REing Blue -> Purple Rate ?Bugged?

MortisMortavius

I wouldn't be in here if I had REed 30 or 40 or 50 blues...

I REed a blue lvl 49 earpiece and obtained my first purple recipe after 35.

However I have been unable to obtain a different variation of the purple.

I have now REed exactly 177 of the same blue piece AFTER getting my first purple and I'm really starting to wonder if something isn't bugged ... like you can only get one of the purples per blue...

I was unable to find anyone on my server who has gotten more than one purple from a blue.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by MortisMortavius

I am not sure about earpieces, but as far as weapons go for each blue you have 5 different possibilities on the purple. If I have wanted a gun with different stats than the purple I got I just keep RE'ing until I get a different schematic.

I just looked at the market and the earpieces appear to follow the same naming convention, ie overkill, fervor, anti-armor, etc. So I would assume that it would work the same and you are just getting very unlucky. You probably need another cybertech to chime in who has been successful though.

I am not sure about earpieces, but as far as weapons go for each blue you have 5 different possibilities on the purple. If I have wanted a gun with different stats than the purple I got I just keep RE'ing until I get a different schematic.

I just looked at the market and the earpieces appear to follow the same naming convention, ie overkill, fervor, anti-armor, etc. So I would assume that it would work the same and you are just getting very unlucky. You probably need another cybertech to chime in who has been successful though.

I definitely understand the way it works... I have just been unable to find anyone that has gotten more than one purple schematic from a single blue...

I'm specifically crafting [Critical Reflex Enhancement Adapter]s

I've received the schematic for [supremacy Reflex Enhancement Adapter]s

188 later and still not another schematic from it ... it's costing a small fortune:

Durasteel x 376 = 225,600

Thermoplast Flux x 376 = 150,400

Zal Alloy x 752 = 752,000

Ciridium x 376 = 564,000

Grand total of approx: 1,692,000 credits...

These are obviously based on going price rates on my server but still... this is out of control I have nothing to show for all this effort... I've made so many of them I'm, in all honesty wondering if it isn't bugged!

I'm about to hit 200 which would put the discovery rate at .5% ? That seems a little low to me, especially when there's 3 more to discover after this one just for this one blue schematic...

I would say if you have gotten one purple so far you are very lucky. I am working on the lvl 49 earpieces also and have now done around 100 without hitting a single purple schematic. For variation I am working off of 3 different blue patterns and still no luck.

Is there any information on whether REing a crit version of the blue improves your chances of getting the purple schematic?

I would say if you have gotten one purple so far you are very lucky. I am working on the lvl 49 earpieces also and have now done around 100 without hitting a single purple schematic. For variation I am working off of 3 different blue patterns and still no luck.

Is there any information on whether REing a crit version of the blue improves your chances of getting the purple schematic?

For a while I saved them up (thought I was going to sell them) then REed 10 in a row... didn't seem to make any difference since I STILL didn't get anything.

I would also not say I'm very lucky. On average, it takes about 30 - 35 blues to get a purple. I have multiple crafting alts and friends all reporting the same thing. If it takes to 50 something seems wrong...

So now I'm wondering if perhaps this isn't a problem with earpieces specifically?!

I can tell you right now that it just isn't worth it. PERIOD. If it takes 2M credits to get a recipe, you'll NEVER make that money back from making those items.

You could fully gear your fresh level 50 in high level BoE purples off the AH/GTM with that kind of cash.

I think that its more difficult to get purples (and probably blues) from higher level schematics. I started RE early with level 21 implants, then 25s, 29, 33, 37 etc. and have 10+ purple schematics. The lower level items yield purples at a much higher rate, i would guess 15-20% at 21. By 37 i think it's below 5%.

I think that its more difficult to get purples (and probably blues) from higher level schematics. I started RE early with level 21 implants, then 25s, 29, 33, 37 etc. and have 10+ purple schematics. The lower level items yield purples at a much higher rate, i would guess 15-20% at 21. By 37 i think it's below 5%.

From what I can tell the rate for lvl 49 items (blue->purple) is about 2.5 - 3%.

This is the case for nearly everything I've tried...

However in this specific instance (trying to obtain different purples from the same base blue) I'm seeing a 0%. As in, I have yet to find anyone that has obtained multiple purples from the same base blue.

This was NOT the case in beta...

I was having problems with implants for biochem. Got my first purple in my first couple tries but it had accuracy on it which is worthless to me as a healer. So figured I would keep reverse engineering them and should be able to get a different purple. After about another 50-75 (never really kept track) I got one "You already have this schematic" message.

I just gave up and bought the ones I wanted on the GTN for 45k a piece.

I was having problems with implants for biochem. Got my first purple in my first couple tries but it had accuracy on it which is worthless to me as a healer. So figured I would keep reverse engineering them and should be able to get a different purple. After about another 50-75 (never really kept track) I got one "You already have this schematic" message.

I just gave up and bought the ones I wanted on the GTN for 45k a piece.

At least you got the duplicate notice ... I haven't even gotten that... now at 192 ...

I love crafting in MMOs, it's one of my favorite parts but I'm about to just say **** this nonsense and just buy what I want. If I did that I'd have everything I wanted already ...

This is complete BS and I can't find a single other person who has been able to acquire multiple purples from a single blue; not even one. I know multiple people who are now breaking 100 REs of a blue after their first purple though...

And of course BW won't respond since they're going for the Blizzard, "we don't talk to the community" angle. I miss Trion right now, lol.

I know you get multiple blue types, could it be that you need to get the different blue type and then RE them to get the Purple variants?

