Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Hideously dangerous Force Charge tactic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Hideously dangerous Force Charge tactic

DrillThrall's Avatar


DrillThrall
01.20.2012 , 04:32 PM | #1
I see my enemy near the bottom of this cliff, but he's out of range for Force Charge. My solution was to dive off the cliff and Force Charge in mid-air as soon as the icon indicated I was in range. Maybe my timing was off, or there was a delay in effect, but I smacked into the ground. Hard. Back to the medical station to figure out a better tactic. heh.

Cthrax's Avatar


Cthrax
01.20.2012 , 04:35 PM | #2
That's because unlike World of Warcraft, which doesn't take the amount you fell prior to activating charge into account, this game has different "gravity" mechanics, if you will.

Meaning that if you jump 100 feet down a cliff and activate force leap onto a NCP, while you will technically HIT your target, you will also take all the extra fall damage minus the 30 yards you lept. In your case, you fell too far before activating the ability.

I've done it a few times by accident (or being overzealous) by leaping at someone way below me, only to die right at there feet because of fall damage.

TankArclight's Avatar


TankArclight
01.20.2012 , 04:35 PM | #3
I haven't fully tested this for real, but I have noticed that if you force charge in midair you still take fall damage.

Need to confirm it though, could have been a fluke.
Im empathic; Im not sympathetic. I know how you feel, I just don't care!

Arlanon's Avatar


Arlanon
01.20.2012 , 04:38 PM | #4
Sadly, I can attest to this.

Force Jump in midair still gets you fall damage.

DemonSoliloquy's Avatar


DemonSoliloquy
01.20.2012 , 04:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cthrax View Post
That's because unlike World of Warcraft, which doesn't take the amount you fell prior to activating charge into account, this game has different "gravity" mechanics, if you will.

Meaning that if you jump 100 feet down a cliff and activate force leap onto a NCP, while you will technically HIT your target, you will also take all the extra fall damage minus the 30 yards you lept. In your case, you fell too far before activating the ability.

I've done it a few times by accident (or being overzealous) by leaping at someone way below me, only to die right at there feet because of fall damage.
Doesn't negate any fall damage, not even the 30 yards. I've tried it.

DrillThrall's Avatar


DrillThrall
01.20.2012 , 05:26 PM | #6
I've never played World of Warcraft; I was just hoping that "superhero physics" was in play.

DrillThrall's Avatar


DrillThrall
01.20.2012 , 06:41 PM | #7
So, is there anything at all in the game that mitigates falling damage?

Arlanon's Avatar


Arlanon
01.20.2012 , 08:01 PM | #8
elevators

Khabarach's Avatar


Khabarach
01.20.2012 , 08:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TankArclight View Post
I haven't fully tested this for real, but I have noticed that if you force charge in midair you still take fall damage.

Need to confirm it though, could have been a fluke.
You do indeed take the fall damage. You can test this easily with intercede actually. Start from the VIP area in the fleet, jump off and intercede someone when you get close to the bottom. You'll actually move horizontally to where they are standing, then die on the spot. I spent a lot of time doing this while queuing for warzones late at night. It tends to confuse the person you interceded to a lot.

Quote: Originally Posted by DrillThrall View Post
So, is there anything at all in the game that mitigates falling damage?
Actually, there is, but it's awkward to do. If you accept a warzone invite while in mid air, when you leave the WZ, you'll end up standing on the ground below where you accepted it. This may seem fairly useless at first, but it's allowed me to reach and wander around the 'bottom' of the outer ring of the fleet without dying.

Arlanon's Avatar


Arlanon
01.20.2012 , 08:03 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Khabarach
You do indeed take the fall damage. You can test this easily with intercede actually. Start from the VIP area in the fleet, jump off and intercede someone when you get close to the bottom. You'll actually move horizontally to where they are standing, then die on the spot. I spent a lot of time doing this while queuing for warzones late at night. It tends to confuse the person you interceded to a lot.
I've been trying to get petitioned for "attacking same side players on the station" but so far no luck