Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If lightning sorcs are supposed to be really strong, why are they garbage?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
If lightning sorcs are supposed to be really strong, why are they garbage?

BraverDre
09.06.2017 , 12:49 AM | #21
It is indeed weak. Madness needs a 4% buff for example.

starcckwalker
09.21.2017 , 01:22 AM | #22
I really wonder how you guys deal with good (i said good, like really good) fury maras / jugg as lightning sorcs. They are a nightmare for me. Personally i just run away, because i know i have absolute zero chance to survive, and I hope the mara decides it'll take too long for him to kill me, so that he gives up and goes back to mid. It works most of the time, but i can't kill a good fury mara / jugg on my own, it's just impossible. As soon as i get back to mid myself tho, and start to do good damage, melee dps's start to come at me, and i run away again. What do you guys do against good fury specs in wz's ?

ottffsse
09.21.2017 , 01:52 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by starcckwalker View Post
I really wonder how you guys deal with good (i said good, like really good) fury maras / jugg as lightning sorcs. They are a nightmare for me. Personally i just run away, because i know i have absolute zero chance to survive, and I hope the mara decides it'll take too long for him to kill me, so that he gives up and goes back to mid. It works most of the time, but i can't kill a good fury mara / jugg on my own, it's just impossible. As soon as i get back to mid myself tho, and start to do good damage, melee dps's start to come at me, and i run away again. What do you guys do against good fury specs in wz's ?
fury is the most annoying basically hope to get help or survive/delay if no help arrives - dueling one that is skilled is basically nigh impossible for lightning as their burst>your burst, their dcds> you dcds. you can try to keep over 10m distance from them but they will probably catch up and stun you sooner or later. that means usually kiting the mara somewhere strategically insignificant on the map and then phasewalk back to where you are useful and leaving the mara stranded alone in no-man's land. bonus points if there are terrain/walls/elevation issues which would make the mara waste a lot of time getting back to where he can do damage. hopefully that gives your team enough time to cap or kill.If you have the 45sec cd on phase walk you can usually rince and repeat - but I wish that would be a standard feauture of phase walk and not on a legendary utility point.

Hoppinswtor
09.21.2017 , 08:28 AM | #24
Fury maras/rage jugs shouldn't really lose to lightning sorcs, especially if they know what to avoid (thundering blast) and are quick to respond to phase walk. A sorc can make it competitive against vengeance though.

Fury with the right utilities has an answer for anything a sorc tries to do.
Hoppin, The Cutest Mercenary <Death Smile>
Hoppinator/Cutest Mercenary (Merc), Hoppin (Sorc), Hopposites (Mara), Hoptimal (Sin)
Hopalicious (Jugg), Hopperative (Operative), Hoptimize (PT)

timovdt
09.25.2017 , 03:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MacCleoud View Post
While the DPS may be lower than it should be, they are not garbage. Learn you priorities of you spells, and your stats. aigment your gear, if it isn't augmented, you shouldn't be complaining, if it is, make sure it is augmented properly. Make sure you have the right talents in your tree as well. While it may seem small, there are a couple of talents that make a huge difference in your DPS.

Learn the fights as well, mobility is something that tk sage/lightning sorc have in bursts. Know when you can use that mobility to your advantage. RNG sometimes plays a big part, but if done right, you can be mobile and hitting hard for 5-6 CDs at a time. Not being mobile crushes an already low amount of DPS.

you have some points there but you are missing one very big part : Sorc has bye far the worst mitigation in the game along with the most easy to disrupt burst in teh game needing 2 hardcast that take quite some time that can easly be stopped bye one interupt in pve they might be ok but in pvp evne if you play perfect every other spec and class in the game outprefroms you ine every other category and there mobilety is almost toatly negetated considering how easy it is to gapclose on them for mele since we dont ahve a caliber net or cover or rocket out to deal with them + adding on if you play ranked vs two mercs they can literly prevent you from ever using bubble since if you clear the first net with unleash the second merc can net you duiing the gcd and you still cannot bubble and this is realy not hard to do i have a near 80% succes ratio on this wiht my own merc who i only play as an alt + we are the only of the ranged burst specs dont play all the mele so dont know about them to have atleast 2 dots witch makes us a partial sustained spec since we do not ahve the samle flexivilety in target swaps and sutch as the other ranged burst so in that sence we should be higer then all the other ranged burst bye default

timovdt
09.25.2017 , 03:24 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by starcckwalker View Post
the best way to deal with them is to use line of sight agianst them slow them run around pillars use stunbubble talent but in theory any mara or sin that has half a clue what he's dooing or a jugg for that matter will demolish you not that there are that many decent mele out there since otherwise they whould not ***** so mutch about how mele is so hard comapred to ranged but yeah any halfdead monky on rage or fury or carnage will kill you jsut try and stick with your team ask for ofheals guards use line of sight use stunbubble and galv cleanse to peel put phase walk at spots they cannot leap to like behind the wal to gras or snow on alderaan alsu use the damdadge mitigation your agro drop it helps allot if you can manage to time it properly

timovdt
09.25.2017 , 03:34 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Koppster View Post
Mara/Sent have more tools to stay in your face and stop you hard casting than you have to keep them out of it. Saying it's a, "l2play" issue is disingenuous, considering the devs have seen fit to weight those fights so they're lopsided.

In the context of your example, sorcs are garbage, because only bad maras lose to a sorc.

Even if we were to take the stance that the current meta is that sages/sorc are back of the line artillery, it's a common fact that they are the 1st to be targetted in any wz, because they're practically free kills and even considering the uncommon incidents were a wz full of enemy players are somehow stupid enough to leave one standing there turreting, the damage is still crap compared to other ranged classes.
i msotly agree with you exept that our damadge isent bad its actuly good but our impatct damadge is rather low cosidering our main nuke his only a little bit harder then for example anhilate from a anhi mara witch is a sustained dps spec so even we can pad our numbers we cannot truly make a diffrence unles we setup aperfect burst witch can be counted bye most defensives in the game and every class cna atleast have one defensive or def stim up during your burst windows

timovdt
09.25.2017 , 03:42 PM | #28
They're just not that viable in ranked, sadly. Overall, they're harder to master than the other ranged classes currently due to their high-ish APM and the active nature of their defenses (rather than the passive nature of merc and sniper defensives). The margin for error is slim, and it's very easy to make a mistake during a polarity window and find yourself spamming lightning bolts too quickly.[/QUOTE]

its not only the apm that makes them harder then the other range its the fact that you need to prelan every part of the fight and anticipate the movement of both teams in order to be of any use to your team + needing more room then other ranged to deal with mele making them verry taing to play vs good players that hunt your phase walk and make correct use of thing like cal net and aoe stuns to nulllefy your allies