Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sage vs Shadow for solo leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sage vs Shadow for solo leveling?

Stavel
01.23.2012 , 08:24 PM | #1
Title says it all. I have a lvl 14 of both and enjoy both play styles but would like to concentrate on getting one to 50 first. Shadow I'm speccing into Kinetic tree, Sage I haven't decided yet as I healed my whole WoW life and not sure I want to do that again.

Thanks for your replies.

Starxed
01.23.2012 , 09:31 PM | #2
I come from similar experience in WoW (played all the healers extensively), and I tend to favor healers/casters/ranged over melee in general. My current "main" is a 29 Sage, and I have not been having any trouble leveling him as a healer, other than my altaholic desire to play the other classes as well. I find that my sage plays much like my disc priest in WoW, and I tend to contribute offensively quite a bit in flashpoints (up through Cademimu, anyway), depending on the quality of our tank. I also heal in pvp and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

I just rolled a shadow today because I'm interested to see how it plays in both pve and pvp, so I will be interested to hear what others have to say also. Just for balance, I also have a 18 commando and a 15 guardian, so I'm not completely without melee urges.

IndisSeadreamer
01.24.2012 , 01:55 PM | #3
Solo leveling with either will be pretty easy.

That said there were more Champions and Heroic 2+ Quests I could solo as a Sage then as a Shadow.

It's the sheer power of having a Heal button.

Quraswren
01.24.2012 , 02:00 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ScottPatten View Post
Solo leveling with either will be pretty easy.

That said there were more Champions and Heroic 2+ Quests I could solo as a Sage then as a Shadow.

It's the sheer power of having a Heal button.
This right here.

I level 1-50 as a sage and having a decently geared Tanking companion did wonders for the things I could clear solo. Plus getting groups as a healer made it all the better when I needed to.
Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
What you get: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Morvoldo
01.24.2012 , 02:43 PM | #5
i have a 50 shadow Infiltration and Balance spec got realy weak around level 40 so i re-specced Kinetic only decent spec i find on the Shadow but ofc its TANK spec and i'm dps.
shadow was awsome to Force cloak away from bosses, mobs and Elites , the interupts are realy good but even with all that you still have trouble taking a strong and 2 normal mobs , i use Theran to heal mostly, somtimes have Nadia as she is awsome (unless you use CC, then she is usless as of her AOE's).
some probly say L2P and all that **** but theres loads of others who felt same way but as i said Kinetic tank spec was realy good you were unstoppable if you had Theran out healing but if your DPS you cant use it unless you are a tank at level 50 (dont want to tank prefer dps (had enough in wow), i'm now back to Infiltration as trying to sort HM's out Ilum is hard as hell also.
reguarding pvp i havent done much But i have heard Kinetic and Infil is realy good unsure about balance but there is a Infil/Balance cross spec you can do.

rolled a sentinell atm i can take alot more mobs than this shadow ever could,(26) tattoine its on atm and strongs and 2 norms are no problem, downside only 1 interupt. but guardian and sentinell are good apart from Consulars story is Alot better and more exciting....so far

edit :- i forgot to add that one of the best things a shadow had was the Mind Maze aka sap 60 sec stun, was awsome to put on a elite or champion and grab a quest item or chest then stealth away (cheat) or to take 1 mob outa the frame while killing others or story quest finish attack an elite Force cloak come back with MM and kill, but as i said class was awsome up until lvl 40 then it kinda became weak other than that loved it.
The Anitcipation of Death is Worse than Death it self

Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/wbxCgt

Lotharun
01.24.2012 , 03:16 PM | #6
I have one of each at L22 (Sage/Shadow) geared nearly identically. I also have a 22 Scoundrel and 22 Vanguard/Trooper. Just starting on NarrShadda. The Shadow tank is quicker and requires less thought for me than Sage/Mage only due to stealth. I intend to play all to 50, one planet at a time. While all four classes play differently, they’re leveling times are not all that far apart. I’d say pick the one that meets your eye and go for it if that’s your intent. It doesn’t take long. I have a Sent near max as well.

ZenBones
01.24.2012 , 03:20 PM | #7
I loved solo play as my Shadow, all the way up to 50. The stealth allows you to avoid trash mobs that aren't part of your objectives, and Qyzen helped me rip through everything with minimal downtime. Tharan works great when you have to fight a boss/elite, and with the right stuns and interrupts, most of those fights weren't too difficult.

On the whole, it's very viable and moves quickly.
Jedi Consular Shadow - "Sounds dangerous. I'll take care of it."
May the farce be with you.

Ordell
01.24.2012 , 04:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZenBones View Post
I loved solo play as my Shadow, all the way up to 50. The stealth allows you to avoid trash mobs that aren't part of your objectives, and Qyzen helped me rip through everything with minimal downtime. Tharan works great when you have to fight a boss/elite, and with the right stuns and interrupts, most of those fights weren't too difficult.

On the whole, it's very viable and moves quickly.
Although I can't speak to the Sage just yet, this exactly sums up Shadow. While the Sage with a decently equipped Quyzen Fess can solo most champions, there are a few of these that a Shadow with a comparably equipped Theran Cedrax can solo as well.

And, for those times while you are soloing a long fight against a champion who happens to be guarding a nice phat loot chest and someone tries to ninja the chest while you are knee deep in agro, a well timed application of force cloak will ensure that you get the loot from both the chest and the champion!

Either way you'll have a lot of fun and will not be upset with your choice.

Morvoldo
01.24.2012 , 04:31 PM | #9
And, for those times while you are soloing a long fight against a champion who happens to be guarding a nice phat loot chest and someone tries to ninja the chest while you are knee deep in agro, a well timed application of force cloak will ensure that you get the loot from both the chest and the champion!

lol i would never do that if somone was there fighting a mob, i dont take quest objectives if i see another player fighting a group of mobs guarding it i'll help wait for it to re-spawn as always hated that myself plus the spawn time is realy quick in swtor
The Anitcipation of Death is Worse than Death it self

Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/wbxCgt

Ordell
01.24.2012 , 04:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Morvoldo View Post

lol i would never do that if somone was there fighting a mob, i dont take quest objectives if i see another player fighting a group of mobs guarding it i'll help wait for it to re-spawn as always hated that myself plus the spawn time is realy quick in swtor
I don't either, but I had a Sith Marauder try this to me on Hoth in a cave. He got nothing but an butt-whoopin' by the champ. I ended up with two orange pieces of gear and a real nasty e-mail from his republic alt.

It was a good day.