Jedi Knight Story (Spoilers)

DariusSavog

Makeb heavily implied that the Emperor is a bodiless ghost now, since he has had voices destroyed before [the SW destroys one in fact] and yet is never taken out of commission as brutally as when the JK kills him.

It'd be fun to see the SI eat him/purify him due to his special connection with ghosts, but with the death of class stories it's all speculation anyway.

That's actually perfect! Inquisitor class storyline leading them to becoming the new Emperor and getting the Emperor title! PERFECT!

That's actually perfect! Inquisitor class storyline leading them to becoming the new Emperor and getting the Emperor title! PERFECT!
That would certainly be effective one-ups-manship in the escalating arms race between Empire and Republic for "ludicrous player characters". :p

That would certainly be effective one-ups-manship in the escalating arms race between Empire and Republic for "ludicrous player characters". :p

What they should have done, is made the Emperor's Wrath this big bad Sith for all the storylines, and kept the SW as he one who comes to replace the old one, while the JK defeats it. Then you wouldn't have the feeling of "Beat the most powerful Sith in existence, so why am I now needing a team for these less than powerful Sith"

It's a fun story, but it's not one that goes well with the others if you actually look at it from continuing the stories.

It'd be fun to see the SI eat him/purify him due to his special connection with ghosts, but with the death of class stories it's all speculation anyway.

Even if the class stories continued, no 1 class would ever be given "final defeat of the Emperor" plot. It was clear from the beginning that the Emperor was written to eventually become the enemy of both factions, and Darth Marr is not even subtle about telegraphing it to the players in ROTHC, and it will surely come down to a big Flashpoint or Operation, not any small instance in 1 class story. Edited by Pietrastor

Very true. In fact, even though that Sith Emperor may or may not be corporeal anymore, how do we know that it doesn't make him MORE powerful? Just with a steep learning curve on interacting with the physical world and applying that new extra power. But once he can, maybe he'll be mass-killing people from a distance through the force and eating their juicy energy.

Storylines for both factions could involve server wide cooperation to track down some mystical item that protects people from the Emperor's power (Republic) or traps the Emperor and condenses his form in one place so it can be attacked and maybe dispelled (Empire). Once both sides complete that storyline, both sides open up their own flashpoint where they can take on the Emperor with NPC representatives from the other side.

Edited by Bytemite

• 5 months later...
I'm pretty sure the above poster is in a vast minority. I've never heard anyone else say they dislike the Knight story, IMO it is the best (working on Agent, though, so may be proven wrong). There is literally nothing wrong with the JK story. It is a classic Star Wars tale, where you are basically the "Luke Skywalker" of the story. It's really fun and the story makes more sense than most of the Prequels. ;)

Actually, I found this thread today because I had issues with the storyline and was checking to see if "that was all." So far I've played the Sith Warrior and the Jedi Knight storylines to their ends and found the SW storyline much better constructed in terms of dramatic arc and staging. While the JW has its moments (like the first time you meet the guy you'll later know as Lord Scourge, or when you convert one of the Sith warriors to the Jedi's), overall it's just "go go go go go go" -- a slow rise in action like a tide eventually leading to the battles of Corelia... but they all end up feeling a lot like "more of the same." And then there episode to face the Emperor, which was kind of a huge let-down, and it's why I'm looking online to see if there is anything more because it doesn't feel like the proper end of a storyline.

I'm not saying the JW is awful, but there is just really very little suspense and actual dramatic arc to it... it's just one fight after the next. The SW was much more well defined and broken into acts, even Act I (which in the JW storyline was just one big action smear); you're looking to draw out that Jedi padawan, and so you can torment / kill various people in her life to instigate her appearance, and the meeting at the end of Act 1 is pretty amazing. And the SW storyline repeats "arcs" like that, even the last one; there were a bunch of smaller, very sharply-drawn stories, within each larger story.

I really did not feel much of an arc or a driving force amid the JW storyline, and the last confrontation is far more boring and a let-down than the end of Act 2. (I also felt like they used "gimmicks" to make it harder, like swapping out my companion against my will for one I hadn't done the upgrades on for a long time.)

I'm hoping some of the other storylines are better than JK.

Edited by jennywocky

I'll assume you have the same issue with Luke on the original trilogy, given the kind of stuff he does and the complete lack of experience as a Jedi Knight. One can easily assume that the JK was trained in the ways of the Jedi, from early on, unlike Luke, who was already a young adult.

Double standards FTW. :cool:

Who exactly did Luke defeat in straight up combat? It certainly wasn't the Emperor. :p

If Luke's story followed the same arc as the JK, as soon as Kenobi handed him his lightsaber he would have killed the Emperor, redeemed Vader, wiped out the Imperial Remnant, and then hopped in a starfighter and flown over to destroy the Yuuzhan Vong singlehandedly before they could launch their invasion.

All before lunch.

There is no 'arc' in the JK story, right out of the gate you are just the biggest, baddest, most awesome person in the history of ever. I mean, you have the entire Jedi Council fawning over you like Beliebers before you're even halfway done with Tython. Maybe some people like that, but I just found it cheesy and boring.

Edited by jovianus

There is no 'arc' in the JK story, right out of the gate you are just the biggest, baddest, most awesome person in the history of ever. I mean, you have the entire Jedi Council fawning over you like Beliebers before you're even halfway done with Tython. Maybe some people like that, but I just found it cheesy and boring.

There is definitely a story arc in the JK story.

