Neural Surge, Spinning Kick, Spike and talented Hidden Strike/Shoot First(?) (mostly the knockdowns).

- Only use your breaker for on a white bar. If you use it before you are going to be stunned again (situation dictates, people will still be mad if you didn't stop a cap because you didn't wanna waste your breaker)

- You receive 200 resolve per second of hard stun and 100 resolve per second of mezz. When reach 1000 resolve you will have a white bar. You will also receive some bonus resolve. You will receive a bonus amount resolve equal to half the value of the ability that made you immune. For example a hard 4 stun would give you 800 resolve normally. If a hard stun was to make you immune you would receive an additional 400 resolve as a bonus.

- Resolve drains at 25 resolve per second normally and 100 resolve per second while white barred. Resolve will not begin to drain until the effect that gave you immunity has ended.

- Since 1.4 you only gain resolve for the amount of time controlled as opposed to total of overlapping abilities. For example pre 1.4 if you were hit with Debilitate and Electrocute at a 2 second interval you would have gained 2000 resolve (1600 from the stuns plus a 400 resolve bonus). Now in the same situation since there was 2 seconds of overlap meaning that you were only stunned for 6 seconds you would gain 1600 resolve (1200 form the stuns and 400 bonus).

- The problem with resolve in 1.4 wasn't the new system it was bubble stun. It was changed form a 3 sec mezz that awarded 300 resolve (as it should) to a 3 sec hard stun that still awarded 300 resolve when it should have awarded 600. Combined with the fact it could be cast on every team member, was an AoE and could be clicked off even if the target was stunned it led to "turn based" PvP.

Now that we all have a better understanding of resolve we can see there really isn't so much wrong with it. I think it could use a few tweaks but as whole it's not so bad. I think an improvement that could be made is how when it drains. IT should stop draining when you die and it shouldn't start until you are out of the spawn for 10 seconds or enter combat whichever comes first. This way you aren't watching your resolve drain away in the spawn.

The reason we need roots and slows to remain off of resolve is tanks(especially Vanguards and Guardians) would be unstoppable goal scorers in Huttball with full resolve. They can both leap and if you had no way to stop that or stun them if they have a healer on their team (glob help you if they have one of each and 2 scoundrels healing them). If they can't be rooted if they are slowed they can just leap where ever they need to go.

TL;DR: Is resolve perfect? No it's not, but I believe it only needs some tweaks not a complete over haul (and the always asked for "one stun = 20-30 seconds of immunity" is preposterous). However the removal of bubble should see some improvements.

Resolve is functioning exactly as it's intended. The design might be bad but it's working according to how BW designed it. Since we are dusting off old threads here is one of mine explaining resolve. If you are experiencing something different than what I have explained here please feel free to post your evidence and explain what happened.

" With a white bar:

- You are immune from controlling effects."

No you are not and that's the proof the resolve does not work.

" With a white bar:

How are you not? Do you have any evidence to contradict my statement or is it broken because you say so? Also did you read the next part that explains what the system considers controlling effects?

" With a white bar:

Refer to rely 533, Cptbeers explains the difference between controlling effects and snares.

Edited by J_McSkill

How are you not? Do you have any evidence to contradict my statement or is it broken because you say so? Also did you read the next part that explains what the system considers controlling effects?

As Shakespeare said "Rose is a rose by any other name."

Cool, not relevant at all but it's good see people referencing Willy Shakespeare.

If you don't understand how something is working how can you say that it's not working right?

And another world famous poet once said - "Every rose has its thorn".

PvP's "thorn" is Resolve.

PS...going to see Bret Michaels tonight so I had to use that.

Edited by TUXs

And another world famous poet once said - "Every rose has its thorn".

PvP's "thorn" is Resolve.

PS...going to see Bret Michaels tonight so I had to use that.

Don't wave the lighter near any big hair chicks (or guys). :: pffwoom ::

Edited by Joesixxpack

• 1 year later...

I don't want to get into the *****fest going on here, but wanted to say thank you for the op. I hate not having one resource to refer to when trying to learn about pvp-ing and how to make the most of my class, this post helps me understand the resolve issue more.

Stuns, mezzes and roots (oh my).