Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Mercenary Overrolled?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Is Mercenary Overrolled?

Arancor
01.23.2012 , 04:09 AM | #11
Merc is definitely overrolled, just not as much as Sorc is. On my server and also in my guild there is a fairly good balance with most classes being almost equally distributed. The only exceptions are Mercs and Sorcs, where Sorcerers are about 3 times as common as the other classes and Mercs are about 2 times as common.

So overall I would say every advanced class has about 1/11 (9%) share of total population with Mercs having 2/11 (18%) and Sorcs having 3/11 (27%).

Daross
01.23.2012 , 04:10 AM | #12
DONT ever look what is around... play the way and class you have fun. Some classes always will be more popular than other.
If you feel unconfortable when there is around so many Merc, try one and show everyone around that there is just few played well :>

(for example, that there are some which does something else than spamming rockets - which when interrupted, suddenly dont know what to do)

Wave_Fusion
01.23.2012 , 04:31 AM | #13
I think I have a mildly balanced server. At first, naturally, there were much more Sentinels/Marauders but they finally went away. Smugglers seem the least common though, still

I don't see alot of Powertechs; but my main is a lvl 42 Vanguard and despite that I still decided to roll Powertech anyway. I did so because I appear to be very good with this type of class.

I also didn't want to be annoyed into being a healer.

*Which oddly enough, caught up to me. When I rolled a smuggler, I decided I would go Scoundrel. It turns out healing's not so bad. I think I still could have made merc/commando work.

After playing all the class types, I still think Vanguard/PT is my favorite, personally.
Using the full shield/tanking spec, I've enjoyed great success in PvP

To each their own.

Assaultrooper
01.23.2012 , 04:51 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Daross View Post
DONT ever look what is around... play the way and class you have fun. Some classes always will be more popular than other.
If you feel unconfortable when there is around so many Merc, try one and show everyone around that there is just few played well :>

(for example, that there are some which does something else than spamming rockets - which when interrupted, suddenly dont know what to do)
I love to see mercs when interrupted the just turn tail and run for their lives ^.^

<-PT Advanced Prototype. If u like going fast (and I mean REAL fast) go PT AP, its the best spec in the game to roflstomp noobs that rolled merc.
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
Just wonderin how AP is lookin pvp wise
Could be worse

Zerafius
01.23.2012 , 08:02 AM | #15
Powertechs DPS just as well as Mercs do to be honest, they have very hard hitting abilities and stand close to tanks for AoE healing effects to be best used. You dont have to roll Powertech just to tank.

Xbrit
01.23.2012 , 09:08 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DervimNorth View Post
And yeah, you should totally try PT, so what that that it's heavy class? It's play style is much more entertaining than merc's tracer missile spamfest. Also, PT is one of the best pvp classes and since it's tanking tree isn't all that great, most people go straight for pyro or shield tech/pyro hybrid.
Do a search for Carolina Parakeet for more info on the ST/Pyro Hybrid.

Frostbird
01.23.2012 , 08:39 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Daross View Post

Problem is when you get to endgame it becomes hard to find groups (especially without a Finder) if your class is saturated.

Am enjoying my Merc (level 15 already) but oh my are there a lot of them leveling. Just finished a 4man quest with 3 mercs and a Juggernaut.
In fact, your life does flash in front of your eyes before death.
The process is known as "living".

jackalious
01.23.2012 , 10:23 PM | #18
Merc's are over rolled for two main reasons.

1. You can be everything with a skill reset. Healer, Tank, DPS all in one.

2. Duel Pistols

I think that about sums it up. Perhaps you are the Jack of all Trades with Merc. Sorc can out heal u, Warrior's can out tank you and well Ops can out DPS you. However none of them can do all three as well as a merc.

Blue
01.23.2012 , 10:26 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by jackalious View Post

2. Duel Pistols

I think that about sums it up. Perhaps you are the Jack of all Trades with Merc. Sorc can out heal u, Warrior's can out tank you and well Ops can out DPS you. However none of them can do all three as well as a merc.
Ops CAN NOT out DPS a merc... maybe a sniper... but def not an op
Elmdor Hellsing (Lowca) -- Former SWG Pre-CU Smuggler

MasterBlasterO
01.23.2012 , 10:27 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by jackalious View Post

2. Duel Pistols

Mercs can't be tanks silly