Campaign for Galactic Starfighter June 2016

Sorrai

Esteemed fans of Galactic Starfighter,

There is a potential for change in the not-too-distant future and I am appealing to all of you for your help and support in making this happen.

On Saturday, May 14th, Eric Musco held a Twitch stream that featured Michael Backus, lead technical designer for SWTOR. Michael Backus also happens to be the lead designer for Galactic Starfighter. The following is a transcript of Michael's response to a player requesting further development of GSF:

MICHAEL BACKUS: “I love Starfighter. It was an... actually, an amazing feat given how small the team was that got to work on it because we were working on other things at the same time--”.

<<Musco interjects, mentioning Shadow of Revan and Galactic Strongholds as the other projects that were developed concurrently with GSF. >>

“Uhm, but yeah, no, we had just a small team of--”

<<Musco interjects again with some off-topic commentary from the live chat and they joke around for a bit. >>

“...It was a very small team and we didn't even know if the engine could handle this free-flight, space... Uhm, so it was an incredible experience. Obviously there was still so much more I would love--have loved--to do with it. See, it was a great opportunity because I've always been a fan of, like, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Freelancer and all those free space PVP games and games that... came from Lucasarts back in the day. So, it was a great experience and I love it, and there's still—deep inside—I want to do more for it.”

ERIC MUSCO: “For anyone who is, like, 'Please bring us more Starfighter!', he is the lead designer on SWTOR now and was the lead designer on Starfighter. I can tell you this man loves Starfighter and if there is an opportunity to do more in Starfighter...”

BACKUS: “Yeah, It's about picking the right battles and making sure the people are letting us know what they want.”

MUSCO: “We were actually talking about… er, yesterday? At lunch we were talking about Starfighter. It was like, just this weekend.”

BACKUS: “Yeah, no it was.”

MUSCO: “So don't worry.”

BACKUS: “There are… you always talk about the 'Wall of Crazy'. There are definitely some things out there that, that… we would like to do to add to it. It's just a matter of priorities and what's best for the game.”

The Twitch stream can be found here: https://secure.twitch.tv/swtor/v/66376234 and the conversation begins at around 02:03:20.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised this hasn't received more attention on the forums. Unless I am mistaken this is the most input on GSF we've received from the Dev team in a very, very long time. I may be overly optimistic but to me both Michael Backus and Eric Musco seem to be inferring that perhaps there is still some hope for GSF after all. With this revelation, along with a few other factors currently in play, it seems to be an ideal time to strike while the iron is lukewarm and make our collective voices heard. I propose we muster our forces and make a strong push during the entire month of June to tell Michael Backus and his dev team what we have been wanting, waiting and hoping for over the past 2 years. I think June is the perfect time to do this for the following 2 reasons:

1. Michael Backus's recent appointment as lead designer for all of SWTOR. Perhaps some of you were already privy to this information. I happen to find this news very encouraging considering some older posts on the forums claimed the original GSF team had left SWTOR long ago. The revelation that GSF's lead designer is now in charge of SWTOR's entire game design is a BIG DEAL. If ANYBODY on SWTOR's current Dev team can make something happen for GSF, it is going to be Michael Backus! GSF is his baby.

2. Grand Galactic Starfighter Packs. Despite Dulfy having listed these as "items no longer available" in their last Weekly Sales post, the GSF pack is still available and has been moved to the Miscellaneous tab on the Cartel Market. Sustained sales of these packs might be the most direct way for us to communicate to the Devs that there is renewed interest and profit to be made in GSF. Over the next month, I encourage everyone to spend some Cartel Coins on purchasing a few Grand Starfighter packs. At 110 CC a pop, they won't break the bank and a spike in sales could help tip the scales in our favor. Subscribers have the added benefit of simply allocating their monthly 600 CC stipend toward purchasing a few packs. Despite a few minor bug issues these packs may be the strongest tool we have at our disposal for pulling GSF out of the abyss of neglect it has been in for the past 2 years. Keep the bigger picture in mind!

