Encouraging real-life death.

Fevee

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

Send in a report. Make sure to include the server you are on and the rough time and place and obviously the offending characters name.

Place the character on ignore and move on.

It is BW policy not to discuss or inform you of the actions they take so you will never know the outcome.

Do not engage the hostile player. Just put them on ignore and move on.

If they make another character/ jump to an alt to continue the harassment report/ ignore that one as well.

The internet has turned me into a bit of a cynic but even so it is rare to have someone say something so harsh without some opening exchange.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is BW policy not to discuss or inform you of the actions they take so you will never know the outcome.

That's not good enough. I want to know action has been taken, how else do I know BW didn't just shrug off my report? How do I know he's not still out there, being an all-round hamper to others' playing experience, as well. Even if he's not encouraging suicide on anyone else, he's proven to be too immature to be around other people.

Even with him on ignore, he still can emote in my vicinity, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who he's emoting to. Am I just supposed to log off/go somewhere else when he's around? Does he suddenly control where/when I play?

If not mistaken when you pull down to make a report there is a place for real-life death threats to report to BW.

You are Very Correct about that. If their is No Doubt in ur mind that a Said Player is intending to do something suicidal, etc. Then there is an Option on the /Report page that is for Real Life Suicidal and Death threats.

Use that option.

Unfortunately for some ppl this game is the only thing they have in their lives.

Edited by MandFlurry

IF someone is bothered by some anonymous loser on the internet then he should quit playing online games. I usually talk back and have fun from the frustration they fill the chat with, ecstatically trying grow their e-peen because in most cases such people don't have it easy in real life.

If you're not like me then just hit /ignore and don't even bother. Everything said on the internet between random people is never even half-serious. Like I said - people need to pour their real-life frustrations out somewhere and to be honest I'd rather have them to it with their keyboards instead of on the roads driving cars like jerks and loons.

Sure it's against the rules etc etc but CS rarely enforces them. Do you really think it's easy for few people working on tickets to reviews dozen thousands of similar reports daily?

Scamming is against the rules, too and easily falls under harassment as well. But they don't care. And so shouldn't you.

I do, however, find it extremely sad that barely anything is done to improve the environment and there are no precedents and deterrents for those few players to be aware of that they're going to get punished for the sake of friendly and fun environment. Bioware should really make harsh examples of people who scam and harrass. I find it extremely pathetic that they're punishing for "calling out" when someone posts videos/pictures of obvious cheaters and people making the game not enjoyable for others.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

You are Very Correct about that. If their is No Doubt in ur mind that a Said Player is intending to do something suicidal, etc. Then there is an Option on the /Report page that is for Real Life Suicidal and Death threats.

Use that option.

Unfortunately for some ppl this game is the only thing they have in their lives.

Call the Police or find another way to get law enforcement involved. If you don't call law enforcement wouldn't you be encouraging the behavior.

If you have a screen-shot of the chat, actually BioWare do take action. This clearly violates the terms of service and is part of the very rare issues with chat that they take seriously. So yes, you can do something about it, but you have to join a screen-shot, do it immediately, join date and time of the offense, as well as the usual, server, character names, context, which instance you were in etc so they can actually look-up the logs. But you have to be very precise about it.

Other stuff that they take action against are names. I recall some french guy on an English speaking server who thought it clever to name his character in french in an extremely offensive manner. He was forced to change name within 24 hours of the report.

I cant tell you how many times my mom/wife/daughter has been mentioned in nefarious talk. That being said, even as a kid growing up without the internet, I didn't run to the teacher to tell her johnny said I was a retard, but maybe times are changing. In a world of free speech, freedom from being offended just cant exist. Its words at the end of the day, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, imo. People can survive hurt feelings just fine... dwindling freedom of speech? Yeah, no thanks.

Actually it does. If there are consequences we aren't free to do it. I think what you might be looking for is freedom of speech does not mean freedom from critique or something?

By your logic, I can go into a busy airport and scream "Bomb!", for no other reason than because I can, without punishment, despite having wasted time for a great number of law enforcement and the like.

Oh wait, no I can't because I would be arrested. I can still say it, but I have to live with the consequence.

A person can spew racist/sexist crap all they want, but should not be offended when others get offended.

And if someone on the internet suggests someone else should "go and die" and it happens, that first person can be tried for murder in the US. We have precedence.

By your logic, I can go into a busy airport and scream "Bomb!", for no other reason than because I can, without punishment, despite having wasted time for a great number of law enforcement and the like.

