Medals ,How to earn them ?

overunitee

Hello everyone,

I wonder if experienced PVP players can help me out ,I never liked pvp in other games but love it in this game ,which really surprised me .

I cannot seem to find an explanaition of how exactly you earn the medals .

I have seen comments that if you can't get 4 medals you are a noob .

I have done matches were I have played really hard against an organised team and got none or say 3 medals .

If I could get some help understanding what exactly gets you the medals in the different Warzones at least I could focus more .

At the moment focusing on winning can net you zero points were as camping a capped node can earn you gear quicker .

Here is the list I would like to update with any advice from the skilled PVPers to hopefully help us new to pvp and encourage more to attempt it .

Dauntless I - 10 Minute Victory

Dauntless II - 9 Minute Victory

Dauntless III - 8 Minute Victory

Dauntless IV - 7 Minute Victory

Dauntless V - 6 Minute Victory

Dauntless VI - 5 Minute Victory

Demolisher - 2.5k Damage Single hit

Annihilator - 5K damage from a single attack

Combatant - 75k Damage Dealt

Destroyer - 300k Damage Dealt

Commando - 10 Kills

Soldier - 25 Kills

Quick Draw - 1 Killing Blow

Assassin - 1 Solo Kill

Healer - 75k Healed

Savior - 300k Healed

Medic - 2.5k Single Heal

Trauma Surgeon - 5k Single Heal

Ok the above I understand .

But what exactly do you do in each Warzone to get the ones below

Shield - 5k Defense

Protector - 50k Defense

Guardian - 2k Defense in 1 Life

Paladin - 10k Defense in 1 Life

Offense Basic - 1k Attacker Points

Offense Bronze - 3k Attacker Points

Offense Silver - 5k Attacker Points

Offense Gold - 7.5k Attacker Points

Offense Platinum - 10k Attacker Points

Offense Diamond - 15k Attacker Points

Defense Basic - 1k Defender Points

Defense Bronze - 3k Defender Points

Defense Silver - 5k Defender Points

Defense Gold - 7.5k Defender Points

Defense Platinum - 10k Defender Points

Defense Diamond - 15k Defender Points

Any tactics or videos with commentary on how you achieve these medals in the various warzones would be great .

All the videos I watched show the objectives but none explaining how the rewards are earned .

Up to now the only reason I went from earning 2 or 3 medals to earning 6 to 10 is by getting better gear as I don't think I play much different .

Shield - 5k Defense

Protector - 50k Defense

Guardian - 2k Defense in 1 Life

Paladin - 10k Defense in 1 Life

The Medals above are gained pretty much by tank classes. Guard/taunt or anything that reduces dmg against other players. Im not so sure if sorc/sage bubble counts towards this.

Offense Basic - 1k Attacker Points

Offense Bronze - 3k Attacker Points

Offense Silver - 5k Attacker Points

Offense Gold - 7.5k Attacker Points

Offense Platinum - 10k Attacker Points

Offense Diamond - 15k Attacker Points

These medals are gained by attacking imp/republic controlled points, OR passing the ball/scoring in hutball

Defense Basic - 1k Defender Points

Defense Bronze - 3k Defender Points

Defense Silver - 5k Defender Points

Defense Gold - 7.5k Defender Points

Defense Platinum - 10k Defender Points

Defense Diamond - 15k Defender Points

These are for defending Your control points, In civil war if your standing by a turret that your faction controlls it will say in chat +500 defender points etc etc etc. I think you may also get it for killing the ball handler in Huttball - but im not too sure on that.

thats pretty much it. IF you play as vanguard/powertech/shadow/assassin always use your taunts as much as possilble. esp if you see people hitting your healers - and guard if your tank spec.

Control points/attack points etc etc etc

Or if your class has heals - throw them on other players if needed etc.

OR defend a turret for a whole game that should pretty much give you 8

If I was on my laptop instead of phone I would link a pretty lengthy description I put in someone else's thread called pvp for dummies, but ill give you a quick hit for it and edit in pieces from that other post tommorrow if I remember.

