Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kitar
05.17.2019 , 03:44 PM | #6221
Look who is actually on time!!

Have a new Prompt!
Week of May 17, 2019:

What is your Quest: A staple of video games and stories alike. In the most epic versions your character must retrieve/destroy an incredible artefact, thus demonstrating their worth and saving the world. A more mundane quest might be to get herbs from the neighbor’s garden…who happens to be a witch. Perhaps enough pig livers to make a pie…strangely, not every pig has a liver. This week, send your character on a quest. What are they doing and how will they get there? A quest can be an entire book or only one small part. Likewise, your story could detail the full quest, beginning to end, or one small but significant event during it.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Folk Tales: All cultures have folk tales–the stories people tell each other. The ones everyone knows, or knows a version of. They may be written down, or they may only be told around the campfire, the coffee pot, or in the chatroom. They may be cautionary tales, stories of heroism, or horror. Modern urban legends fall in this category. What ones does your character know? Where did they hear them? Which ones do they share and why? Let your character be the storyteller this week.

Technology - One of the great things about sci-fi is the futuristic technology. Star Wars boasts all kinds of innovations, from droids, tracking beacons, tractor beams, super lasers, lightsabers, blasters, and omnipresent (or not?) links to the Holonet. Some technologies date from ancient races, and their secrets are forgotten; some new technologies are just in the prototyping and testing stage; some are deployed on every street corner. Write about your character’s’ experiences with the tech of Star Wars.

Feldraeth
05.26.2019 , 06:48 AM | #6222
Prompt: What is your quest?, Family
Title Pride & Petulance
Perspective: Roan, The Littlest Sith
Word Count: 1,292
Chronology: set immediately before these two stories

Spoiler

Kitar
05.28.2019 , 10:52 AM | #6223
Howdy Feldraeth

I do apologuise, I honestly thought I did this one on Friday.

Sorry for being late this week.
Here is the new prompt.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of May 24, 2019:

Under My Skin: Something latches on to your character and won’t let go. What is it? An idea they can’t stop thinking about? An offhand comment by another they keep mulling over? A slight, real or imagined, that wont quit ruining their day? A person who fascinates them–or drives them crazy? A literal parasite they picked up and really ought to have looked at?

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

The Story So Far - Step back for a moment to consider our universes. Write a summary for your characters, storyline, or entire universe as you would introduce them to a beginner.

What Goes Around Comes Around: If the Golden Rule is “treat others how you wish to be treated” then this is what happens when you don’t. Cheaters will be cheated, liars lied to, and bullies bullied. Write about a time when your character’s behavior came back to bite them, or when they had an opportunity to visit retribution on someone who wronged them.

Kitar
06.01.2019 , 07:30 AM | #6224
Howdy everyone,

If I do remember correctly this is the thread's 6th birthday. Well yesterday was, so happy birthday!

I have remembered to post the prompt before heading down to catch a ball game for my kiddo's b-day

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of May 31, 2019:

Games: Cards? Dice? Board? Ball? Video? Games of chance, games of skill, physical games as individuals or teams. Quiet pastime games, crowd-entertainment spectacles. Coliseums, pitches, dining room tables. Games for all ages, games for children, games for adults. Sentient species everywhere play all kinds of games and for various reasons. There could be no lasting repercussions, or it could be deadly. This week, make a game or its outcome important in your story.

Fashion - Most of our characters wear clothes. Do they follow fashion? Set it? Actively offend it? Are they more collars and cuffs or sweats and monkey-lizard slippers? What’s their favorite thing to wear, what have they saved for years even if they don’t fit into it, and what would they love to wear if they could just find the occasion for it? Write about your character’s clothing and how they relate to it.

Recurring Nightmares: An actual nightmare, one that isn’t real? Or a real nightmare situation occurring over and over? Write your character in a recurring nightmare this week. Or a recurring dream, if you’d prefer. Interpret the prompt as literally or loosely as you like.

Feldraeth
06.09.2019 , 12:45 PM | #6225
Hey Kitar and everyone,

After realising that the last story i posted has already been posted, i've sat down & written two more from new ideas.

Prompt: Fashion, Shopapalooza
Title: The New Look
Perspective: Lucida, Jedi Pureblood
Word Count: 2041
Spoilers: JK Coruscant storyline, general information about the third area of Coruscant
Spoiler

I've delayed posting this next one for about a week, given the nature of it. Well, I've fiddled with it enough, so here goes.

Prompt: Under Your Skin, Recurring Nightmares
Title: To Share A Nightmare
Perspective: Vette, Twi’lek Adventurer
Word Count: 1,791
Chronology: set in transit to Balmorra

Warning: this piece contains partial and total nudity, mild sexual peril, and gore

Spoiler

Kitar
06.10.2019 , 07:39 AM | #6226
@ Feldraeth, It happens to he best of us, I swear! At least you have been able to write. I have had diddly squat for inspiration lately.