I have enlisted a few members of my guild to embark on a grassroots GSF campaign for the entire month of June to help promote and revitalize Galactic Starfighter on my home server of Begeren Colony. We are currently in the process of developing a few ideas that will work within our means while having some fun and reaching out to players who might be too intimidated or frustrated to queue up on their own.

I appeal to guild masters, officers, solo players, veterans and rookie players alike to help spread the word and embark on your own grassroots campaign to promote and support GSF on your server. GSF deserves a new lease on life. This is our fight and this is our goal. For every pilot promoting GSF on the forums and in general chat, there will be a hundred trolls tearing them down. I ask that you ignore the hate and focus on what is ultimately most important: the message. We are passionate about GSF. We desire more content. Our loyal and beleaguered community deserves to have it's voice heard and recognized.

Please reply to this thread and voice your support if you wish to see more content for GSF!

Queue up!

~Elaeis~

Begeren Colony

Edited by Sorrai

As a fellow GSF Pilot and former member of Ebon Hawk's Eclipse Squadron guild I approve of this and look forward to some much needed new content for GSF! I'm on The Harbinger now and the queue can take some time to pop :(

Who knows maybe we will get something new still this year! :sy_starship:

Umm...no replying nothing but "bump' would get people in trouble. Keeping the thread in the forefront with posts indicating that there is still an interest in Galactic Star Fighter is perfectly fine.

Not to worry. I changed the wording on that so as not to make it an issue. :csw_snowspeeder:

I support this thread. It's been a year since the Devs last posted in the GSF forums, and over two years since the last bugfix. We'd literally cry if they changed a number on strike fighter stats. The recent cartel packs are the closest thing we've gotten to GSF content.

The community has worked hard to keep GSF alive. Guild hosted events with prizes, GSF school sessions, taking time to mentor new players, outreach, etc. And I'm proud of it.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Probably one of the best things about SWTOR, incredibly fun, surprisingly deep. The only real problem with it is that it doesn't get much attention. The very definition of 'hidden gem.' :csw_xwing:

:csw_r2d2: Designer Backus. Years ago, you served our game in Galactic Starfighter. Now we beg you to help us in our struggle against lack of updates. I regret that I am unable to present our request to you in person, but my Pike has been BLC'd and I'm afraid my mission to master it has failed. I have bought GSF packs vital to the survival of GSF from the in-game Cartel Market. We will know how to retrieve these items. You must see this game mode safely delivered an update. This is our most desperate hour. Help us, Michael Backus. You're our only hope.

Edited by BCGaius

Ive been thinking for a while that Bioware had forgotten the "Star" part of "Star Wars".

When I wanted to do the Eternal Championship again after I had recruited Bowdaar, I had no idea how to get to Zakuul (in this age of teleporting to H2s or Alliance Contacts).

Then I eventually remembered I had a starship!!! Its been that long since I used it.

I love GSF, but its got a brutal learning curve as a PvP arena, and the majority of PvE players wont touch PvP with a bargepole.

We need a co-op, free flight space battle PvE experiance in a Star Wars game.

I support the idea of giving a little something to the players who enjoy GSF, but I can't see them making the changes that would make it fun for me personally again.

I guess it might still be fun playing in a likeminded guild with TS, but between the gunships and bombers, the thrill of dogfighting has all but gone IMO.

It's just anticlimatic to finally get the upper hand in a close fight only to be blown out of the sky by a sniper.

In the interview he said that he loved the feel of the old X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games. I do as well, but unfotunately, GSF feels nothing like it.

Also the gap between a fully upgraded ship and a vanilla one is way too high IMO, much higher than it is in ground PvP at least. So I never did any of it on another char than my main who had said unlocks.

I love GSF, and I've subbed since just after launch, and nowadays only use CCs to transfer req from ship to fleet to kit out the ships I want to fly over those I don't. - Even bought a few CCs a few times.

Much as I'd love to try and make BW take notice by buying packs, I think they've had enough of my money to put some of it into the one aspect of the game I like the most.......

