Regarding server queues

StephenReid

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reporting here as advised!

Original post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=427337#post427337

We all understand the need for server caps. Those who dont haven't played an MMO at launch before, but please at the very least, add some sort of timeout period.

There is nothing more frustrating that being disconnected/crashing etc, and finding out that you have to queue for another 3-4 hours (the estimated queue time clearly doesn't work btw :rolleyes:)

I strongly suspect that currently there is no time out (grace) period as I have crashed and reconnected almost instantly only to get shoved to the back of the queue.

If we get a time out period we'll all be a little happier!

3 hour que here lol i dont mind aslong as im not waiting this long on laucnh lol i dont have the time to wait hours to play a game!

better have an alarm clock by your PC... your gonna be doing a lot of sleeping...

the ques are getting worse since they opened pre play to everyone who orders now... order today.. you get in today...

BUT.. lots dont know this so the floodgates are really gonna drop on the 20th!... going to be really sad indeed

Allow Character transfers to specific servers for free. You can manage traffic better that way. Waiting in 2.5hr queues is not fun... Actually it reminds me a lot of waiting in line at PAX Prime for your presentation.... it was hot and miserable but at least there was people to talk to in line.

To the guy above me... they are throttling servers... it will be rough on release but its not gonna be nearly as bad as it is now.

Edited by Newsinz

Thankfully Amazon has a liberal return policy. This is too much. Waited several hours every night and its only getting worse. Queues of an hour have been in all day starting in early morning.

This will be a failed launch if they can't fix it in the next day. Just imagine when its open to everyone... Everyone will just return it if they have to wait 2 hours to even create a character.

That is false, i had 2 hours queus playing WoW, In TBC, where ppl actually liked to play it. (remenber 2500+ queues and over 2 hours of waiting)

this was fixed... way early in the game... and there were almost no ques at all until prime time (8pm est - 10 pm est) this is at 2-3 pm in the afternoon...

something has to be set wrong... simple as that

increase the cap.. buy new servers.. whatever it takes

That was what beta was for.. amirite?

They knew the amount of preorders BEFORE the "launch" of pre-play and yet.. every single server is FULL with hours on hours of que? Something is wrong.. server settings.. client settings .. something... If it wasnt then the EU servers would be doing this too.. and i have YET to see a single EU server over moderate.

Sure something might be wrong betas are controlled environments but once you leave that and go production especially at this scale stuff always goes wrong they have to figure out what is wrong that is the hard part with systems this complex.

Odds are from what I have heard it is software not hardware issues.

I don't have a queue on my server but I might soon just give them time to work out the kinks it is impossible to predict what will happen even with huge beta stress tests it is a fact of the server world.

started loggin at 17.56 CET

time is now 22.10 CET

In queue position 401 from 2015

As much as i love the game, i dont think its reasonable for normal working class people to have to wait so long to play the game, I actually wait longer than i play.

Because i dont have to time to play once i get online.

IF i happen to dissconnect i wont even bother logg in because by the time in logged in to the game im already planning to go to sleep so i can work in the morning.

i just think its really a shame.

A smart idea that many so well has presented is to etc. create a new server assing a few guilds form a over populated server such as mine PLanet of freedon nadd and have them have the option to move there. Or just let people guild migrate from one server to another.

Because aslong as the guild in on the server the more likley they wont change and the balance on the server wont be in order and queue times will be high not to mention the latency.

then this is a first.. ive been watching em for days and according to the server status page, they are never under heavy .. only standard and light

Your telling that to someone that has spent the last 3 hours queueing, and moved 300 places out of 900....:mad:

Have a look at them now, if you don't believe me, this is now peek time Europe...?? :confused:

Why are there ques??? SWTOR uses instances in-game, so in that case ques should never happen. Ever hear of EVE online? They have 1 server for 300,000 players, they group systems into server nodes. SWTOR uses instances that can easily work like nodes in EVE meaning if you wanted you could have 1 server with 10000 instances.

On a whole other note i hate instancing cities, i dont mind instancing some quest/dungeons/flashpoints But really what Bioware is doing is going cheap on server tech and using instancing as a cruch. These ques are signs of that as well. I bet their ROI is going to be epic for the first 6 months. Becuase if there are still ques at that point a lot of poeple will stop playing. Hell only reason im on forums is becuase of the damm que.