Oh wait, no I can't because I would be arrested. I can still say it, but I have to live with the consequence.

A person can spew racist/sexist crap all they want, but should not be offended when others get offended.

And if someone on the internet suggests someone else should "go and die" and it happens, that first person can be tried for murder in the US. We have precedence.

Well with your logic, since we are doing that, we have the freedom of murder. The actual crime you are committing when screaming bomb or yelling fire into a crowd, would be something like instigating a riot or disturbing the peace or something, im not sure the actual name off hand. Same as you cant go yelling expletives in the streets, though you are completely free to say expletives, just not free to disturb the peace.

Edit: I think you are wrong on your last part too. One has to be proven to have intentionally manipulated the person to kill themselves. Maybe that has changed and one can now be convicted of murder for stating you think someone should go and die. be interesting to read that case you are referring to for precedence.

Edited by Bobs_YourUncle

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

you are being butt hurt and should just move on. they are words on the internet.

having said that, in some states/countries saying these things is a criminal offence.

Well with your logic, since we are doing that, we have the freedom of murder. The actual crime you are committing when screaming bomb or yelling fire into a crowd, would be something like instigating a riot or disturbing the peace or something, im not sure the actual name off hand. Same as you cant go yelling expletives in the streets, though you are completely free to say expletives, just not free to disturb the peace.

Edit: I think you are wrong on your last part too. One has to be proven to have intentionally manipulated the person to kill themselves. Maybe that has changed and one can now be convicted of murder for stating you think someone should go and die. be interesting to read that case you are referring to for precedence.

I was using your logic. And we do have the freedom to murder people. And then we have to live with the consequence (guilt, hiding the body, trials, etc.etc.)

I'm not a lawyer, I just remember that there was a huge trial some years back about someone online telling another person they should go off themselves.

I was using your logic. And we do have the freedom to murder people. And then we have to live with the consequence (guilt, hiding the body, trials, etc.etc.)

I'm not a lawyer, I just remember that there was a huge trial some years back about someone online telling another person they should go off themselves.

Yes, then I used yours. Anyways, bottom line is I don't share the opinion that speech should be against the law. Of course, charges can result from almost anything, but I don't think we have reached the point in the US where speech is against the law. Manslaughter, Murder, disturbing of the peace, those are against the law, speech is not that I know of. Anything resembling such is either A. not been challenged in court yet, or B. Such laws were ruled constitutional because they do not limit the freedom of speech itself, but it resulting directly in violation of other laws, i.e. instigating a riot. There was a case long ago about police of some level, city/county/state, arresting a guy for cussing that I read about and when the constitutionality of this law was challenged, the courts ruled that one can cuss, but cannot disturb the peace, so they changed the law. Its a grey area that I have no doubt some states/cities or even on the federal level, have made laws against the use of words, but that doesn't mean its constitutional or that it should be so. In any case, I have looked into it a bit and only found that speech itself is not against the law, nor can it be constitutionally, based on precedence, and so laws are carefully designed not to make any speech illegal specifically.

Edit: Let me clarify. By consequences, I mean against the law. Feeling bad about doing something you were free to do is not what I was referring to, but if that's what was intended by the use of the word "Consequences", I stand corrected. Everything comes with consequence of some sort, yes. I would never argue that BW/EA, or any company for that matter cant make rules against speech as a stipulation to partaking in their product and services. Just that its better if people toughen up, especially on the interwebz.

Edited by Bobs_YourUncle

This falls into the realm of Cyber Bullying and is a crime, dependent on the severity it can be a federal crime. If you report it they have a legal responsibility to follow up. If you feel strongly enough about the persons actions get an attorney involved and have them assist you in communicating with BW so that you can file charges.

If you feel that what I just described is too "extreme" for what you experienced, then your only other choice is to put the person on ignore and move on as another person who posted in this thread suggested.

Yes, then I used yours. Anyways, bottom line is I don't share the opinion that speech should be against the law. Of course, charges can result from almost anything, but I don't think we have reached the point in the US where speech is against the law. Manslaughter, Murder, disturbing of the peace, those are against the law, speech is not that I know of. Anything resembling such is either A. not been challenged in court yet, or B. Such laws were ruled constitutional because they do not limit the freedom of speech itself, but it resulting directly in violation of other laws, i.e. instigating a riot. There was a case long ago about police of some level, city/county/state, arresting a guy for cussing that I read about and when the constitutionality of this law was challenged, the courts ruled that one can cuss, but cannot disturb the peace, so they changed the law. Its a grey area that I have no doubt some states/cities or even on the federal level, have made laws against the use of words, but that doesn't mean its constitutional or that it should be so. In any case, I have looked into it a bit and only found that speech itself is not against the law, nor can it be constitutionally, based on precedence, and so laws are carefully designed not to make any speech illegal specifically.