Basically while many (damage, healing, etc.) Are self evident the attack defense ones operate as bit differently. Basically fighting in the vicinity of a node (door, turret, bunker) slowly accrues attacker points while you get large sums for actively taking said bunker/turret or planting a bomb.

Defensive points accrue being in the vicinity of said nodes whether they are actively being attacked or not

Sometimes defensive ones can be a little wink that may help to sew confusion (the same fighting in the same proximity to a door in voidstar can yield a medals worth of difference in defender points sometimes).

Huttball is far simpler, pass the ball or score the ball for attacker, kill the ballcarriers or someone deep in your side of the map for defender

Brilliant replies thankyou for the help .

Please post the long link I like to research all the possibilities and strategies just like boss killing in pve .

Alrighty here goes Some of it is a bit heavy on the very basics as it was from a newcomer thread but has some good info mixed in

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=458835

Edited by paul_preib

thats pretty much it. IF you play as vanguard/powertech/shadow/assassin always use your taunts as much as possilble. esp if you see people hitting your healers - and guard if your tank spec.

Control points/attack points etc etc etc

Or if your class has heals - throw them on other players if needed etc.

OR defend a turret for a whole game that should pretty much give you 8

This is great just what I was looking for .

Could I ask how you get 15k defender points ,it just seems at 500 even if I stood there the whole game I would not get 15k ,or would I ?

Is there a way to boost defender points ?

Attacker points ,are they linked to damage ?

I have spent whole games attacking at an enemy controlled point and while I was getting killed a lot I did about 60,000 damage but got no medals at all .

Is there a range from the control point were you get the attack or defend points ?

Is it possible I was fighting to far away to get either defender or attacker points ?

I always give 100% of my ability to play as a team but If I help by freezing /stunning or Knockbacking from say ball carrier to help them get the ball to the goal ,I feel like My rewards can be very few or no medals but if i focus on killing randoms I get 6 medals for the damage and how many people I kill normally

Below you have a picture where I got a few medals:

http://i.imgur.com/OiHp5.jpg

How did I get them?

1. I used ventrillo with 4 of my guildies.

2. Put guard on my healer.

3. I stayed cloaked with blackout close to the door until the angry imps got in range of my aoe taunt. I hit that taunt and started the dance.

4. I never moved from the door with the healer sitting in a corner close to me so I can easily take the marauders off him and of course to be in range for my shield.

5. I used my taunts at all times making sure that the ones hitting my healer got the aoe taunt.

6. I pulled people, pushed people, stunned people.

7. I swapped my guard a few times to my main dps to help kill their healers. As soon as my healer would drop to 50% hp I would put my guard back.

8. Die as little as possible.

9. On attack, plant the bomb as fast as you can and you shall get points for that and a medal.

For defensive/offensive medals does anyone have a map for voidstar which shows the area for medals? I know they are centered around the doors, but how far out does the area extend.

Also if you are in the area for medals and attack someone outside the area does it count? Does it count for them?

I often sit near the doors but I see defenders standing back near the columns and I think they must be out of range for defensive medals.

Could I ask how you get 15k defender points ,it just seems at 500 even if I stood there the whole game I would not get 15k ,or would I ?

I have spent whole games attacking at an enemy controlled point and while I was getting killed a lot I did about 60,000 damage but got no medals at all .

Is there a range from the control point were you get the attack or defend points ?

Is it possible I was fighting to far away to get either defender or attacker points ?

I always give 100% of my ability to play as a team but If I help by freezing /stunning or Knockbacking from say ball carrier to help them get the ball to the goal ,I feel like My rewards can be very few or no medals but if i focus on killing randoms I get 6 medals for the damage and how many people I kill normally

To reach the 15K mark for defense points you would need a match to go almost the entire 15 minute length (at which point you lose out on the speedy win medals).

Attacker points are linked to capturing objectives. I do not believe there are any points awarded for killing defenders, but I could be wrong, I don't pay attention to objective points while combat is active and as a healer I don't get very many "kills".

