Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

I'm starting up the desktop hardware questions and answer thread again. You have the questions and your fellow IT knowledgeable players have the answers, so ask away

If you have any questions on video cards, cpus, or ram upgrades please check out http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=3898. This is a fantastic list and info for you.

Edited by Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious if anyone already playing release client has tried running it with 3d surround and how it looks if so. at the very least I was pleased with how it played across 3 screens in the mass beta at end of November. Only gripe would be UI in that configuration with lack of ability to move things around. Course they say they are working on UI customization as an important feature post-launch. One can only hope sooner rather than later...

So I started playing today for the first time. For some reason I'm pretty laggy =( I have good computer and internet so don't know what it is. I decided to run in windows mode hoping that would help but it didn't Can someone help?

Edit: Sorry misread post, not really a hardware question :o

Edited by guevararicardo

Curious if anyone already playing release client has tried running it with 3d surround and how it looks if so. at the very least I was pleased with how it played across 3 screens in the mass beta at end of November. Only gripe would be UI in that configuration with lack of ability to move things around. Course they say they are working on UI customization as an important feature post-launch. One can only hope sooner rather than later...

Agree with the sooner than later.

Edited by Veilshatter

I have an old laptop that I used to play counterstrike on, and it's the only pc that I will have access to over christmas, can anyone tell me if it would run this on bare minimun settings?

OS - WINDOWS XP

CPU - Inte Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz

RAM - 3GB

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS 512mb memory

So I started playing today for the first time. For some reason I'm pretty laggy =( I have good computer and internet so don't know what it is. I decided to run in windows mode hoping that would help but it didn't Can someone help?

It could be server side. I remember the first day of beta its had odd lag like that too. Just give it time it should iron out.

Ran Eyefinity for the past two months and it is the only way to play this game in my opinion. Can't do the 3D thing because of my eyes, but I agree a moveable UI would be a Godsend since to look at the minimap I have to look at thr far right corner.

Looking to try and run my screens in portrait mode to check that out.

System: AMD X6 3.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3, HD6870 1GB, Vrapter 10k for TOR, Win 7 64bit, Crosshair Formula IV, TT Level10 GT case. 3840x1024 @ 46FPS avg with everything turned up even in highly populate areas.

Not really a direct hardware question, but what kind of lag? People can say "It's laggy" to mean their FPS or their latency, and it's important to be able to tell which.

I have an old laptop that I used to play counterstrike on, and it's the only pc that I will have access to over christmas, can anyone tell me if it would run this on bare minimun settings?

Desktop hardware Q&A. There may not be a Laptop Q&A thread, so you might have to start it, but you really should.

Edited by Colobulous

OS - WINDOWS XP

RAM - 3GB

On bare minimum yes you can run it

You think the official version will be better optimized then lets say stress test Beta?

Coz I ran the beta with about 30-35FPS normally and 20-25FPS when crowded area..

playing on:

AMD X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz

2Gb DDR3

GeForce 8600 GTS 256mb

So i think its not gonna be so hot with those HW requirements...

Edited by Sumpator

OS - WINDOWS XP

RAM - 3GB

I ran pretty well on low/med settings over the Thanksgiving weekend with the following:

WinXP

Intel Core2 @2.2

2GB Ram

ATI 4670 1GB

Not going to get the super textures or anything, but it still looked good and ran smooth for me.

Not going to get the super textures or anything, but it still looked good and ran smooth for me.

Yop I do agree. You really do not need high-end PC to run this game smoothly.. In advance, this game is aiming to a group of players who doesnt care about graphics ;)

Graphics is unimportant, important is smoothness and stunning gameplay, which it certainly has.

You think the official version will be better optimized then lets say stress test Beta?

Coz I ran the beta with about 30-35FPS normally and 20-25FPS when crowded area..

playing on:

AMD X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz

2Gb DDR3

GeForce 8600 GTS 256mb

So i think its not gonna be so hot with those HW requirements...

It might be a bit more. But your system is barely over recomended. I would be looking for about what your getting out of it maybe a bit more but not much. Try lowering some settings.make sure shadows are at the lowest setting, seeing as shadow rendering is a pretty big fps muncher.

Edited by Veilshatter

Not really a direct hardware question, but what kind of lag? People can say "It's laggy" to mean their FPS or their latency, and it's important to be able to tell which.

The cutscene voices are fine but the facials dont keep up. When I was fighting It shows like 2 strikes and sometimes they just drop dead after 1. I right click to loot and it takes like 3 secs for my character to do it. Same thing when I'm walking, just doesn't seem fluid if that makes any sense

So iam guessing i should be fine with my new pc. 16g ram terabytehardrive with a i7 2700k 3.5ghz with 570ti the caculator on the site said 143 fps on mdw2 on high settings. ididnt want to be short changed this time.

No your pc will blow up and run it at 1fps :)

The cutscene voices are fine but the facials dont keep up. When I was fighting It shows like 2 strikes and sometimes they just drop dead after 1. I right click to loot and it takes like 3 secs for my character to do it. Same thing when I'm walking, just doesn't seem fluid if that makes any sense

That sounds more like a server lag issue than anything else, I'd just go with it being a problem for the server and you'll have to wait for them to work out the kinks.

If it were some other day, I might credit it to another problem, but today, yeah, server problems.

Well here is a hardware question i do have though not 100% game related. I am building a me computer for the game and plan on having an ssd hard drive and then 2 others in raid 0. I plan on putting windows on the ssd and not sure where I should put star wars any suggestions. The ssd will be a sata 3 and 120 gig

So just a tip for people running the game off of laptops. If you want to save your battery life and reduce heating, I recommend the following:

-If you're using your laptop for extended periods, remove the battery and plug it into the AC adapter. Heat is a large contributor to reducing the battery life. Plus, every time you turn your computer on with the ac connector plugged in (regardless of if the battery is full), it begins a cycle. The lifetime of your battery is longer, if you minimize the number of cycles. Prop a book under the back to keep the fan from resting directly on the desk/lap.

-buy a lap/desk cooling pad, such as the Belkin one. It raises your computer off your desk/lap and keeps it cooler.

-clean out your fan if it's an old laptop...

Edited by Spots