Accuracy - yes, I am a dumb dumb

Sappharan

Perhaps I am not the brightest bulb, but I always took PvP guides' recommendation for 105% accuracy to be just that, a recommendation. Evidently, experience has taught me that it is critical to achieve that rating.

Played a lot of games this evening, and I noticed something curious - my damage for attacks that *should* hit for at least 30k (I have hit for 50k with them) sometimes hit for 7k. Now, I am aware that taunting and tanking are factors to be considered, but that kind of reduction should not be possible. Or is it? I was thinking that with my accuracy so low (about 102.5% and yes, I do intend to get the required 105%) it was reducing the damage I was doing for my opponents. Is this true, or is there some other factor for which I am not accounting?

TLDR (it's short, so this should not be needed) Will a lack of accuracy that is recommended reduce the damage I do in PvP?

No. The only thing accuracy does is factor in for the roll between a hit or a miss/resist.

5% accuracy will decrease your chance to miss/get dodged/parried or resisted. But its either all damage or none of it.

And this is also what makes it so crucial. Because a little bit of accuracy can literally mean the difference between doing 30k damage in a GCD or doing 0.

Perhaps I am not the brightest bulb, but I always took PvP guides' recommendation for 105% accuracy to be just that, a recommendation. Evidently, experience has taught me that it is critical to achieve that rating.

Played a lot of games this evening, and I noticed something curious - my damage for attacks that *should* hit for at least 30k (I have hit for 50k with them) sometimes hit for 7k. Now, I am aware that taunting and tanking are factors to be considered, but that kind of reduction should not be possible. Or is it? I was thinking that with my accuracy so low (about 102.5% and yes, I do intend to get the required 105%) it was reducing the damage I was doing for my opponents. Is this true, or is there some other factor for which I am not accounting?

TLDR (it's short, so this should not be needed) Will a lack of accuracy that is recommended reduce the damage I do in PvP?

You're probably hitting into defensive cooldowns which provide damage reduction. Almost every class has some of these, and usually they have a very noticeable animation (saber ward, energy shield). Try not to use your big burst attacks into DCDs, and instead spam fillers or AOE until they run out. Sometimes there are DCDs that last so long that it's worth bursting into them because you'll have your burst back by the time they run out (notably: energy shield, adrenal, deflection, saber ward, ballistic shield). For these cases just try not to waste long offensive cooldowns like recklessness and laze target hitting into large damage reduction which will reduce their effectiveness.

And whether you should run 105 accuracy depends entirely on your class/spec. If you run MM sniper or carnage mara you may even want 110% accuracy. If you run concealment, lightning, madness, or AP, you more likely want zero accuracy. If you play something not listed then around 105 is usually optimal but 102.5 should be fine if you're careful with your big white damage attacks (they don't miss on stunned targets).

You're probably hitting into defensive cooldowns which provide damage reduction. Almost every class has some of these, and usually they have a very noticeable animation (saber ward, energy shield). Try not to use your big burst attacks into DCDs, and instead spam fillers or AOE until they run out. Sometimes there are DCDs that last so long that it's worth bursting into them because you'll have your burst back by the time they run out (notably: energy shield, adrenal, deflection, saber ward, ballistic shield). For these cases just try not to waste long offensive cooldowns like recklessness and laze target hitting into large damage reduction which will reduce their effectiveness.

And whether you should run 105 accuracy depends entirely on your class/spec. If you run MM sniper or carnage mara you may even want 110% accuracy. If you run concealment, lightning, madness, or AP, you more likely want zero accuracy. If you play something not listed then around 105 is usually optimal but 102.5 should be fine if you're careful with your big white damage attacks (they don't miss on stunned targets).

Great advice! Thank you! :)

Playing mostly Sentinel, Concentration. (I miss my Combat :( )

white damage attacks (they don't miss on stunned targets).

Miss they do. But in order to miss on a player your accuracy will have to be debuffed below 100% in one way or another.

Players cannot dodge or parry while under the effect of a stun. This is correct.

No. The only thing accuracy does is factor in for the roll between a hit or a miss/resist.

5% accuracy will decrease your chance to miss/get dodged/parried or resisted. But its either all damage or none of it.