I do like the prompts though, maybe some spark of an idea will happen.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of June 7, 2019:

Reports of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: Our characters lead dangerous lives. They’re sent on missions they’re not expected to survive. They’re gone for long periods of time and no one hears from them. They may have alternate identities or roles they don’t want to (or can’t) let loved ones know about. Sometimes reporting agencies get events wrong. Sometimes people make assumptions. Comic books aren’t the only places where death isn’t necessarily permanent. Write about a time when your character was declared dead but wasn’t and the complications that ensued, or when a close associate (enemy? !!) comes back to life after everyone believed they were gone for good.

Altered States of Mind - Unlike dreaming, some altered states of mind happen while you’re wide awake and definitely doing things that affect the real world. Lots of things may affect the consciousness, from aggression-inducing biological agents to hypnotic music to spice to plain old alcohol. Write about your character’s experience with an altered state of consciousness. Was it fun or scary? Did it lead them to do something they always wished they could? Or was it more regrettable?

Guessing Games: Twenty Questions. Animal, vegetable, or mineral? I Spy. What do I have in my pocket? Guessing games and riddle contests are at least as old as language. Today they’re children’s games, played to pass the time while waiting or traveling. But they’re also ways of challenging your perceptions and seeing through someone else’s eyes. This week, engage in a guessing game with your character or their companions.

Kitar
06.18.2019 , 02:26 PM | #6227
*hangs head in shame* I forgot to post this. I am not the best at the job. I am sorry guys n gals :/
Better late than never I suppose.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of June 14, 2019:

You’re My Only Hope: It is your character’s most desperate hour. They (and possibly their friends or organization) need help. The kind of help they can only get from one person, and they’re not at all certain they’ll get it. How do they convince the person to aid them? What kind of help is it? Why do they need it and why is this other person so special? What happens if your character fails to recruit them? Is their help really that crucial? Do they end up a liability afterward?

Children - we’ve had Parenthood, now look at it from another perspective: your characters may have kids or want them. What kids do they meet? Do their kids play nice together? What do their kids want and how do your adult characters help or hinder?

The Sure Bet - Sometimes things just fall into place, and the goal is in easy reach just an action or two away. Sometimes there’s a choice between long odds and a safe bet. Or sometimes a surefire proposition walks right up and make an offer. Write about your characters’ experience with a sure bet. Did it turn out the way they expected?

Feldraeth
06.21.2019 , 12:00 PM | #6228
Hey Everyone

Look, I’m finally posting the conclusion to one of the multi-parters, this one dating from around April/May 2016… Here are the earlier parts in case you wanted to read them first and try to remember what happened. Maybe I’ll get onto writing some of those other multi-part stories and finishing them off... a few years late. Anyway, without further ado.

Prompt: You’re My Only Hope, Children
Title: Settling Debts Part III
Perspective: Vette, Twi’lek Adventurer
Word Count: 6,077
Chronology: early Balmorra
Spoilers: mentions of Balmorra planetary questline, pervasive spoilers of the Heroic settling debts
Warning: some gore present

Spoiler

Author Notes
Spoiler

Kitar
06.22.2019 , 11:05 AM | #6229
@ Feldraeth
Spoiler

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of June 14, 2019:

You’re My Only Hope: It is your character’s most desperate hour. They (and possibly their friends or organization) need help. The kind of help they can only get from one person, and they’re not at all certain they’ll get it. How do they convince the person to aid them? What kind of help is it? Why do they need it and why is this other person so special? What happens if your character fails to recruit them? Is their help really that crucial? Do they end up a liability afterward?

Children - we’ve had Parenthood, now look at it from another perspective: your characters may have kids or want them. What kids do they meet? Do their kids play nice together? What do their kids want and how do your adult characters help or hinder?

The Sure Bet - Sometimes things just fall into place, and the goal is in easy reach just an action or two away. Sometimes there’s a choice between long odds and a safe bet. Or sometimes a surefire proposition walks right up and make an offer. Write about your characters’ experience with a sure bet. Did it turn out the way they expected?

Kitar
06.30.2019 , 08:51 PM | #6230
Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I have a prompt for you all.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of June 28, 2019:

Vulnerable: Our characters aren’t always in charge of everything. Everyone has weak spots. Everyone gets In difficult situations. Consider a time when your character was vulnerable in some way. Physically– maybe they’re a prisoner. Emotionally–a loved one or dear friend took advantage of them. Spiritually–they discovered the universe doesn’t really work the way they were taught. Even the least introspective character has vulnerabilities. Peek through a gap in your character’s armor and find a story.

Surprises: Presents! Visitors! Jumpscares! Life is full of surprises, good and bad. Everyone deals with them differently and so should your characters. One’s spontaneous vacation is running away from responsibility for another. One’s silly practical joke is another’s anxiety attack. Likewise, the surprise party might be weeks in the planning. Write about your character surprising another, or being surprised, and the fallout or preparation for it.

Congratulations/Awards - Sometimes everything goes right, and sometimes our characters are recognized for it. Write about a time your character received an award or congratulations. Do they feel they earned it? Did it make a positive difference for others?