Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Change back the changes!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Change back the changes!

Sappharan's Avatar


Sappharan
10.10.2020 , 11:48 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I agree with the reasons for the changes, just not what they implemented as its too draconian in both aspects.

1. To incentivise winning more than number crunching, they could have adjusted the ratio of win : loss points from 2:1 to 3:1 or 4:1. That way people would still have a reason to try to win, but wouldnt feel like they arent progressing their daily/weekly if they keep getting bad teams (from no fault of their own).

Constantly losing and not progressing is a massive turn off, especially when you have no control over a pug team if you queue solo (not everyone wants to premade and should not be penalised if they choose not to).

2. Another thing they could do is to remove the score board dmg/heal/protection stats from public view. They could still show kills, objective points and medals on the board while keeping the other stats private so only the player can see their own stats.

3. Increasing the rewards for winning or for the amount of medals you get would also be more of an incentive to win.

Add all three of these changes and there is a lot of incentive to win more than farming numbers.

I also agree that 15mins lockout is too long. But I think 5 mins is too short because the wait between some matches is only 5 mins and wouldnt be a deterrent. I would propose it being 10 mins or at the minimum, 8 minutes.
I almost always agree with your posts.

JJKerryee's Avatar


JJKerryee
10.10.2020 , 07:16 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Nickodemous View Post
First, the second part of that was not directed towards you.

PVP is about winning, not about just participating, I am perfectly fine with the current state. These changes have not affected the community in the least, at least from my experience.
You cannot claim the changes haven't affected the community just bc you haven't experienced it. I certainly have experienced longer queues and not a significant improvement in matches. (Not that I found them significantly lacking in quality before.)

Quote:
Also, I just don't see how the weekly has anything to do with whether or not a new person will pvp or not.
Quite Simple. Let's imagine a likely scenario. You're a new player (still learning your class, don't know maps), don't have a special love for PVP, just want to try it out. You lose 4 times in a row. What do you have to show for your hard work, these days? An empty daily, an empty weekly, and a few adrenals. Do you think someone in this situation is likely to come back to PVP any time soon? This isn't something out of the ordinary either, SWTOR gets a lot of casual players, and these players are a substantial part of the PVP community too.

Quote:
The quality has most certainly improved.
I thought the changes hadn't affected the community in the least?

Quote:
You make it sound like every match is trash now when that is just not the case.
This statement is just false, I even said I never noticed a big number of "mindless" matches before the changes, so why would I complain about that now? My point has always been about the cost vs benefit of these changes and how I don't feel they are worth it unless they are incentivized with at least better rewards. What "you are experiencing now" doesn't even make any sense. Why would people actually try to take things more seriously and compete more just so they could do a weekly that is not only more difficult to complete but also has the same trash rewards? Boggles the mind.

Quote:
Just an observation: Matches are very different on the two US servers. SF - seems to be all or nothing. SS - much more competitive. SF has a lot more lopsided matches vs SS. I guess it because most of the new players have flocked there.
I wouldn't know. I'm not on any of those servers. Perhaps that is the reason we have such different experiences.
Use my referral link, you know you want to: http://www.swtor.com/r/qb2Ygz And we both get good things!
Retreat is not weakness, it is strategy.

Alericus's Avatar


Alericus
10.10.2020 , 08:33 PM | #93
One thing I could suggest, if playing regs and you aren't fully geared at level 75 ie 306, no rewards for loss.

Perhaps consider too if no kills no rewards either, the real problem is the number of afk and undergeared players who play to be either carried or just helping their buds on the other side. Now the issue is those who are actively playing but say defending, Im not sure how best to not punish that, perhaps he/she who caps and defends gets the loss point

If BW would consider this Id accept a change back. Otherwise we are just back where we started where a lot of the whining are the afk players who just trying to pve via pvp. Im plain sick of it and wish this was just not tolerated by anyone
Alaricus
"Through Strength I Gain Power!"