And this is also what makes it so crucial. Because a little bit of accuracy can literally mean the difference between doing 30k damage in a GCD or doing 0.

you is about the only few..who actually understand importance of accuracy in PVP..all my toons have 110% (decpttion sin, carnage mara etc.)..missing a 30k damage in a gcd is crucial in some cases..especially in rank where killing people fast is priority..

i had people laugh saying why i have that much accuracy for PVP..i tell them..when target is at 10% hp..i'm on sin..i go for assisinate and it get resisted..then the target run off get healed and come back with help to kill me..because i was running 100% accuracy..

you is about the only few..who actually understand importance of accuracy in PVP..all my toons have 110% (decpttion sin, carnage mara etc.)..missing a 30k damage in a gcd is crucial in some cases..especially in rank where killing people fast is priority..

i had people laugh saying why i have that much accuracy for PVP..i tell them..when target is at 10% hp..i'm on sin..i go for assisinate and it get resisted..then the target run off get healed and come back with help to kill me..because i was running 100% accuracy..

Most players have no clue what stats they should be running. They use what anyone else uses.

I've run 110% accuracy a couple of times on my marauder and I noticed that despite 90% of the playerbase saying its trash.. wasted, I melted targets in PVP much waster with 110% than I did with 100% or 105%. I always wondered why, but it seems to be working. With 110% your attacks seem to be having a much bigger effect on the targets, despite players calling you a noob in PVP for it.

Most players have no clue what stats they should be running. They use what anyone else uses.

I've run 110% accuracy a couple of times on my marauder and I noticed that despite 90% of the playerbase saying its trash.. wasted, I melted targets in PVP much waster with 110% than I did with 100% or 105%. I always wondered why, but it seems to be working. With 110% your attacks seem to be having a much bigger effect on the targets, despite players calling you a noob in PVP for it.

I have yet to see anyone here explain this, so I figure I'll throw this out there.

But the reason 105% accuracy is recommended is because of the base defense chance of all non-inquisitor classes is 5%. The base defense chance of inquisitor classes is 10%.

Example non-inquisitor: https://i.imgur.com/LXn0Y4w.png

Example Inquisitor: https://i.imgur.com/880G7rb.png

That is why it's recommended to go 105%. Because when you add 5% accuracy to your base, you will never have your ranged attacks defelcted or your melee attacks parried on any non-inquisitor class, which is majority of players.

When you gear for 110%, you are specifically adding accuracy only for the sake of not missing white damage on Assassins and Sorcerers. Which could be considered a waste.

I might be wrong on this, but I think it also comes down to how much lag you play with. Ie, if someone plays with higher lag, they are likely to miss more or get less hits off due to positioning. So if they have higher lag, the extra accuracy means when you swing, you will miss less often. Which is important if you can’t get as many swings in to start with.

I used to be under the impression (incorrectly) that the more alacrity I had with the higher lag meant that it would help mitigate my higher lag. When in fact I was wasting other stats to get that higher alacrity. I was very hard headed about this opinion for a long time and used to argue with some people here about it. Luckily I wasn’t so hard headed that I didn’t give what they suggested a try and my damage increased a fair bit, even when using less alacrity to what the guides suggested for xyz class/spec.

So now I look at guides as a starting point because my circumstances are different to say someone who has 10ms ping vs my 220ms ping.

The best thing I find is asking questions and then asking more questions and then testing and then doing more research because what works for a bunch of people might not work for you because of play style or PC lag or ping problems due to distance. (Plus half the stuff people say is just a repeat of what they’ve also heard and they’ve not tested it themselves),

Thankfully there are still some good theory crafters around (if you use Discord). But they can’t always replicate your own personal situation if they have great ping or better reflexes than most.

To the OP, by all means use what they say, but never be so set in your ways not to ask more questions or test it yourself.

I have yet to see anyone here explain this, so I figure I'll throw this out there.

But the reason 105% accuracy is recommended is because of the base defense chance of all non-inquisitor classes is 5%. The base defense chance of inquisitor classes is 10%.

That is why it's recommended to go 105%. Because when you add 5% accuracy to your base, you will never have your ranged attacks defelcted or your melee attacks parried on any non-inquisitor class, which is majority of players.

When you gear for 110%, you are specifically adding accuracy only for the sake of not missing white damage on Assassins and Sorcerers. Which could be considered a waste.

What do you run with, 105 or 110? I am guessing 105%?

I might be wrong on this, but I think it also comes down to how much lag you play with. Ie, if someone plays with higher lag, they are likely to miss more or get less hits off due to positioning. So if they have higher lag, the extra accuracy means when you swing, you will miss less often. Which is important if you can’t get as many swings in to start with.