What I believe you mean to say is..."character progression". Though, whether there is character progression or not, just depends on how you look at it and play it.

Anyways...yeah, I personally love that your character is supposed to be the best Jedi.

This plays a part in the whole being captured by the emperor "twist".

While it wasn't excuted well in-game by the devs...it was supposed to be a pivotal moment because, yes, the JK is probably the "best" and most powerful Jedi during this time...so you didn't really see something like that happening.

That's what I love about the JK. It's not really about gaining power. It's about having the power...and choosing how to use it.

It really falls in line with one of my favorite quotes...

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-

Edited by VitalityPrime

Who exactly did Luke defeat in straight up combat? It certainly wasn't the Emperor. :p

If Luke's story followed the same arc as the JK, as soon as Kenobi handed him his lightsaber he would have killed the Emperor, redeemed Vader, wiped out the Imperial Remnant, and then hopped in a starfighter and flown over to destroy the Yuuzhan Vong singlehandedly before they could launch their invasion.

All before lunch.

DIES ROFLMAO!!!!

I'm playing thru the JK story now, & that's pretty much the way I'm playing my character. He's a super Jedi who makes Revan look like jar jar on spice. And I like it.....just like the SW is a super bad*** Sith who by the time I get to the end, I'm sure will have smacked each member of the dark council and dared em to do something about it.

All before lunch.

You forgot the part about how his brush with darkness would be the result of being given dark side cooties by the Emperor, rather than a consequence of having his emotional connections to his friends and family twisted until he snapped, or any other kind of actually engaging characterisation.

Because that's how falling to the dark side works in the Knight story, apparently. People just contract it and then poof. They're Sith.

Edited by Bleeters

You forgot the part about how his brush with darkness would be the result of being given dark side cooties by the Emperor, rather than a consequence of having his emotional connections to his friends and family twisted until he snapped, or any other kind of actually engaging characterisation.

Because that's how falling to the dark side works in the Knight story, apparently. People just contract it and then poof. They're Sith.

Last I checked, before the JK is confronted by the spirit of Orgus Din, he's on his way to actually torture Kira. What do you call that exactly, then? The JK was, at that point, a work-in-progress.

Again, they were trying to give away the idea that the JK was to be retrained as a Sith to serve the Emperor, possibly even enduring the same method that Malak, Revan and the other fallen Jedi who accompanied the JK endured.

I agree that they could have done a better job but saying it conveyed the idea you mentioned above is ludicrous to say the least. Also, last I checked, both Orgus and Satele imply that has been sometime since the JK "fell", not to mention that when he faced the Emperor, the Treaty of Coruscant was still in place so to speak.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

The "fall" of the JK in Act 2 was a poorly-handled conclusion to a terribly-conceived arc. At no point does it seem even remotely plausible that the plan is going to succeed and, rather than deal with the consequences of that inevitable failure, the story whisks it safely off-screen so you barely even register that you were doing bad things except for vague things said by NPCs that then promptly forget about the entire thing. Essentially, it's a totally botched effort to temper the overall uberJedi arc the class story presents; they undermine that aspect of the knight's characterization by keeping it offscreen and giving it no credible amount of attention.

For me, I think I'd played too many Bioware games by the time I got to TOR, because the JK story is essentially a rehash of the major plot/story beats that populate other games. The player character is the GREATEST Jedi/Warden/Champion of Kirkwall/Alliance soldier/etc. around and only they can deal with the EVILEST OF EVIL enemies that are the WORST ever and have the DEADLIEST superweapons/powers and your character is part of the MOST EPIC PLOT ever. Obviously, they're not all that cliche, but - in part due to the fact this is an MMO story and not a single player RPG - the JK story felt like a particularly egregious version of it.

I also didn't really enjoy the fact that my knight had basically no flirting options until Doc arrives and then apparently my knight falls madly in love with him and has multiple flirt options with someone that is a self-proclaimed sleazeball. I get that some people really like the romance, but it was annoying that the female knight is essentially a nun in space until the designated love interest shows up (of course, this is an issue for female characters of other classes too), and has very few, if any, opportunities to even flirt. I do realize that's a petty complaint, but I don't like Doc much :p

There are parts of the story I liked, I generally enjoyed the companions (T7/Kira/Scourge), but I found the overall experience pretty unappealing.

Edited by Lesaberisa

Again, they were trying to give away the idea that the JK was to be retrained as a Sith to serve the Emperor, possibly even enduring the same method that Malak, Revan and the other fallen Jedi who accompanied the JK endured.

Yeah, and that method was tedious. There's no drama to it. There's no tension or build up, no legitimate change or growth as a result of their experience. They effectively flipped a switch and made the knight and several other characters sith because the plot required it. One minute you're fine, the next you're dark. Then Orgus effectively slaps you and tells you to wake up, and poof. Cured.

Man, redeeming fallen Jedi back to the light is so easy, who knew?

If the point of this was to demonstrate how powerful the Emperor is and, by extension, the Knight for being able to resist, then fine. It doesn't really demonstrate that since the Knight doesn't resist and needs Orgus to get them out of it, and I'm not particularly big on Special Snowflake/Chosen One plots at the best of times, but I can dig it. But how they implemented that plot was just... cheap. Hell, they could've made the scene where you're sent off to torture Kira the pinnacle moment of redemption, the point at which the Knight frees themselves and restores what they were, actually solidifying the character as someone with the genuine strength of will to overcome the Emperor. But nope. Things just happen.

Edited by Bleeters