Edit: Let me clarify. By consequences, I mean against the law. Feeling bad about doing something you were free to do is not what I was referring to, but if that's what was intended by the use of the word "Consequences", I stand corrected. Everything comes with consequence of some sort, yes. I would never argue that BW/EA, or any company for that matter cant make rules against speech as a stipulation to partaking in their product and services. Just that its better if people toughen up, especially on the interwebz.

I am not an attorney either, but I deal with Cyberbullying on a weekly basis and I can tell you, Directly from the mouth of my local Sheriff, telling someone that they should go kill themselves is, most definitely cyber bullying and will result in charges when the person who made the statement is able to be identified.

Speech isn't against the law, telling someone that they should commit suicide is. If you have a question about that go to your local police station and ask them.

Edited by RiVaN_

Whether or not telling someone to go die qualifies as "free speech" is irrelevant. The right to free speech (at least in the US) does not apply to privately owned games, fora or other media, and BW/EA have set certain Rules of Conduct for these venues.

Where the free speech issue might come into play is if the incident is actually escalated to law enforcement. At that point we'd see whether cyberbulllying laws apply in this case.

Edited by SelinaH

I am not an attorney either, but I deal with Cyberbullying on a weekly basis and I can tell you, Directly from the mouth of my local Sheriff, telling someone that they should go kill themselves is, most definitely cyber bullying and will result in charges when the person who made the statement is able to be identified.

Speech isn't against the law, telling someone that they should commit suicide is. If you have a question about that go to your local police station and ask them.

I find that very hard to believe, but given I'm not one to go around telling people they should kill themselves, I cant be bothered to inquire about it. Pretty sad if it is, and the implications alarming. Cussing was against the law at one point too, somewhere. Im glad the supreme court ruled that law unconstitutional. Anyways, I believe the only things that should be against the law is speech threatening harm to another or another intention to violate another's rights. One day, I will wake up and wont be able to say I think someone is a moron because if that person heard/read it and then went and offed themselves, I could be arrested. Sigh...

I find that very hard to believe, but given I'm not one to go around telling people they should kill themselves, I cant be bothered to inquire about it. Pretty sad if it is, and the implications alarming. Cussing was against the law at one point too, somewhere. Im glad the supreme court ruled that law unconstitutional. Anyways, I believe the only things that should be against the law is speech threatening harm to another or another intention to violate another's rights. One day, I will wake up and wont be able to say I think someone is a moron because if that person heard/read it and then went and offed themselves, I could be arrested. Sigh...

Calling someone a name ("moron" in your example) maybe cyber bullying, but IMHO, not something people should get in a tizzy over.

Telling someone "you should just die" or something is not the same thing as calling someone a moron.

That was my logic from the start, and I believe the logic a few other posters are using.

Edit:

My definition of consequences is " anything that comes as a result of an earlier action, ranging from emotional feeling ("feeling bad"), to being grounded and sent to your room, to jail time, fines, and in extreme cases the death penalty (as this point and time, some places still use it, not that cyberbullies should be put to death, that's another topic entirely)." So my definition was just a broader one from yours.

Edited by LyraineAlei

Calling someone a name ("moron" in your example) maybe cyber bullying, but IMHO, not something people should get in a tizzy over.

Telling someone "you should just die" or something is not the same thing as calling someone a moron.

That was my logic from the start, and I believe the logic a few other posters are using.

But its all based on your opinion. I actually find them both to be equal. Both words, intended to offend another. I cant rationalize making one punishable by law and the other not since I don't think we have a right not to be offended. What would happen to "yo momma" jokes??? I don't want to live in a world without "yo momma" jokes.:(

But its all based on your opinion. I actually find them both to be equal. Both words, intended to offend another. I cant rationalize making one punishable by law and the other not since I don't think we have a right not to be offended. What would happen to "yo momma" jokes??? I don't want to live in a world without "yo momma" jokes.:(

Exactly...it's all based on opinion and your environment. I don't do it on this message board, or in gen chat in game because imo ppl to sensitive. But around MY friends and family, I'll tell em "kill yo self" in a heartbeat. Because THEY understand when I say it I don't ACTUALLY mean for them to go do it. Were I'm from it's got the same meaning as telling someone to "go jump in the lake". OUR definition would be THIS...