SeCKSEgai's Avatar


SeCKSEgai
10.10.2020 , 11:42 PM | #94
3 years ago if you pugged it (like going solo) even if you knew you were going to lose there was at least SOME incentive to put forth some effort. I mean a lot of the time it was as simple as one side had healing...

Coming back now, its definitely not like I remember. Maybe the population dropped severely, I dunno. But, I do remember it used to be pretty common place to see plenty of people in the pvp section on fleet. Definitely not the case now.
Riyn - Maryss - Rlnd - Mony - Retrocide - Reiy

Rlentless - Reyn - Rlad - Ttiana

SeCKSEgai's Avatar


SeCKSEgai
10.11.2020 , 03:55 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Opiklo View Post
all you people who are complaining soooo hard about premades:

what do you think happens, when you split those guys up?

a) they get on the same team anyway and nothing changes
b) they get on seprate teams and play super competitive and fair
or
c) they get on seprate teams and have a "pact of honor" where they dont attack each other
d) they are just tunneling each other to mess with their friends

i can tell you that b) is the most unlikely scenario...

if you are solo player going to war you should not expect to win. its the same in any group based game.
even if you are not q'ing together you may see a friend of yours in your team ,you know on which TS / discord they are and suddenly there isnt a premade, but still the people are in voice com and they are kicking your butt because they coordinate their assault...

to remove the win requirement only leads to mindless deathmatches, as people who care about their rewards have only little incentive to actually try to win.

i think the incentive for winning is still too low.
they should add a type of pvp currency which allows you to buy operation locked gear (apex predator etc)
you only get it if you win and you actually get useful stuff
this would lead to a lot of skilled nim raiders flooding the q and actually playing for the win.

i personally dont care about finishing my weeklies or dailies as i dont get anything useful from them.
hence why i barely play pvp anymore. if i play its for ***** an giggles. that doesnt mean i am not trying to win.
i just like winnnin


a lot of the people who complain they cant win for 6 hours straight have to question themselves, if it really isnt their fault. because i know no one who has such bad bad luck.
If the basis of your argument is not to play as a solo player, you're literally asking for the death of pvp.
You're essentially expecting every participant to be part of some raid group (except for pvp). Have you ever setup a raid? Finding people for roles, making sure everyone has there gear, making sure everyone's ready, making sure people aren't afk attending to life stuff....

I've won and lost pvp in premades, pugs and solo - but if I only participated by going through all the prep of having a dedicated group - I would have never entered the arena.
Riyn - Maryss - Rlnd - Mony - Retrocide - Reiy

Rlentless - Reyn - Rlad - Ttiana

Nickodemous's Avatar


Nickodemous
10.12.2020 , 12:03 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by JJKerryee View Post
I wouldn't know. I'm not on any of those servers. Perhaps that is the reason we have such different experiences.
Agreed.

My experience this week:

SF - completed the weekly on 3 characters. It blows my mind how populated that server is at times. At one point, this past Saturday, there were 6-7 fleets open.

SS - completed the weekly on 3 characters. SS is a little smaller population wise, normally at peak times there are 2 - maybe 3 fleets open.

So yes, we may be comparing apples to oranges.
Tyranticus - Ty'zor - Maullin - Clandestu - Pepe'nero

The Elite Warlord Club - The PVP FAB FIVE

Amunra-amunray's Avatar


Amunra-amunray
10.15.2020 , 05:36 AM | #97
Quote:
This statement is just false, I even said I never noticed a big number of "mindless" matches before the changes, so why would I complain about that now? My point has always been about the cost vs benefit of these changes and how I don't feel they are worth it unless they are incentivized with at least better rewards. What "you are experiencing now" doesn't even make any sense. Why would people actually try to take things more seriously and compete more just so they could do a weekly that is not only more difficult to complete but also has the same trash rewards? Boggles the mind.
I couldn't agree more, but rewarding for loss should only be progression of the mission. Was fine when the weekly was 20 Warzones win or loss. Wins counting as two. But Wins only and not advancement of the quest. I can do 2 Vet FPs or Solo a Vet Uprising and get 3 times the awards from doing 1 winning warzone. No point to queuing warzones anymore...
"Do the Best and Spare the Rest!" Joe Pirandello
My Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/qYLGd9

