How to Fix Bolster for PvP

kcon

The Problem:

Now I'm all for promoting new players to PvP, but the bolster system is broken and has been for a long time. So in every match you have people queuing with no PvP gear and no understanding of how bolster works. So most of these players have about 1000-1200 expertise because this is what bolster gives them when they wear PvE gear. So instead of their damage reduction against other players being 35%, they are only getting 25%, and their damage boost to other players instead of 55% is only about 35%. So if you are hitting a target with full expertise and they have a 10% damage reduction over you and your damage is being gimped 20% percent. That enemy player essentially gets a constant 30% damage cool down with 100% up time. But hey, the added 3% stat gain from your 216 rated PvE gear should off set that right?

The Solution:

If someone loads into a PvP match with PvE gear equipped in a slot. The item rating for that piece should be reduced to 200 rating and they should be granted full expertise for that equipment slot. This would ensure that when you load into PvP that you have full expertise and can actually be a asset for your team. Bioware has already proven that they can do this with level sync on all the low level planets. They just need to implement it for PvP.

I'm not sure because I'm newbish at pvp gearing, but isn't that what bolster already does? I only play regs, and up to whatever the threshold was for bolster before 4.0, as long as I had all slots filled I got the 2018 expertise.

I'm confused now, though, because the gear I have is below the new threshold for 4.0, yet the same gear only bolsters to 19something.

I would prefer they simplify the whole thing, though, and eliminate the thresholds altogether, and have the only requirement be that you have every slot filled. Maybe take it a step further and downgrade X% for gear that is missing something, like open crystal or armor slots (but as long as you have SOMETHING in that slot, you're good).

The Problem:

Now I'm all for promoting new players to PvP, but the bolster system is broken and has been for a long time. So in every match you have people queuing with no PvP gear and no understanding of how bolster works. So most of these players have about 1000-1200 expertise because this is what bolster gives them when they wear PvE gear. So instead of their damage reduction against other players being 35%, they are only getting 25%, and their damage boost to other players instead of 55% is only about 35%. So if you are hitting a target with full expertise and they have a 10% damage reduction over you and your damage is being gimped 20% percent. That enemy player essentially gets a constant 30% damage cool down with 100% up time. But hey, the added 3% stat gain from your 216 rated PvE gear should off set that right?

The Solution:

If someone loads into a PvP match with PvE gear equipped in a slot. The item rating for that piece should be reduced to 200 rating and they should be granted full expertise for that equipment slot. This would ensure that when you load into PvP that you have full expertise and can actually be a asset for your team. Bioware has already proven that they can do this with level sync on all the low level planets. They just need to implement it for PvP.

ABSOLUTELY! I've been saying this for years. This would be an instant improvement. A simple check - if not one of the 2 top PvP tiers of gear, bolster to 2018 and whatever the small gap is below it (200 in this case). If it is a new piece, it's an instant boost and should be counted.

So simple that nobody could **** it up.

The Solution:

This is how it works in that other game with 5 million players. Only Bioware knows how to make the bolster more difficult than it should be.

Edited by Darkshadz

My solution is as follows. Have another pvp gear vendor. This vendor will sell gear that has the same amount of expertise but the gear will be rating 200 and will not have set bonuses. You could pay for the gear with credits or basic crystals.

Then you could get rid of the bolster altogether for people at max level. (Or make similar gear available for lower level players and no one gets bolstered)

Would such an idea work?

My solution is as follows. Have another pvp gear vendor. This vendor will sell gear that has the same amount of expertise but the gear will be rating 200 and will not have set bonuses. You could pay for the gear with credits or basic crystals.

Then you could get rid of the bolster altogether for people at max level. (Or make similar gear available for lower level players and no one gets bolstered)

Would such an idea work?

They should re-implement recruit gear. This time, it literally has zero stats (also unmodifiable- including crystals and dyes- and cannot be augmented) and also sells for 0z.

The gear should be FREE!

When you enter a warzone- each piece should give a pre-determined stat (basically a place holder for bolster). Wearing a full set should bring you to an un-optimized (poorly optimized) 208 rating with max expertise!