What's the difference between good and bad DPS

ekimmak

Like the title suggests.

I've played pretty much every advanced class now. Some as DPS, some as tanks, some as healing, but something I noticed when working on my Assasin is that she is very good at butchering stuff, both PVE and PVP wise. In PVP she regularly gets the enemy butchering medals, and I've noticed she has the easiest time getting that 2.5K hit medal. My sentinel, despite trying his best, never manages to get reliable high damage hits, but scores excellent maintained damage, and has a pretty good time in PVE no matter which companion he teams with. I recently tried the Merc Unique DPS tree, however, and it felt lackluster. She goes all out, and she overheats. Managing her heat efficiently often involves hitting rapid shots every third turn, and her best attack doesn't seem that powerful.

Anyway, those are my observations. But I actually don't know anything about what would be considered powerful, and what would be considered terrible.

So, my question is this: What do you consider to be the difference between good DPS, and bad DPS?

Bad dps doesn't use the right rotation. Bad dps doesn't use CC's effectively. Bad dps isn't situationally aware of their surroundings. Bad dps doesn't focus targets. To name a few.

Situational awareness is the main factor, I think. One can have a perfect tunnel-vision rotation, yet no ability to track the flow of the encounter. I'll take the guy who CCs, interrupts and dodges enemy fire over the guy who tooooootally rips damage meters on the training dummy.

Situational Awareness is the biggest thing. Anyone can mash the attack button. A good DPS will know when to break of the main target and get the adds, when to interrupt (unless you are a commando), pop a healing proc (Sentinel Watchman FTW), when to stay in the fire and knowing when to run out (there are times when you need to stay in). Having never done an MMO before I am glad I started a Sentinel first. I learned a lot about DPSing. Its harder then it looks.

Good dps is the one the boss targets if the tank dies.

Bad dps is the last one left alive after a wipe.

Sure there's CC, staying alive, not standing in fire, etc, but in order to actually top the charts throughtout the fight, you have to stay alive. If you still don't know the difference, get your group to setup MOX dps parser. That should tell you whos on top and whos on the bottom of the list.

If you are hitting enrage timers, blame the people at the bottom of the list.

bad dps vote democrat.

i have yet to see good dps.

I have yet to see any good republicans.

Good dps is the one the boss targets if the tank dies.

Bad dps is the last one left alive after a wipe.

Sure there's CC, staying alive, not standing in fire, etc, but in order to actually top the charts throughtout the fight, you have to stay alive. If you still don't know the difference, get your group to setup MOX dps parser. That should tell you whos on top and whos on the bottom of the list.

If you are hitting enrage timers, blame the people at the bottom of the list.

I have yet to see any good republicans.

Dps isn't always about whose on top. As long as people aren't really dragging behind compared to others, the other factors play more importance, unless it's a straight up dps race type of encounter. Really, it's about the complete package, but some fights require more of one thing compared to another.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, that the last dps left alive doesn't mean he did the lowest amount. He could have easily used an aggro dump at the right time.

Edited by Dissentus

Dps isn't always about whose on top. As long as people aren't really dragging behind compared to others, the other factors play more importance, unless it's a straight up dps race type of encounter. Really, it's about the complete package, but some fights require more of one thing compared to another.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, that the last dps left alive doesn't mean he did the lowest amount. He could have easily used an aggro dump at the right time.

Well generally people who are on the top of the meters know what they are doing. If you are standing in fire, chances are you will have to self heal or blow some CDs which could cost you valuable seconds to lay on more dps on the boss. If you straight up neglect mechanics of a fight, that would lead to your death or a wipe of the raid. So when I'm saying you are topping the charts, it is assuming you are following the mechanics of the fight.

If you are referring to interrupts or CC's, my sorc has those as instant abilities. It's now hard to CC the cats in Bone thrasher or interrupt Sorno's full auto ability. I think the only fights where I don't compete are the puzzle fights generally as it's simply solving the puzzle vs killing anything (save the last part of EC).

Even with aggro dumps, if the tank goes down the boss beelines it to me. You should assume the healers don't generate enough threat to pass the dps. All factors equal, all dps should be using their aggro dump at the appropriate times or on cd. That still leaves who generates more damage on the table as the one next on the aggro list. Any of the stealth dps classes that can truly do an aggro reset aren't pulling enough dps on the meters atm to be a factor.

Every DPS knows how to use their rotation.

Good DPS first and foremost must be a good player in general. As prior mentioned, no one needs a player who can't avoid fire in an instance. If the user doesn't understand the basics of the game, the player will not do well regardless of chosen role.

The difference between Good & Bad DPS is that Good DPS players know how to use their dps to provide utility to the rest of the team. Good dps players also remember to apply their class to its fullest. For example, a good dps assassin in PvP will use Mind Control and Mass Mind Control, regardless of spec, to reduce damage applied to teammates. Many AoE abilities can be used creatively as well. Good dps players go beyond merely applying their damage to simply "make it dead."

A good dps not only can avoid standing in things, top the meters, etc, but also has the capacity to learn and understand a mistake after the first time and preventing it from happening. Every dps will make a mistake in their career. This is fact. No one is perfect. The bad dps will blame the world, and then will continue to screw up every time. The good dps will ask a question if they don't understand, and then will get it right, or improve significantly (after all, its called PROGRESSION, which by definition is gradual, not instant). Every once in a while you will get the guy who can "do it all." Great. Make him a staple. But don't pin all your hopes and dreams on him.

Lastly of all, a good dps knows humility. A bad dps brags about being able to "do blah blah blah," and usually has someone tell him to shut his mouth (in unkind words). A good dps will mention it to himself and his friends, but not use it as an excuse (i.e. "Well I don't have to avoid the fire, because my e-peen is longer.")