But in my heart, I think it's a lost cause. Since the post that strikes needed looking at, and was then abandoned without even a follow-up post, let alone tacking the issues that many sensible players highlighted, I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

Such a shame that for the big fanfare at the launch of GSF, they failed this little gem of a game.

that's funny how he says he loved X-Wing Vs Tie and Freelancer yet we have something like the bomber totally ruining the dogfight space combat feel the game had before the bombers showed up in game, since the bomber was introduced dogfights became almost non-existent...

Imagine if they add something like GSF OP. Like pilots against the Eternal Fleet or something. Imho the biggest problem GSF has is that it's extremely unfriendly to new players - they have to learn it while playing against the best GSF players. Just dying for days until you learn the game seems a little extreme. Some pve GSF would certainly help those players. Edited by Tsetso

Imagine if they add something like GSF OP. Like pilots against the Eternal Fleet or something. Imho the biggest problem GSF has is that it's extremely unfriendly to new players - they have to learn it while playing against the best GSF players. Just dying for days until you learn the game seems a little extreme. Some pve GSF would certainly help those players.

there is speculation that the whole thing was rushed through- and to get the gameplay about right, the tutorial was only half-done.

OTOH the community seems to be pretty forgiving to newbies so long as they at least try to fly and understand objectives. - There are plenty of people who can advise on playstyle, ship builds and the like.

-If you compare ground PvP, newbies can get told to " L2P noob" /" you sux" / "uninstall"/ "never queue again" "go kill yourself" etc.

I got a pretty thick skin, and I can hold my own in ground PvP, but I know what community I prefer.

Lack of Legacy ships and the introduction of Bombers ruined it for me. I support efforts to get it attention, but...there are things where the development time would be better spent imo. GSF is/was brilliant...but bombers and the lack of attention after they were introduced, killed it.

Lack of Legacy ships and the introduction of Bombers ruined it for me. I support efforts to get it attention, but...there are things where the development time would be better spent imo. GSF is/was brilliant...but bombers and the lack of attention after they were introduced, killed it.

Oh right, I wondered why I stopped playing GSF because I used to do it a lot. But I quit GSF after the introduction of bombers too. It also didnt help that you can get one-shotted from a few kilometers away. That never seemed very Star Wars to me. The movies would have been less impressive had there been a bunch of gunships shooting at the death star from the other side of the solar system...

Edited by Gokkus

I have to say that I'm super disappointed they didn't go the direction of Jump to Light Speed. What we have now is a cheesy little mini-game. I'm not surprised at all that it failed as quickly and as miserably as it did. It's too bad, too because it looks like they put a lot of effort into it.

They missed some really key elements:

1.) Open World Space Exploration

2.) Multi-Player Ships

3.) Ships with Interiors than can be DECORATED

4.) Space Specific Material, Loot, Gear

5.) PvE Space Campaigns

The opportunities for greatness are virtually endless with a space game tied into SWTOR. Yes, it would be a big investment. Yes, it would be almost an entirely separate game. But if they tied it together in the correct way it would set SWTOR apart from every other game in a way that has never been done.

This is the most straight forward way to double subscriptions and double cartel coin sales.

the problem of bombers can be solved by gunships. i know that's a broad statement but if any of youse guys wanna fly with me, i'd be glad to hit the hyperlanes with ya.

meaning we can do voip and i can teach you how to blow those tricksters up.

Edited by ryniloym

I support this, and will do what I can to also help promote GSF for June. The fact that the game still has such a dedicated player base is proof of its quality and potential; with just a little bit of renewed attention for QoL and bug fixes, we could probably see it make great strides. Although of course new content would do that even better! :D

I understand that it's not for all players. No part of the game is for all players; everyone has their preferences. But I see more people poke their head into GSF to explore than I ever see in ground PVP - because it's Star Wars and people are excited by starships! I think it would be a lot easier to keep those people involved in GSF, if their first experiences were made a little more friendly by any of the QoL fixes the community has been proposing for years. And, let's face it, even just a little bit of "advertising" from the devs/game.

Thanks for posting, OP, and for your enthusiasm. Here's hoping for positive results!