Smuggler, which advanced class suits me?

Bromlin

Hi there,

with 3.0 being online for some time now I decided to return to SWToR for a while.

For now, I'd like to start with a freshly created smuggler char for story/style reasons.

Problem is, I can't decide which advanced class suits my playing best. I will be solo questing for pretty much all of the time, and I play SWToR mainly for the story. I've had my share of MMO grouping/raiding in other games and this is not what I came here for - that's just for exploring, questing, enjoying the SW atmosphere and see what's happening.

I've previously played a Gunslinger to mid-level, but that was before 2.0, and I suspect the class has changed much since then. I can remember healing classes like the Scoundrel were much easier to play solo in those days and the Gunslinger was giving me a hard time then. I'd like to be able to solo at least the h2 missions, maybe even the easer h4 ones when I'm 4-5 levels ahead.

Please give me your thoughts, thanks!

IMO Scoundrel for being able to use stealth to sneak past mobs whenever you want/if they are too difficult for you.

I basically only play SOLO leveling and unranked warzones and stealth classes are the most fun for me because i get bored of fighting mob after mob on my own it's nice to just stealth past the trash sometimes.

I thought about this, too, plus the scoundrel's healing abilities seem to make the right choice.

But afaik the scoundrel fails miserably in AoE situations, and especially since 3.0 the killing speed seems to be slow, too. Hard choice. :)

I thought about this, too, plus the scoundrel's healing abilities seem to make the right choice.

But afaik the scoundrel fails miserably in AoE situations, and especially since 3.0 the killing speed seems to be slow, too. Hard choice. :)

Scrapper's single target damage is high enough for solo questing that you'll most likely be one-shotting several standard mobs a fight, so it won't be too bad. That, and you have plenty of tools to stay alive during those fights, or you can just completely skip them.

Ruffian has decent AOE, although it's "slower" damage because it's DoT damage.

I love my scrapper. On Corellia, I stealth through the Heroic-4 mission and fight exactly two foes (one for a key to let me into the area to fight the final boss). True, my AoE is pretty weak but also as noted above, it's not something I generally miss. Opening from stealth, I basically destroy one foe immediately (shotgun to the kidneys!) and then DoT one foe (that my Companion then attacks, usually) and then I start throwing fists around and kicking groins. :D

I HAVE some healing abilities, but they are so minor I relegate them to a side bar and usually forget to use them (or realize my energy.time would be better spent finishing the fight ASAP).

All that said, my sniper (the gunslinger equivalent) can pretty much squat down and rain blasterfire over an entire area and just melt everything before they see her. She is much LESS successful against single powerful targets (especially ones that love to melee). And I miss stealth with her, so it's a tradeoff.

Well, I just hit level 10 and I decided to go for Gunslinger/Sabo. You almost got me into choosing Scrapper, but I always played ranged classes in MMOs, and considering this I thought I wouldn't end as a happy scrapper ;)

Cheers

Darn I got here too late. I would have suggested going scoundrel. I think scoundrels and operatives fit their respective stories better. Plus in solo questing scoundrels are hands down better than slingers. That said you will have fun with both. Just make sure to make an operative when you do the imp side. They have a better story than the smuggler.

Darn I got here too late. I would have suggested going scoundrel. I think scoundrels and operatives fit their respective stories better. Plus in solo questing scoundrels are hands down better than slingers. That said you will have fun with both. Just make sure to make an operative when you do the imp side. They have a better story than the smuggler.

Yeah class play style definatly works better for the scoundrel and operative a lot of quests for the agent just don't fit with the sniper imo because there is no ranged fighting in any cut scenes and such it's a lot of melee scrums and close quarters fighting

Ah well. After reading through some scoundrel/scrapper guides and postings, I got the impression that he's much like the typical MMO-rogue char with sneaking and backstabbing, which is a playstyle I never was too fond of. Also, the scoundrel seems to be a class that is not very easy and relaxing to play, regardless of what he's capable of if played well. Not?

Ah well. After reading through some scoundrel/scrapper guides and postings, I got the impression that he's much like the typical MMO-rogue char with sneaking and backstabbing, which is a playstyle I never was too fond of. Also, the scoundrel seems to be a class that is not very easy and relaxing to play, regardless of what he's capable of if played well. Not?

The middle tree of scoundrel/operstive are the sneaky stealth burst classes. Scoundrels feel less cloak and dagger though because they shoot people in the back with a shotgun and then punch the crap out of people. I think they are pretty easy to play, but you have to get used generating tactical advantage/upperhand and using them.

Yeah, I'd argue that gunslinger will be more relaxing to play for the story. You can just grab a tank companion (Corso or Bowdaar) send them in, and then just sit in the back and pew pew stuff til everything's dead.

As a scoundrel, you'd be running around all over the place and trying to get behind targets and stuff, it's more challenging, but not the best playstyle if you just want a class you can sit back and chill with.

Well, one caveat ---- scoundrel IS more relaxing and easy in one regard: you can just turn on stealth and go grab a sammich and not worry about getting killed while you're away from the screen. Also handy for avoiding adds and generally planning the fight you want to fight. Just last night I was fighting a group and saw an LT strolling our way. I backed off the last foe and shot him (so that's what this pistol is for! Not just a knuckle-guard after all!)... and then Stealthed in time to avoid fighting the LT... until I was ready to do so.

I don't remember if the Sniper/Gunslinger get it, but my Scoundrel also ~loves~ Disappearing Act. Basically lets you hit a button to say, "NOPE!" and stop the fight and get away scot-free. :)

EDIT: Typo, and also I just realized there's no way Sniper/Gunslinger get Disappearing Act since they have no stealth whatsoever. :)

Edited by Sorpaijen

• 1 year later...
Sabo-Slinger what is that? :eek:

Saboteur Gunslinger. Saboteur is the so called single target aoe discipline. Meaning it has both amazing aoe and decent single target. Arguably the best spec for open world content (Sharpshooter is also not bad). Imo the most fun out of all 3 and the hardest out of all 3 due to tight energy management.