Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shield Chance/Absorb or Defense

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Shield Chance/Absorb or Defense

murrayta
01.24.2012 , 04:04 PM | #1
I have been level 50 for about a month, full set of tier 2 pvp gear which I can mod minus the armor slot, and honestly I am not sure what the deal is with damage mitigation. Some people say stack shield some say defenese. The I have pretty high defense but still get hit like a truck, my shield is like 36% chance and my defenese is in the 30% area with riposte up. We already have a threat problem with the abilitiy Q issue and parry animations, do we really need a damage mitigation problem as well. I can see why most people who want to tank are re-rolling troopers.

Any information to how are guards are doing it is welcome.
Crul
Level 50 Jedi Guardian
SWG Flurry Veteran

bbqsauced
01.24.2012 , 04:06 PM | #2
Get some HP. Seriously, do everything you can to get ~20k.

It'll actually make those defensive stats valuable.
Member of - RED RANCOR - The Official TOR Fansite

MorgiTheHallowed
01.24.2012 , 04:22 PM | #3
The defense stat increases your avoidance, it doesn't mitigate damage it just makes it so you can dodge / be missed more. When a hit finally connects its gonna hurt like crazy. Shield chance and absorb stacking mitigates dmg much like armor does.

I much prefer healing the latter tank due to less of a spike issue, especially since I dont have any force problems making constant damage easier to heal and won't make me oom. Rather than someone not taking a hit 4-5 times then bam half his hp is gone cause he didnt dodge.

Atamasama
01.24.2012 , 05:25 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgiTheHallowed View Post
The defense stat increases your avoidance, it doesn't mitigate damage it just makes it so you can dodge / be missed more. When a hit finally connects its gonna hurt like crazy. Shield chance and absorb stacking mitigates dmg much like armor does.
When your shield fails to block it mitigates just as much damage as a failed defense roll: nothing. I never understand the arguments that ignore this. Let's say (hypothetically) you have the same score in all 3 stats, 30%.

Absorb: 30%
Defense: 30%
Shield: 30%

If you are shot, and your shield blocks it, you mitigate 30% of the damage. If you are shot, and your shield doesn't block it, you mitigate 0% of the damage. If you are shot and you defend, you mitigate 100% of the damage. If you are shot and you don't defend, you mitigate 0% of the damage.

The only advantage I've seen for relying on a shield rather than defense is that you can't use defense against critical hits, but you can block them with your shield. So the value of using a shield versus using defense will depend on what the crit stat of your opponent is.
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)

Faolon
01.24.2012 , 05:32 PM | #5
Just an FYI, if you're speaking in terms of PvP, Defense and Shield do very little.

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/unders...-tanks-in-pvp/

Or, at least, not enough to benefit you as much as you'd think.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Grandmasterslash
01.24.2012 , 07:05 PM | #6
Generally it goes: Defense>Shield Chance>Shield Absorption

Diminishing returns affects Defense at 30% While it affects SR and SA at 50%, thus it's really not all that worth it to go past those numbers when they hit that value.

From what you listed, your survivability would probably go up if you started replacing the PvP gear with Columi gear(I think it has higher endurance) and maybe started beefing up your absorption a little bit.