Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will you buy future expansions or wait for them to become free?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will you buy future expansions or wait for them to become free?

The_Grand_Nagus
09.13.2013 , 05:20 PM | #1
In light of the recent events with the ROTHC expansion becoming free, some people have questioned how this will effect future expansions. Will this become Bioware's policy to eventually give expansions away for free after a certain amount of time, or is this some kind of "one off" event that has nothing to do with the future?

Obviously, no one can answer that question except Bioware themselves. But for the sake of discussion, lets hypothetically say that this is going to be standard practice going forward. An expansion is released and requires a purchase for a certain amount of time, and then later it is released as free for subscribers. If that were the case,

Will you buy future expansions or wait for them to become free? (click link to vote)

After you vote, please share your thoughts in a post
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

Darslk
09.13.2013 , 05:22 PM | #2
I'll be buying them. 10 bucks is an hour at minimum (approx) and for 5-6 months of being able to do endgame, it's worth it to me. I got my money out of RotHC solely because I love 55 pvp and operations.
Prophecy of the Five, <Ghost Panther>

HoloTweed
09.13.2013 , 05:23 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
In light of the recent events with the ROTHC expansion becoming free, some people have questioned how this will effect future expansions. Will this become Bioware's policy to eventually give expansions away for free after a certain amount of time, or is this some kind of "one off" event that has nothing to do with the future?

Obviously, no one can answer that question except Bioware themselves. But for the sake of discussion, lets hypothetically say that this is going to be standard practice going forward. An expansion is released and requires a purchase for a certain amount of time, and then later it is released as free for subscribers. If that were the case,

Will you buy future expansions or wait for them to become free? (click link to vote)

After you vote, please share your thoughts in a post

People aren't going to wait. This is the internet culture, where everything is available NOW. Plus, gamers are even more voracious, buzzing like locusts to eat new content as soon as possible. Have to be first!

Besides, this is industry-standard; eventually fold expansions into the main game package once the new sales have fallen below a certain threshold. Nothing new here.

Eldeos
09.13.2013 , 05:24 PM | #4
Why wouldn't I purchase them/
yeah...

Rasen
09.13.2013 , 05:25 PM | #5
Buying them. Why would I wait? That's like asking me to wait for a Game of the Year edition of a game I love. This is quite silly, but expected coming from the questioner.

Lumpyone
09.13.2013 , 05:28 PM | #6
Although I didn't mind paying the initial $10 for RotHC, and can't really say I'm not happy with the playtime I got out of it, I think I'm going to wait and do the following:

1. Cancel my sub until the new expansion becomes free. I'll end up saving about $90 just in sub fees.

2. When it does become Free, come back, resub, and play through the content and enjoy myself just as much as I did before. If not more.

The casualness of this game now, as opposed when it was released, just makes it easy to take an extended break and then launch right into gearing up and end game content without any problems.

BewBo
09.13.2013 , 05:34 PM | #7
Wait.

Rankyn
09.13.2013 , 05:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
Buying them. Why would I wait? That's like asking me to wait for a Game of the Year edition of a game I love. This is quite silly, but expected coming from the questioner.
Pretty much this.

If you wait long enough for ANY MMO expansion, it eventually becomes free.
If I dabbled in a game, I might wait for it to go on sale but if it's one of my primary games, I'll buy it when it's released because I'll get more than my money's worth of enjoyment out of it before the price starts falling.

In fact, if they announced their next expansion would be released for $10 on January 1st and would become free 7-9 months later, I don't imagine it would impact expansion sales very much at all.
People that want it will buy it and people that don't, won't.
There will be the initial round of people that "say" they'll wait until it's free but most of them will give in and buy it just to keep playing with their friends.

ZETA_SCORPII
09.13.2013 , 06:22 PM | #9
There is free furniture by the curb every trash day, great way to save $ for you people who want everything cheap. I have no problem paying for good entertainment.

spectreclees
09.13.2013 , 06:27 PM | #10
Buy it immediately, stop being cheap.
Referral link for 7 days of free game time and a starter pack.