Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Khem Val responsiveness

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Khem Val responsiveness

Trollux
01.24.2012 , 01:07 AM | #1
I seem to have a small problem with my dear companion Khem Val.

Whenever I manually send him in to attack something (Ctrl+1) it takes him a second or so to activate his Dash ability, he then runs to the designated enemy.

There he takes another second or two (probably to introduce himself) and only then does he begin to attack.

When I'm in battle with several enemies and let him chose his own targets I don't really see this delay in attacks.

Is it just me, or am I maybe doing something wrong, or is my personal Khem Val just a little on the slow side?

Any help / information is appreciated.

GregMD
01.24.2012 , 01:15 AM | #2
I get the same thing with every melee companion I've had (qyzen fess, khem val, bowdaar, etc). By the time they actually start doing **** the mob is already at like 5% anyway, they're essentially useless.

Macheath
01.24.2012 , 01:20 AM | #3
This is an issue with all melee companions that I have used, and has been an issue since I first started testing in beta.

When you tell your companion to attack, they will stop dead if they are running, pivot, then begin their attack rotation (activating any charges/pulls/buffs etc. they have, then running in.) While this doesn't matter for ranged companions, the "stopping dead" part really hurts the function of melee companions.

This is likely low on BioWare's list of issues, due to the fact that companions aren't made available to the player for the most competitive parts of the game (raiding and instanced PvP.)

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

gannonmoss
01.24.2012 , 07:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollux View Post
I seem to have a small problem with my dear companion Khem Val.

Whenever I manually send him in to attack something (Ctrl+1) it takes him a second or so to activate his Dash ability, he then runs to the designated enemy.

There he takes another second or two (probably to introduce himself) and only then does he begin to attack.

When I'm in battle with several enemies and let him chose his own targets I don't really see this delay in attacks.

Is it just me, or am I maybe doing something wrong, or is my personal Khem Val just a little on the slow side?

Any help / information is appreciated.
You could, you know, wait the second and a half before attacking.

0.o

Seriously?
Ryften
Dark Associate of Bloodlines

"Through Power I Gain Victory
Through Victory, My Chains Are Broken"

Sir_Roderick
01.24.2012 , 07:48 AM | #5
They also tend to have the same stalling problem when switching between targets, it's not solved by waiting a second or two before joining in.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

slacey
01.24.2012 , 07:53 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by gannonmoss View Post
You could, you know, wait the second and a half before attacking.

0.o

Seriously?
Or, you know, they could fix an obvious design flaw with all melee companions. Ranged companions are just a little too good for soloing because of this - they get in combat BLAM BLAM BLAM they're killing things. It's not that they're great, it's that melee companions are too damn slow - if I wait for them to figure out where the damn mobs are, I almost halve my killing speed.

Anyway, for the OP, if you have Andronikos, start gearing him out, and only use Khem for elites. I'm assuming you're a sorc, as that's where I've had issues with Khem the most - on my assassin, stealthing up to mobs, telling him to attack one while I Maul another has actually produced fairly decent results.

Aexrael
01.24.2012 , 08:24 AM | #7
The delay issues are one of the biggest reasons I wished we'd gotten a ranged tank instead of Xalek. Preferably a Voss or a Gormak with a huge cannon (trooper weapons).

Argencia
01.24.2012 , 09:26 AM | #8
I've experienced this delay too.. now I just run in and AOE knockback.. by the time they're up he's ready to go.. haha XP

LordColdFire
01.24.2012 , 10:13 AM | #9
I've always seen a delay in this, but it seems even worse in the past few days than it was before. I see the same behavior with Khem. Sometimes he doesn't even take out his weapon when I tell him to attack until after running up to the enemy and standing in front of them for a few seconds. This is particularly annoying when you're counting on him to draw aggro, and you have hold back on opening up on the enemy because he hasn't established any yet.

evileeyore
01.24.2012 , 03:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by slacey View Post
Anyway, for the OP, if you have Andronikos, start gearing him out, and only use Khem for elites. I'm assuming you're a sorc, as that's where I've had issues with Khem the most - on my assassin, stealthing up to mobs, telling him to attack one while I Maul another has actually produced fairly decent results.
Ehhh...

I've actually switched full time to Andronikus and Talos.

Andy for STRONG and below areas, where we can burn through trash mobs with ease, also for any areas with "solo" Elites or Champions (only one Elite/Champion, a few Strongs, etc).

I pull out Talos for the Heroic 2 and better areas and take point. Between me and him we're always healed and I handle the CC and DPS with Talos occasionally popping off a few shots into whomever I'm directly attacking.

Talso is also very good about not having AoE's or long cast time abilities that will deCC a foe.