How do people have 8 x of the individual 6 piece armor sets already?!

Shinzzun

So I took advice from earlier post where I asked how people got geared all ilevel 306 so fast and did a million Hammers.

Still now I am 306 I see people have multiple of their chairs, some up to 6 or 8 of their different chairs in full 6 piece armor sets for the individual characters.

Now even if I did another 2 million Hammers and disassemble all drops to tech fragments I still won't have enough for 6 x 3000 tech fragments times 8 chars for a very long time.

So, what are people doing to get so many different 6 piece armor sets on 6 to 8 chars ?

I do the weekly on Onderon plus weekly's for flashpoint but even the legendary crates often drop crap or duplicates of what I already have.

So what is the method this time ?

1. Concentrate on getting one and only one character to 306.

2. Melt (reverse engineer) all 270+ gear drops with an item rating below the rating currently in a given slot type.

3. With the frags given to you by reverse engineering, go to fleet and upgrade the lowest-rated item you have

4. Farm flashpoints for more useless gear to melt for frags.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 until you have one character in all 306.

That toon can then be the farmer for all your other toons.

For farming, YOU DON'T CARE that the items in a given slot are not for your class for an alt, or that a given piece doesn't give you the stats you want. All you care about is that it's a 306 piece.

For example, go ahead and give your DPS-class alt character a full set of healer 306 gear (if you started a healer first toward getting 306). You don't care. Just get that item rating up however you must do it. Once that alt is dressed up in 306 gear, go farm flashpoints to get class-appropriate gear.

Don't melt the 306 gear from that point. Toss it in your legacy bank for the next alt. And again... you don't care about the mismatch until you get that alt farming for his own class-appropriate stuff. Just always have a set (doesn't matter set of what) of 306 gear to constantly drop onto the next alt.

Edited by xordevoreaux

The above post mentioned a number of ways of doing it, as well as you did in your original post.

For me, it was easy to get a bunch of sets, and that's simply by running multiple alts through the Onderon Weekly. What I did was run roughly ten alts through the Onderon Weekly, get your, I think it's 500 tech frags for completion, along with the Patrol mission, so that's 600 per character. Run as many alts as you can through that Weekly. Come back the next day and run the Patrol mission again, but only run the six dailies to get completion, you're wasting your time running all ten of the dailies again, especially if you're limited on game time, then move onto to the next character. Repeat until you've run all your alts through it. The other thing to do before switch over to an alt, notice how close you are to hitting the next Renown level, each level is 100 frags, so if you're close, run a daily or two until it levels, then switch over.

Also, pay attention to Conquest objectives. The more objectives you hit, the more Renown you net and ultimately hitting goal, which is more frags. And all that's not counting the gear you can deconstruct.

So I took advice from earlier post where I asked how people got geared all ilevel 306 so fast and did a million Hammers.

Still now I am 306 I see people have multiple of their chairs, some up to 6 or 8 of their different chairs in full 6 piece armor sets for the individual characters.

Now even if I did another 2 million Hammers and disassemble all drops to tech fragments I still won't have enough for 6 x 3000 tech fragments times 8 chars for a very long time.

So, what are people doing to get so many different 6 piece armor sets on 6 to 8 chars ?

I do the weekly on Onderon plus weekly's for flashpoint but even the legendary crates often drop crap or duplicates of what I already have.

So what is the method this time ?

People in large guilds who get enough Alts through and their guild reaches conquest get a large sum of tech frags for each Alt and also a crate with a set bonus or tactical item.

If you have a few Alts do that each week, you will have to buy pieces from the vendor so you don’t go over your tech frag cap of 5000 (which is ridiculously low in my OP).

Anyway, that and deconstructing everything you don’t need, including the stuff from renowned crates for tech frags, let’s you buy a armor pieces more regularly. Then any extra drop prices help with the gearing.