I hope I've answered your question.

Lastly of all, a good dps knows humility. A bad dps brags about being able to "do blah blah blah," and usually has someone tell him to shut his mouth (in unkind words). A good dps will mention it to himself and his friends, but not use it as an excuse (i.e. "Well I don't have to avoid the fire, because my e-peen is longer.")

Yeah I would def agree with this. Good dps would only refer to the meters if they were given a hard time in an ops group or whatnot. Generally bad PLAYERS would flaunt their dps meters but that doesn't automatically discount them as bad dps.

There is a difference between a good dps and a good player. Good dps pulls good numbers and generally stays safe most of the fight. Good players learn to adapt to the situation and can fill the role of other-than-dps in that crutch situation.

I play a dps sorc as my main, but have a ton of utility when needed. I've pulled people of our fire using my pull ally ability. I've bubbled people that were low in health when that AoE was about to hit. I've combat res'ed people when the healers were busy with the tanks. I even toss our heals from time to time situation permitted (think Soa platforms). Good players know how to adapt and switch targets in the event bosses need to go down at the same time and there's more than 5% difference between the two. Good players will spot heal the tank in burst situations in the event a healer is being combat res'ed. Good players would lead Soa under the pylon if the tank gets mind trapped. Good players will use their class's utility to save the raid attempt in emergency situations.

This. I was actually coming to this forum to see if I was the only healer/tank that felt this way. Nice to see I am not alone. A group of 6, 4 elites and my dpsers, and tank, mind you, do no cc and jump to 3 different targets.....

After the 2nd pull done the exact same way....I left them all to die and went and did something else.

If you play mindlessly, you will be treated as such. As healer, it isn't my job to cure cluelessness.

you waited for the 2nd pull?

Good Dps - Follows directions well. Never pulls aggro. Has situational awareness. Has learned the fight. Tops the chart while doing all this.

Bad Dps - No idea whats going on/ Hasn't learned the fight. Pulls aggro then apologizes for being awesome.

Dies in the Fire and then blames the healer.

Use the right rotation, minimalize movement (aka downtime) and optimize cooldowns (including Bloodthirst).

Optimize gear, check up on diminishing return curves, be informed about patch notes that concern your class.

Use CC effectively with no need to be told what to CC ... it just happens without second thought.

Be situationally awarene of your surroundings.

Respect the encounter mechanics and use them to you and your teams advantage.

Focus the right targets first.

Knowing what the right target is without being told.

Minimize incoming damage not only by movement but also through smart timing of defensive cooldowns.

Knowing the fight without needing an explenation ... in fact you're the one doing the explaining if anything.

Communicate important things and shut up about the rest while the encounter is ongoing.

Try to be even in DPS with everyone else ... this includes doing your best and helping others polishing their stats and rotations.

Be aware that you are a part of a team. Not you and your damage kill the boss it's the raid as a unit.

Never ever initially pull unless it's a very specific part of the encounter.

This is what it takes to be a good DPS.

The following is what it takes to be a outstanding DPS:

Be willing to reroll if the developer breaks your class. (I hope this doesn't happen in SW:ToR, but as an ex-WoW player I'm telling you this is a point worth consideration.)

You have to be able to wipe repeatedly and still concentrate throughout the raid - if the planned duration is 2 hours do it for 2 hours, if it's 8 hours then you'll be concentrated for 8 hours. If this doesn't fit your playstyle adress it or look for another raid. Without focus there is no gain no matter how hardcore of a raider you are.

Many people will fail at the last point due to not wanting to dedicate that amount of time to a game, but a lot of people are out there playing a lot and not being able to fulfill that criteria.

• 2 weeks later...
A good dps is simple. They stack the right stats, use the right rotation or priority list, know the fight mechanics and follow them, and use their non-dps abilities when needed instead of waiting on someone else to pick up their slack. i.e. interrupts, defensive, cc, stuns, ect. Being a good dps is simple as hell, the bad ones are either lazy, not paying attention, or just plain don't know their class or the fight.

My main in every MMO I have ever played has been DPS, and I pride myself on how well I do my job in groups. The one thing as a raid leader I looked for in every tank, healer, and DPS player is whether or not I could count on them. It's as simple as that. Can I count on you to do your job?

Your job as a DPS is to be situationally aware. Anyone can go to a website to perfect their DPS rotation/priority list, but can you interrupt whether I call for it or not? Will you pop your cooldowns at the right time? Will you get out of hazardous zones? Will you sacrifice your DPS to keep yourself (or others) alive? Can you do all of this while maintaining enough DPS to prevent an enrage? Can you learn from your mistakes and adjust? Are you willing to play for the benefit of the team over the benefit to yourself?

It takes skill to be a good DPS player. It takes skill and selflessness to be a great one.

My main in every MMO I have ever played has been DPS, and I pride myself on how well I do my job in groups. The one thing as a raid leader I looked for in every tank, healer, and DPS player is whether or not I could count on them. It's as simple as that. Can I count on you to do your job?

Your job as a DPS is to be situationally aware. Anyone can go to a website to perfect their DPS rotation/priority list, but can you interrupt whether I call for it or not? Will you pop your cooldowns at the right time? Will you get out of hazardous zones? Will you sacrifice your DPS to keep yourself (or others) alive? Can you do all of this while maintaining enough DPS to prevent an enrage? Can you learn from your mistakes and adjust? Are you willing to play for the benefit of the team over the benefit to yourself?

It takes skill to be a good DPS player. It takes skill and selflessness to be a great one.

maybe there is hope for the bottom feeders?