I work in the business software industry and like this game we do stress tests before launching a new system, then we scale the system accordingly before release, for the maximum usage periods.

They knew exactly how many people a server could hold.

They knew how many people they were letting on at a time.

Therefore there is no excuse for allowing more people to join a server than it can accomodate at maximum load.

If there were queues at all on the systems we build I'd get fired.

There is no excuse.

I was in at the launch of LOTRO, Champions and Star Trek. I have played a number of other MMO's. I have NEVER had to queue.

I don't care if Blizzard messed up and had queues, someone elses failure does not excuse theirs. if anything it should be an abject lesson on what not to do.

And this is when they know how many players they are letting in and to which server.

The answer is simple, when a server is at capacity don't let more people join it.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

If i'm assigned to a server "The Swiftsure" with my guild i should not be on the wrong end of a 4 hour queue being 1372 in line.

Totally unacceptable and i won't pay for it.

Edited by Arll

Darth Vader: You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule.

Moff Jerjerrod: I assure you, Lord Vader. Devs are working as fast as they can.

Darth Vader: Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.

Moff Jerjerrod: I tell you, these servers will be operational as planned.

Darth Vader: The emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.

Moff Jerjerrod: But, he asks the impossible. I need more servers

Darth Vader: Then perhaps you can tell him when he arrives.

Moff Jerjerrod: The Emperor's coming here?

Darth Vader: That is correct, Commander. And, he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.

Moff Jerjerrod: We shall double our efforts!

Darth Vader: I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.

Communicator Message: Emperors shuttle here, we have been placed in waiting queue estimated landing Time 5 Hours ;)

Edited by Skarus

Thanks for the very noncommittal answer there boss. We KNOW how it works when servers get full, at least we understand it enough to get the idea of WHY there are queues. What we want to know is what will BE DONE ABOUT IT Edited by Relinthal

While I appreciate that this is finally being addressed from a customer support standpoint, there is no way in a sane universe that this would be considered anywhere close to acceptable.

I understand that this is for entertainment purposes and isn't the end of the world but unless people begin to speak out, this is just going to be the status quo.

I hold the Star Wars properties near and dear to my heart. After seeing the gigantic mess that Sony made of them I was hesitant when I heard there was another MMO in the works. When I heard it was Bioware, my heart soared. Their attention to detail and story, and creative, artistic, and immersive content is unmatched. My favorite characters were in good hands.

Then when I heard EA was at the helm I died a little inside. Their bullying tactics coupled with their lack of care for the customer is sure to destroy this game. When I played in the beta I had high hopes but watching this fiasco....well....it's just classic EA.

When someone pays $150 dollars and sits and waits for 6 long months to see the fruit of that only to have their fun squashed by long queue times is cruel at best. I'm not a hard core gamer. I have a wife, a kid, a job, and a life that take up most of my time. I typically only play one game at a time and I have thrown myself into this. But the complaints that others have made to wait their 2 hours only to be dropped and then have to wait another 2 hours is unreal. How is this even REMOTELY considered acceptable. People (mostly trolls) are posting on the forums "Stop QQing about the queues. It's launch." Honestly, please shut up. I don't care if it's launch. I've paid for the game, I've waited patiently through the release delays, and this is wrong. I've been involved in SEVERAL large MMO launches in the past and NONE of this ever occurred. 20, 30 minutes? Maybe. But it was rare. With the SW: Galaxies launch, there were no queues, there were none in Age of Conan, and even none in the server I was on in World of Warcraft. Now argue that those games (with the obvious exception of WoW) didn't have a huge player base all you like. But they handled the load. This is poorly managed. With this being as bad as it is now, I can only imagine the stampede on the 20th, and the noise is only going to get louder.

Please don't kill this game because of stupid things like queues. It has TONS of potential. Finally posting after 3 solid days of this and merely saying "We're looking at it." is wrong. The time for looking at it was in beta, and stress tests. The time for action is now.