What’s sad is the vendors are supposed to be a secondary way to gear. They weren’t even going to have the set bonus vendors. Now the vendors are the most reliable and fastest way to gear using tech frags you grind because the drops are broken for many classes and they get the wrong set bonuses for their specs.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

1. Concentrate on getting one and only one character to 306.

2. Melt (reverse engineer) all 270+ gear drops with an item rating below the rating currently in a given slot type.

3. With the frags given to you by reverse engineering, go to fleet and upgrade the lowest-rated item you have

4. Farm flashpoints for more useless gear to melt for frags.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 until you have one character in all 306.

That toon can then be the farmer for all your other toons.

For farming, YOU DON'T CARE that the items in a given slot are not for your class for an alt, or that a given piece doesn't give you the stats you want. All you care about is that it's a 306 piece.

For example, go ahead and give your DPS-class alt character a full set of healer 306 gear (if you started a healer first toward getting 306). You don't care. Just get that item rating up however you must do it. Once that alt is dressed up in 306 gear, go farm flashpoints to get class-appropriate gear.

Don't melt the 306 gear from that point. Toss it in your legacy bank for the next alt. And again... you don't care about the mismatch until you get that alt farming for his own class-appropriate stuff. Just always have a set (doesn't matter set of what) of 306 gear to constantly drop onto the next alt.

They are already 306, I think they are asking more on how people already have multiple set bonus Armor sets.

Xor is talking about how you get multiple characters to 306 quickly. But I think you are asking about multiple copies of set boni? Well, remember that set boni are most likely to drop from the last boss of any FP or OP; and they are more likely to drop from harder vs easier content, so master mode FPs over VM.

Those people you are discussing may belong to big conquest guilds and getting multiple toons through conquest. Guilds successfully invading Large planets earn a gold crate that contains more pieces in it than a small planetary target. Even if you just get three toons through conquest, that’s three rolls of the dice for set bonus and tactical gear PLUS three more rolls if your guild makes conquest. IIRC, the medium guild reward conquest box has two set boni and the large I presume has more. I’ve never been in a guild that could make large planets post 6.0.

Also, you miss out on a box but not queuing for all available FPs and OPs. If you are only relying on the individual boss drops from veteran mode hammer station, plus the weekly two boxes (or three, whatever it is) from five veteran nodes, then you are missing out on a lot of die rolls. Also the Mek Sha heroics award a box each.

I believe Max and Seema on their latest episode of The Escape Podcast said it best when they said there are three things you should try to do every day/week on every toon:

1) a daily random Master Mode flashpoint (truly random)

2) your personal conquest goal

3) the Onderon daily patrol for six dailies and the two Mek Sha heroics.

Edited by phalczen

I thought the server limit was 50 character slots? Or are these still the same you had from the merger that let you go over that limit?

Sorry if I didn't understand the OP's original question.

As far as server limit on slots, I had 40-something slots on each server and bought more slots and I'm now sitting at 52 slots per. I want to say the max is 100 per server but I'm not sure.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Sorry if I didn't understand the OP's original question.

As far as server limit on slots, I had 40-something slots on each server and bought more slots and I'm now sitting at 52 slots per. I want to say the max is 100 per server but I'm not sure.

All good.

I’ve got 50 slots, but it says I can’t open more. So I sold the last token I purchased on the GTN.

I used to have more after the mergers, but I had to keep deleting them if I wanted newer Alts.

Maybe they’ve changed the cap you can do now or maybe it was a bug. I’ve not purchased another token to test since I figured 50 must be the limit.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I thought the server limit was 50 character slots? Or are these still the same you had from the merger that let you go over that limit?

I've got 83 on my main account

66 on my secondary

just on star forge

All due to server merges

I can't MAKE anymore unless I buy a TON of slot unlocks

I've got 83 on my main account

66 on my secondary

just on star forge

All due to server merges

I can't MAKE anymore unless I buy a TON of slot unlocks

I was in that predicament too. So I ended up deleting a bunch I never used to let me start a whole new theme for my legacy after I changed its name during the merge. (I like my characters to relate to the legacy name some how and some of the characters were years old).

But then I found out after buying more slots that my limit was 50???, which was disappointing.

AFAIK the hard limit is 100 per server - I know I have something like 58 slots available, though I'm not close to full (I'd be closer if they ever put transfers on sale - I played on several different servers over the years and the last mergers of course put my characters on two different servers).