Edited by Darth_Philar

My best advice from one noob to another is to play the objectives. defend the turrets/doors - kill ball carrier. It takes time to notice what you get awarded for but you will get the hang of it.

A lot can be found in the pvp guides on the forums here and have helped me a fair bit. Plus in game just ask for help i did and i am no longer a rambo death matcher and enjoy the war zones so much more.

1)defend the objectives - stop capping

2) try to cap and take objectives

3)help ball carrier/kill ball carrier - pass ball

learn to go in as a group not alone. pay attention and kill healers.

Stop killing each other no where near the objective turrets ect. you get very little reward for this.

Off the top of my head that is what i can think of.

Dont be put off and keep at it. try to get a guild to help or friends that are good pvp to help beyond basics.

Alrighty to itemize some of this

15k defender-- It doesn't happen often, but it is possible. There was one alderaan where left and right sides were capped but for about 80% of the match mid remained uncapped. Due to good healing I had only one or two deaths as a dpser so my uptime on that middle area was extremely high along with the game being protracted because it took so long for our side to finally secure that second node. Even after the fighting was constant there pretty much all the way to the end of the warzone.

By and large though you will usually be in the 7.5k-10k range most warzones.

Attacker Points-- Damage shouldn't have an impact as long as you are doing damage in an offensive area. Like defense the 'area of influence' aspect to it (i.e. not actual node caps/bomb plants/huttball passes) seem to be a bit flaky as you will notice a variance in how fast/often it accrues sometimes despite being in pretty much the same area doing the same thing for the same period of time.

At the end of the day the best approach for attacker/defender medals is to pursue the objectives and let them naturally accrue, overtly attempting to farm medals on both sides usually ends up with little ultimate benefit over actively pursuing objectives.

This is also why you will sometimes see 0 attacker points despite fighting in the offensive end. It also is more reliable the longer you are actively engaged. If you as a team are outmatched to where you last less than 30 seconds each time you run in, then no you are not going to get said attacker points.

Range from control points-- Again an inexact science, the safest approach would be

Alderraan-- Side turrets: be on the platform area and not the snow/grass, Middle turret-- Be on the ground in a radius based upon the distance of the two side walls.

Voidstar-- First door as your easiest boundary marker, be within proximity of the door generated by a frame outlined by the two pillars on the side to your right when exiting the defensive spawn.

Novarre-- A rough distance of the radius between the bunker and the dish near each bunker

These aren't exact, but give you a rough guideline. As a dps or tank class you will pretty much fall within the necessary distance for points without any attempts to do so from the natural progression of the fight, as a healer you may sometimes be positioned far enough away to not accrue points depending on how the battle is going that'd be the only style of play where you may be aware of it.

Difficulty accruing medals can be a bit class centric as well, if you are pure dps (sniper/gunslinger/sentinel/mara) for example then you don't have a few of those padding ones that a dps that can pop a heal, class that can guard, healer that can pop the occasional bit of dps padding, etc. can add.

I know my sorc. that is hybrid specced primarily for healing though can hit 6-8 medals without any thought of it. My sentinel on the other hand can end up with only 5-6 medals despite a very solid, winning match simply by virtue of the style of the class coupled with few 'padding' medals.

That said always err on the side of helping to achieve the objective. If a huttball match goes well for example I will oftentimes barely break that 75k damage level because I am spending my time using my centering stacks on transcendence (speed boost) instead of Zen (making my dots crit), using awe, force stasis, slows, leaps, etc. rather then just blatantly killing.

If I have a high damage total there it usually means things weren't going very well and the opposition had the ball far too often.

Likewise being willing to pop interrupts, harass that healer that is kiting you, use cooldowns on things like pacify, awe, and stasis and the like will chip away at my damage in a node-based (i.e. non huttball) match as well-- but done correctly will be far more important towards the win then just going for pure dps.

6 medals in a win still is worth more'n 8 in a loss, so go for the win when you can. If nothing else your teammates will be more likely to recognize and support you if you are seen as objective-centric.