How long do you think the cable companies would be in business if you paid for your cable box, and your service, and then had to wait in a queue to watch your favorite shows. What about if you needed to make a phone call and after dialing the number you received a recording that said "You are 800 in the queue. Approximate wait time to place your call is 3 hours 45 minutes". Could you imagine? Could you imagine getting a dropped call 5 minutes into the conversation and having to dial back and wait again? No. Because it's insanity. This is a product who's sole purpose is to provide a hosted service for playing a game they produced. If this were merely the online component of a single player game, maybe it'd be ok. But this is ALL THIS PRODUCT DOES. And it cannot do it effectively. It is broken. Merely saying "we're looking into it" after nearly a week of complaints is horrible.

Do better.

Trevor Griffin

Orlando, Florida.

I had about 2 hours time to play today, that was too short time to get in Peragus Mining Facility (EU). Too bad our guild is in it, so going other server isnt option.

I really hope this get fixed asap. If not, my CE will stay on box, Im not going to pay for queuing. :S

So I waited through my queue, about 25 minutes. Then I get in the game, start questing about 45 minutes, and server disconnects. Now I am in a 30 minute queue to get back in. I was only going to play for an hour and a half. Now I am standing in the middle of no where, not getting rest.

I understand queues, but you need to implement a system to bypass them if you JUST got disconnected. I can deal with 1 queue. 2 queues is going to leave groups stranded. Friends aren't going to wait 30min or more for their group mate to get back from a server disconnect. Plus even when solo double queues kills any gaming session.

Blizzard has under 10 mil subscribers with half the servers and I never had to wait in a que for hours. Need to invest in some better servers

well... blizzards "10 million subs" have dwindled a lil..

at the launch of cata, they lost the china servers and 6 million subs that day...

they have lost another 300,000, 600,000 and 300,000 in the last 3 quarterly reports and im guessing they will lose a few million to this game .. or already have..

they did get the china servers back up in June... but.. im guessing not many went back to wow.. so you can add maybe 1-2 million back there..

The point though is.. wow still has 3-4 million active subs, 3 expansion packs and the game runs like a dream for me.. but here.. less than 1 million is crashing all the servers and the game runs like crap (even though im way over specs)

sooo... whats the deal?

wrong settings on servers?

not enough servers?

bad code added since beta?

no one knows..

any updates? just this one.. so people are raging trying to find out why this is turning out so bad.. can you blame them?

Ok, 2 hours 20 mins and now at position 10 in the queue on a PvE server (Red Eclipse EU).

Totally unacceptable. It doesn't matter that its a new game. It doesn't matter that we are in early game access. And all these guys saying chill out, relax its to be expected, blah, blah, blah.... please go away.

30 mins tops is okay to wait in the queue on a new MMO so that login servers are not overwhelemed. 2 hours and 20 mins (and probaly more for some players) is totally unacceptable. This is making BW's release a total fiasco.

Well i have now gone from 1503 tonight to 973 in 2hours

less than 600 places in all this time

totally unacceptable and unappreciated

If we had an apology (we had half of one) and an explanation of actions being made to rectify this issues then i would be a bit happier

Just a standard 'we are aware' doesnt make people want to spend money on this game. A 'omg we are so sorry we didnt think you would love this game so much and the amount playing is far greater than expected' might get a few people to calm down and think about staying

Good Luck BW/EA..look like so far you will need it!!

Why are there ques??? SWTOR uses instances in-game, so in that case ques should never happen. Ever hear of EVE online? They have 1 server for 300,000 players, they group systems into server nodes. SWTOR uses instances that can easily work like nodes in EVE meaning if you wanted you could have 1 server with 10000 instances.

On a whole other note i hate instancing cities, i dont mind instancing some quest/dungeons/flashpoints But really what Bioware is doing is going cheap on server tech and using instancing as a cruch. These ques are signs of that as well. I bet their ROI is going to be epic for the first 6 months. Becuase if there are still ques at that point a lot of poeple will stop playing. Hell only reason im on forums is becuase of the damm que.

False learn before you speak eve uses what is called a cluster they have hundreds of server hooked together with software that turns it into one server where each blade is a node on the virtual cluster.