I was in that predicament too. So I ended up deleting a bunch I never used to let me start a whole new theme for my legacy after I changed its name during the merge. (I like my characters to relate to the legacy name some how and some of the characters were years old).

But then I found out after buying more slots that my limit was 50???, which was disappointing.

When they announced the 2nd round of merges, I actually made a crap ton of low level toons on purpose.

I wanted MOAR!

So, as far as ilvl goes, it's the annoying part. You run hammer station, red reaper or whatever other FP's you want until you get to 306 and then send the spare gear to your alts to boost their ilvl. From that point on they start feeding gear as well for the other alts, etc.

For set bonuses/tacticals, there are some methods. Some people here mentioned the large yield rewards from guilds. That is a thing. It adds up if you have a few alts.

The other methods are the onderon weekly on each character, it rewards 400 tech fragments if i recall correctly. The 2 heroics in Mek-sha are daily and reward 100 tech fragments each. They are fast to complete and you can do them daily on each one of your characters. For example, in my case i do it in my 5 main characters when i want to farm and it gets me 1000 tech fragments a day outside of gear rewards. If i did it every day i would have 7000 tech fragments in a week in addition to the conquest rewards. As i do the Onderon weekly on each too its another 2000.

So, as you can see if you know how to do it it's easy. I actually reached the point where i am vendoring a good part of my drops cause credits are more valuable atm for me than tech fragments. All the non set gold stuff, the stuff with 304 ilvl armoring/hilts/barrels i am vendoring. The green and blue stuff as well as the mods and enhancements i am disintegrating cause they sell for very little.

Of course, things like FP weeklies, operation weeklies and daily rewards from the Group finder give good tech fragments too.

Believe me, you will hit a point where you will cap them and not know what to do with them. I have all my 5 characters with set bonuses and tacticals now. The costly part are the amps and removing the armorings/hilts/barrels you want from the gear it's on to put on your set bonus gear. Removing each part costs 100k credits and buying the gear sets and one tactical will cost you 7m credits total per character (unless you get lucky with that random vendor). Rerolling amps is a pain and costly as well. I try not to do it more than 1-3 times per armoring/hilt/barrel.

Edited by Nemmar

I just play the game, which for me mostly means raiding and running random fps with guildies or solo and this also translates in a lot of conquest points without me doing hardly anything different that I would so I count myself really lucky. There was no real grind or monotonous activity, other than playing *a lot* the first week of the expansion but that's normal (for me). I remember playing even longer hours when SoR dropped.

Once my main class was kitted, I focused on one other toon/discipline at the time, planted it in front of the vendor and periodically logged them to buy a piece when I hit 3000+ TC (and I also played them a bit here and there ofc but the majority of the TCs and the mods drops came from my two main classes' activities).

I'm at 5 ACs done (that's 8 sets), though true BiS is still a work in progress as I'm waiting the crafting changes for the new augments and the very best mods are elusive but I'm not gonna chase them at the rng vendor until there's nothing else left to buy.

I thought I would hate the system but *for my playstyle* it has really worked out.

A traitor among the chiss Flashpoint - Solomode (!) -

Boss 1 - 50 TechFragments

Boss 2 - 50 TechFragments

Bonus Boss - 50 TechFragments

Boss 3 - 80 TechFragments

______________________________ = 230 Techfragments only from bosses

Stealth Class needs 10-15 Minutes to do this in solo.

~ 1000 Techfragments/hour + Techfragments if you disassemble drops :o

All good.

I’ve got 50 slots, but it says I can’t open more. So I sold the last token I purchased on the GTN.

I used to have more after the mergers, but I had to keep deleting them if I wanted newer Alts.

Maybe they’ve changed the cap you can do now or maybe it was a bug. I’ve not purchased another token to test since I figured 50 must be the limit.

the actual limit is (or was, unless that's changed) 100. But you only get so many free, the rest you have to buy the tokens for, I'm up to 76 on SF.