ChaosIsGolden's Avatar


ChaosIsGolden
10.15.2020 , 08:50 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Amunra-amunray View Post
I couldn't agree more, but rewarding for loss should only be progression of the mission. Was fine when the weekly was 20 Warzones win or loss. Wins counting as two. But Wins only and not advancement of the quest. I can do 2 Vet FPs or Solo a Vet Uprising and get 3 times the awards from doing 1 winning warzone. No point to queuing warzones anymore...
This, I find it easier to run a quick vet fp because you get better rewards that make it worth the time and effort, and the fact that toxicity is rarer in PVE, is a nice bonus.

It's also why I've had a weekly warzone in my mission log for the past two months. I'll run a daily warzone whenever I feel like it, which with PVP's current state has shrunk to maybe once every two weeks or not even that. The Austin team needs to incentivize PVP, so newcomers have a reason to try out PVP and stick with it.

Fixing the rewards, so a loss counts towards weekly and daily would be a good start, but I'd also suggest adding in something else. Put out some unique armor or weapons, like the old war-hero sets you could get during 1.0.

Nikoru's Avatar


Nikoru
10.29.2020 , 07:21 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Shevaresh View Post
As a returning player myself, I completely agree with you. I used to enjoy (unranked) PvP, but now the win requirement just sucks the fun completely out of it. Before the change, getting a bad match-up and end up losing because of it, you could just "take it on the chin" and move on (or even have some fun) as you were still getting some progress.

Now with the "do or die", there truely isn't any incentive to play PvP, unless you're running a premade and focusing only on winning, rather than being able to enjoy some random shenanigans with a random group of people online.

I really don't get why unranked PvP has to be so "serious business", rather than a place to have fun and learn how to PvP? Do Bioware think this will somehow get people more engaged to PvP and/or more competitive, by making it less fun and punishing mistakes, rather than rewarding participation and having fun? Sure, for that small minority of very skilled players, for whom playing with anyone of less skill (on their own team) is painful, it's probably an awesome change. For those who aren't very skilled or play for other reasons than to become a PvP-legend, I really don't see any appeal in this change.
Totally same for me. Dont know why we must make a big mush about unranked pvps. Let the win factor on for Ranked pvp, which i totally fine. From 5 bgs, 3 are arena 4v4-s, where my team is always less than 4 people. How should i have fun if i already start with disadvantage?

Dimitir's Avatar


Dimitir
10.30.2020 , 04:30 AM | #100
with 3 fleets open you may at least get some wins or interesting matches due to the mass of people q-ing...
Now zoom in to Tulak Hord... prime time is one full fleet and a second one with 20 peeps max, sometimes not even one full fleet...
the names and MOs in pvp are always the same... you know that you will *********** lose, no matter how hard you try, because we have all the try.hards and number crushers usually against us... i (was) a high-frequency pvp-heal, fairly good,... since 6.1.4 i stopped q-ing ...
i have the weekly from two weeks ago still sitting at 8/10, unthinkable prior to 6.1.4... same with GSF which has even less players...c ombine that with servers who LOVE to disconnect you to the server list during the BG loading screen, blessing you with 15 mins lockout and you can imagine how fun PvP on TH is... it s not... at all...
no new players, ranked people flooding regs, because no one will list ranked or provide them with opponents... PVP the way it is for now, is dead... don t think i ll be resubbing since that was a major part of my swtor experience and now that this experience turned sour / has changed to an unpleasant experience ( DUE TO IMPLEMENTED CHANGES) there s really no need to stay subbed...

Horrible design decissions implemented amateurly... i won t be paying for any kind of not warranted, uncalled for punishment, that came out of the blue...
Instead of the long needed, demanded and sense-making WZ-choice button, we get... this... were you my dev-team... i d reprimanded one half and prolly let the other half go... no publisher would/should make / implement decissions that are not asked for, and make for a worse gaming experience for the customer... that was a really bad job actually