According to the sticky each blue has 5 purple variations... there are 3 blue variations of a green.

I definitely know this to be true.

The problem is discovering more than one of the 5 purples. When I hit 200 (in about 20m) I am going to give up and say it's ether

A) A Bug

B) Working as intended but one person can not discover more than one purple per blue.

I know you get multiple blue types, could it be that you need to get the different blue type and then RE them to get the Purple variants?

You mean: get all possible blue out of a green one? So make them all and RE those to get the purple? Otherwise only one purple may be granted? That would be awesome BS, but after the knee-jerk stuff they already showed, the thought is not that far off.

According to the sticky each blue has 5 purple variations... there are 3 blue variations of a green.

The problem is discovering more than one of the 5 purples. When I hit 200 (in about 20m) I am going to give up and say it's ether

A) A Bug

B) Working as intended but one person can not discover more than one purple per blue.

It could be that if there are 5 purples and 3 blues that some of the blues only have one purple variant and others have more.

Going from a purely statistical approach, one would not have a two purple variants.

I'm in your boat, mate.

I'm grinding two blue versions - healer Aim and tank Aim.

The tank one I'm doing is the blue Redoubt version of the Aim/Accuracy/Defense green. I think I made about 20-30 before I got a purple, but it had Aim/Accuracy/Defense/Surge, so I wanted to get the one with Aim/Accuracy/Defense/Shield. It's just not happening after many batches, and I started wondering the same thing as you.

The healer one, starting from the Overpower blue variation (Aim/Power/Alacrity) took me a beastly number of batches before it even procced the first purple. Fortunately, I got the right epic variation (same stats, just more Alacrity), so I don't have to redo it.

I'll keep doing it and post the results if I see a second tanking purple.

In the meantime, I started selling all the blue augment versions. They move pretty fast, so I feel a little less depressed about the whole process and they finance my UT missions.

Probability...

If you would like to know what the probability of your *not* having gotten a purple out of N re-engineers with a learning probability of Q per re-engineer:

P = (1-Q)^N

Let's say you've got a 2% shot each time, then after 200 tries 0.98^200 = 0.017. That's almost 2%! That is, 1 in 50 people will likely have to RE that item 200 times before they learn the schematic.

Just some food for thought.

EDIT: Or, if it were 1%: 0.99^200 = 0.133.. 13% ;) That is, more than 1 in 10 people would still not have learned the schematic after 200 REs.

Edited by Seront

A) A Bug

I'm working on Synthweaving and I've gotten multiple purples on one blue.

"Redoubt Memory Fiber Belt -> Exactitude Memory Fiber Belt [superior] & General's Memory Fiber Belt [superior]"

However I'm now working on my level 49 blue patterns. I'm about 100 in and have yet to get a purple. :(

I can't speak to the specific item you're working on, but I just wanted to post and say I have gotten 2 different purples from the same blue item. It was an earpiece, I believe the lvl 19 cybertech one. The first one I got had defense on it, so I kept trying and finally got one a dps stat. I'm away from the computer with swtor so I can't remember actual names, but I just wanted to let you know it is possible.

I will also say though that there is a chance some items are bugged. I know RNG is just that, but I RE'd WAY to many of this one blue piece and never got a purple. I finally stopped because it felt sick just sinking more and more credits into it. There just isn't enough information out there yet to know whether some pieces might not be able to RE to purples, or are just bugged, and without that it gets harder and harder to keep throwing money away REing.

The level 49 items divebomb when it comes to the chance to get an artifact schematic from REing a prototype. There's no way to know if this is intentional or not really, but it is certainly crappy. Out of around 180 prototype REs I received 3 artifact schematics from the level 49 tier of implants.

The investment is enormous in terms of being able to get a schematic that a crafter can actually profit from on that tier. I have no idea when I will make back the cost it took me to acquire those schematics on top of the cost of actually creating the artifact pieces, but with current market forces it's well over 100 sales.

I think I read somewhere that the developers mentioned that certain recipes were made to be extra rare. Maybe that is the case here. Maybe each level 49 recipe can only reward 1 purple per person ON PURPOSE to keep recipes rare on each server?

I think I read somewhere that the developers mentioned that certain recipes were made to be extra rare.

Schematics, cause that's about what they were talking, are rare in some cases. Even: extremely rare.

But improving the item I already got schematics for is totally different story. And they IMO shouldn't be extremely rare. I'm fine with 5, even 3% hit rate but not 0.5%!

Especially when thanks to huge design flaw - you can learn schematics that you already know!

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

Probability...

If you would like to know what the probability of your *not* having gotten a purple out of N re-engineers with a learning probability of Q per re-engineer:

P = (1-Q)^N

Let's say you've got a 2% shot each time, then after 200 tries 0.98^200 = 0.017. That's almost 2%! That is, 1 in 50 people will likely have to RE that item 200 times before they learn the schematic.

Just some food for thought.

EDIT: Or, if it were 1%: 0.99^200 = 0.133.. 13% ;) That is, more than 1 in 10 people would still not have learned the schematic after 200 REs.

indeed.

the problem though, at least as far as i'm concerned, is the other way -

1 in 100 people get it first time. thats right folks that have 2million credits trying to get that one special purple - someone else on your server probably got it from their first ever RE of a blue. so not only did they get it sooner so they can make more profit out of it with no competition, they spent a tiny fraction of what you did on it.

brilliant design!

as for my experience...

i've REed a Redoubt Aim implant 70-80 times now hoping for a veracity purple... all i've had is a Generals one (+presence :() after about 40. so i'm probably coming up on a 'you already know this schematic' any day now :p