Edited by DarkTergon

the key thing to gearing alts is to get one to 306, and then move that 306 set to each alt as you play them, keeping new 306 pieces to pass to other alts. also, don't be careful when building up, use the highest iRating, no matter what it is. until you hit 306, iRating matters way more than what stats are on it.

other things mentioned or not

I've had more luck with master modes than with SM / VM... better overall loot

don't filter the list... having 2 extra crates of stuff is worth the occasional failed/ l ong run

deconstruct, don't sell. anything below 306 that you can... the TF adds up fast

conquest on 6 alts at large yield = a new vendor gear piece a week from TF, plus probably 6 from crates

weekly crates from daily areas are awesome too

SM ops take a long time for kinda meh rewards (about the same as flashpoints) but the first unfiltered one on each toon gives a crate with 400 TF and gear.... take out the gear, keep the TF in the crate and you can sandbag some TF so you can bump up your total right before (or right after) buying.

also, if you're 1-2 pieces away from finishing a set, and you plan to play other specs (even if it's not on the same toon), switch your loot discipline to the one that's missing more set pieces. that way you have better chances of new gear, instead of duplicates, and finish out the other sets with tech fragments.

Edited by Void_Singer

They took advantage of the early glitches and issues 6.0 came with which also allowed them to adjust amplifiers freely as well as milk other obvious broken features that came with 6.0 gearing.

Many of the vets read guides and were on PTS so they were fully aware of how to gear up fast and took advantage of some of the early broken features that made gearing up even faster than it is now.

I have 10 alts, all in set bonus gear and tacticals and 306 gear optimized as I want it. Holding off on augmenting till Thursday though my main is also fully augmented.

They key for me is to use my alts. It's about efficiency. I don't do any FPs unless I have a weekly for it and I only queue for random FPs so that I always get extra reward crates. Those rewards give you the tech frags you need. Just doing HS ad infinitum won't go as fast for set bonus pieces. It's the GF random and FP weekly rewards that do that much faster.

They took advantage of the early glitches and issues 6.0 came with which also allowed them to adjust amplifiers freely as well as milk other obvious broken features that came with 6.0 gearing. [...]

the ability to select amplifiers doesn't really speed up gearing.

and while I'm usre plenty of people took advantage of certain poor choices (like turret RXP) the truth is it takes less than a week to gear out a single toon jjust running FP's, and once you've done that, each one after can be done in about a day.... sprinkle in a bunch of alts to get conquest rewards from, and it's very quick.

using no cheese other than swapping armor to my current toon, I had 306 on 8 characters in a week, and 2 weeks more and most of them aren't even sharing sets.... and I wasn't trying hard (in fact I was more focused on crafting and conquest, and completely ignored gearing for the first 2 weeks)

I only have one i306 six-piece set for my "farm" toon, but in my legacy I have two full tabs of generic 306 dps gear for every gear slot, both sabers and blasters, and 306 mods, enhancements and armorings as far as the eye can see. i then have a third tab with all the tank 306 stuff. I just have one more tactical I want for the farming toon before I can consider it done being geared - now I just need to upgrade the lvl 10 augs up to lvl 11 but am waiting for the crafting patch to see if they come down in price or I can unlock them on my own crafters.

8 is a lot. I'd imagine they just play a lot. I have 4 sets augmented and in use and working on fifth.

I could count all the trash sets I've gotten from boxes and FPs but since I dont use those I won't count them in.

Really the biggest issue in gearing for me atm is getting augment for every new set. Maxing fragments is a non-issue.

Edited by Kiesu

I have 12 characters dressed in full 306 set bonus gear and also 8 more set bonus sets in my legacy cargo for other toons that im planning to lvl to 75.

Running FPs is really bad advice in this thread, if you want to get your desired gear fast do Conquest, ranked pvp, world bosses and GSF.

Like, completing Conquest gives you 2 crates, one when you hit personal target and one when you receive your guild reward at the beginning of next week. Each crate can give you up to 4 set bonus items, usually 3, and some other 306 trash.

There is also Weekly equipment crate that you can buy for 100 LS or DS tokens from Galactic Command DS/LS vendors on fleet.

Since the launch of 6.0 i barely did any FPs, because Conquest and GSF are much more rewarding, so doing FPs is absolutely useless for anyone who wants to gear fast or get more Renown ranks.