I used to be under the impression (incorrectly) that the more alacrity I had with the higher lag meant that it would help mitigate my higher lag. When in fact I was wasting other stats to get that higher alacrity. I was very hard headed about this opinion for a long time and used to argue with some people here about it. Luckily I wasn’t so hard headed that I didn’t give what they suggested a try and my damage increased a fair bit, even when using less alacrity to what the guides suggested for xyz class/spec.

So now I look at guides as a starting point because my circumstances are different to say someone who has 10ms ping vs my 220ms ping.

The best thing I find is asking questions and then asking more questions and then testing and then doing more research because what works for a bunch of people might not work for you because of play style or PC lag or ping problems due to distance. (Plus half the stuff people say is just a repeat of what they’ve also heard and they’ve not tested it themselves),

Thankfully there are still some good theory crafters around (if you use Discord). But they can’t always replicate your own personal situation if they have great ping or better reflexes than most.

To the OP, by all means use what they say, but never be so set in your ways not to ask more questions or test it yourself.

You are in fact wrong about your first two points. Lag has nothing to do with accuracy, nor does alacrity mitigate it. The reason you are probably under the first impression is that with 6.0, ghost GCDs (the GCD goes off without activating any ability), have become much more common, especially with higher ping. This is not your attacks missing, though, they're simply not activating at all. While high alacrity might slightly mitigate this by making each individual GCD less important, it also increases the required APM to play your class well, which is either made harder or impossible to keep up with depending on how high your ping goes. Really, bioware should just fix this BUG but since it's not relevant to the Cartel Market they won't.

I get the impression from other threads that you play sorc, in which case you should be running high alacrity and zero accuracy regardless of ping, since the accuracy is useless and there's nowhere to dump the stats but alacrity. If that's true, all this information is kinda useless for you. Other than that, accuracy is basically a playstyle thing. For example, I play merc with zero accuracy in order to get the 1.3s GCD with arsenal. This gives me greater value because I can get heals off much faster, and the only important thing I risk missing is priming shot, which I usually have a stun for. When I play MM sniper or deception sin, however, I play with anywhere from 105-110% accuracy depending on whether or not I'm tunneling inquisitors / warriors (because saber ward). I will say that on most melee classes (notable exceptions: concealment and AP) you don't lose out on much by stacking accuracy though, since you're already forced to play 1.4s GCD.

What do you run with, 105 or 110? I am guessing 105%?

I use 105%. You will be hard pressed to find anyone using 110%.

The stat pool budget is pretty large atm so you could definitely get to 110% and have a decent amount of stats left over for 1213 alacrity (1.4 GCD) and the rest to be dumped into crit, but to me it kind of feels like a waste to add a ton of extra accuracy rating just to specifically never miss white damage on Inquisitor classes.

You are in fact wrong about your first two points. Lag has nothing to do with accuracy, nor does alacrity mitigate it. The reason you are probably under the first impression is that with 6.0, ghost GCDs (the GCD goes off without activating any ability), have become much more common, especially with higher ping. This is not your attacks missing, though, they're simply not activating at all. While high alacrity might slightly mitigate this by making each individual GCD less important, it also increases the required APM to play your class well, which is either made harder or impossible to keep up with depending on how high your ping goes. Really, bioware should just fix this BUG but since it's not relevant to the Cartel Market they won't.

I get the impression from other threads that you play sorc, in which case you should be running high alacrity and zero accuracy regardless of ping, since the accuracy is useless and there's nowhere to dump the stats but alacrity. If that's true, all this information is kinda useless for you. Other than that, accuracy is basically a playstyle thing. For example, I play merc with zero accuracy in order to get the 1.3s GCD with arsenal. This gives me greater value because I can get heals off much faster, and the only important thing I risk missing is priming shot, which I usually have a stun for. When I play MM sniper or deception sin, however, I play with anywhere from 105-110% accuracy depending on whether or not I'm tunneling inquisitors / warriors (because saber ward). I will say that on most melee classes (notable exceptions: concealment and AP) you don't lose out on much by stacking accuracy though, since you're already forced to play 1.4s GCD.

I think you misunderstood part of what I said or I didn’t explain it properly. Also, to be clear, I was generalising about classes because I don’t just main a Sorc anymore (for a number of years), I play every class except PTs (I e never liked the class) and to a lesser extent Operatives (because I suck on them). I also do play with higher alacrity on my Sorc because accuracy means nothing for a Sorc in pvp.

When I talk about lag, I know it’s got nothing to do with accuracy as such. I think I may not have explained this part properly.

What I meant was if you don’t have enough accuracy you will obviously miss more, not including sorcs (regardless of any other factors).

Now, if you play with high lag, you will not only run into situations like you’ve described where you get ghost GCDs (like everyone does), you will also run into positioning lag and dysnc problems that mean your attacks completely miss because you’re out of position because of the lag affects.

A good example of this is if you are on a Jugg and go to leap at a target, when you land they are right in front of you and you activate a close range attack which shows full animations, but at the same time the other player is out of range of that attack due to dysnc or lag. I called this positioning lag as it’s simple to understand for other lay people.

That is why when you are in position, you want make sure every hit counts. ie, having the right amount of accuracy in this situation is important. The same as having the right amount of crit to make the most of it.

I’m also not saying to deviate too much from the normal setups, but to realise that in some situations, you may need to tweak it based on your own circumstances of lag, PC hardware performance, reflex’s, keybinding vs clicking and personal skills.

Ie, as it was pointed out to me many years ago, there is not much point in stacking a heap of alacrity if your lag is preventing you from taking advantage of the extra speed and lower GCDs the alacrity provides.

And yes, I totally agree with you about those ghost GCDs, they need to be fixed. They are the bane of my existence and I dare say, happen more or you feel them more when you play with higher lag.

Out of curiosity, what ping do you regularly play with and is it stable?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I use 105%. You will be hard pressed to find anyone using 110%.

The stat pool budget is pretty large atm so you could definitely get to 110% and have a decent amount of stats left over for 1213 alacrity (1.4 GCD) and the rest to be dumped into crit, but to me it kind of feels like a waste to add a ton of extra accuracy rating just to specifically never miss white damage on Inquisitor classes.

ok ty. I am running high alacrity and it seems people favor lower alacrity and high crit now I don't even feel like messing with my stats again sigh. Will do it some other time.

I played ranked with 110% again, but I rolled back to 105 after a few games. It's too much of a dps loss on fury marauder for me. I trade accuracy and get no benefit at all . DPS is much higher with 105% accuracy.

There's so much mitigation in PvP, the accuracy is wasted completely.

This is factually false. Accuracy has nothing to do with damage reductions. All it does is make sure your damage lands.

Its literally a 4% damage increase to get 105% over 101% accuracy. You won't find a curve that steep on any of the other stats and that's not even the biggest deal about it.

The primary reason to cap your accuracy to 105% is because you really.. REALLY don't want to miss that 50k Furious Strike on the enemy PT/Merc/Sniper/Operative/Jugg/Mara at 49k hp. Accuracy literally decides games.

A bunch of mm snipers use 110% (including me), but that's the only class I see it on generally.

There is really no point though, unless you're fighting a bunch of sins and sorcs.

There is something to be said for taking out the 110% kit when you're fighting a team of Inquisitors and Consulars though. It'll be well worth it there. But if the Inquisitor or Consular isn't your main target I wouldn't bother.

Edited by Evolixe

There is really no point though, unless you're fighting a bunch of sins and sorcs.

There is something to be said for taking out the 110% kit when you're fighting a team of Inquisitors and Consulars though. It'll be well worth it there. But if the Inquisitor or Consular isn't your main target I wouldn't bother.

As a sniper, it might be fun having main and off hand weapons hot barred so you can do a fast weapon swap out of combat. One lot with extra accuracy to give 110% and the other to give 105%.

That way if you’re facing an over abundance of Inquisitors on the other team, you can do a quick swap to 110%.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Early in the season, the queue was about 50% sins lol. And inquisitors are generally 25% of what you'll face, it's not like they're super rare.

Also, there are a bunch of other accuracy debuffs that effect white damage, like the tank ones. And since mm snipers do all white damage, I think it's worth it.

Early in the season, the queue was about 50% sins lol. And inquisitors are generally 25% of what you'll face, it's not like they're super rare.

Also, there are a bunch of other accuracy debuffs that effect white damage, like the tank ones. And since mm snipers do all white damage, I think it's worth it.

Do you use the accuracy-crit stim at the same time?

Do you use the accuracy-crit stim at the same time?

Yes, the best way to reach 1590 accuracy is accuracy stim, 5 augs, initiative r-18, initiative r-19.

There are plenty of snipers much better than me that only use 105% as well, so I wouldn't say 110% is definitively better, but ti's at least justifiable.

Edited by JediMasterAlex