Who killed Satele's Master?

Reeny

SPOILERS AHEAD. LOOK AWAY IF YOU LIVE UNDER A STAR WARS ROCK

Which, I have a question for you lore people. So she wields a dual saber, and her master did too. She throws her saber to him and he takes it gratefully and fights rather well with it.

So.....

If 2 dual sabers are better than one, and two normal sabers are also better than one, why just have one? o.O

Keep in mind, Obi-wan threw Anakin his saber against the Dooku loss and Anakin later killed Dooku with 2 saber ( I can't remember, but I think he got Dooku's saber).

In other words, we should never see a single wielding jedi/stih nor a single dual saber. They should all fight with 2 dual sabers if we use logic, no?

Edited by Zerileth

Which, I have a question for you lore people. So she wields a dual saber, and her master did too. She throws her saber to him and he takes it gratefully and fights rather well with it.

So.....

If 2 dual sabers are better than one, and two normal sabers are also better than one, why just have one? o.O

Keep in mind, Obi-wan threw Anakin his saber against the Dooku loss and Anakin later killed Dooku with 2 saber ( I can't remember, but I think he got Dooku's saber).

In other words, we should never see a single wielding jedi/stih nor a single dual saber. They should all fight with 2 dual sabers if we use logic, no?

If you had the option to fight somebody with a baseball bat would you use one or two at the same time? If you had the option of using a single pistol in combat or one in each hand which choice would you make?

It's the difference between more strikes/bullets vs precision.

You're more vulnerable & less precise when dual-wielding anything really whereas you have a greater deal of control and precision with a single weapon.

It's like picking the strong slow character in a game vs the weak but fast character or vice versa.

So.....

Because fighting effectively with 2 sabers is hard, and isn't inherently superior even for those who can. The prime advantage of having 2 lightsabeers is the ability to overwhelm an opponent and throw them off guard due to the unfamiliar fighting style.

It requires a very high level of coordination (basically you need to be ambidextrous, or pretty close) and have extensive practice.

Anakin lost the second lightsaber in his first fight with Dooku in a matter of seconds, despite having practiced the Jar'Kai technique. He lasted quite a bit longer falling back on the more familiar Djem So

Ahsoka had grown so accustomed to fighting with her saber/shoto combo that when she lost the shoto, it hampered her ability to fight due to being out of practice with Shien

If you had the option to fight somebody with a baseball bat would you use one or two at the same time? If you had the option of using a single pistol in combat or one in each hand which choice would you make?

It's the difference between more strikes/bullets vs precision.

Ok.... by this logic, I always want 2 baseball bats at ready. So if I'm a Jedi, I want 2 dualsabers strapped to my back ready for combat, because: more strikes. Again, all parties receiving the extra lightsaber seemed to be happy to get it. Why didn't they just come prepared with two? Didn't they have enough enough funds to buy two? Of course they did.

You're more vulnerable & less precise when dual-wielding anything really whereas you have a greater deal of control and precision with a single weapon.

Ok, so now you're switching back to single weapon being ideal for control and precision. So was there something in the fight that made Satele's master think.... "Hmmm, fighting Malgus requires less precision and control. I shall take Satele's dualsaber?"

Because fighting effectively with 2 sabers is hard, and isn't inherently superior even for those who can. The prime advantage of having 2 lightsabeers is the ability to overwhelm an opponent and throw them off guard due to the unfamiliar fighting style.

It requires a very high level of coordination (basically you need to be ambidextrous, or pretty close) and have extensive practice.

OK, so you're saying Satele's master is superior and thus can wield 2 lightsabeers (I love beer, so this is perfect :D), then why doesn't he have two to begin with? o.O

If he starts the fight with just one.... does he not have confidence in his "high level of coordination?"

Anakin lost the second lightsaber in his first fight with Dooku in a matter of seconds, despite having practiced the Jar'Kai technique. He lasted quite a bit longer falling back on the more familiar Djem So

Ahsoka had grown so accustomed to fighting with her saber/shoto combo that when she lost the shoto, it hampered her ability to fight due to being out of practice with Shien

Again, all receivers of the second lightsaber seem to be quite proficient in the skill of wielding more than one (be it single or dual), why didn't they just start the fight that way?

I think both of you are contradicting yourselves. You say it's better, then say it's not.

Let's face it, the real answer is.... it looks good in movies and video games. There's zero practical reason for it or they would have had two sabers ready at the start of the fight.

Silly sarcastic example to prove point: I have 2 tanks ready for combat, but I'll just start with one since bringing the second one in halfway through the fight simply looks cool. :D

Let's face it, the real answer is.... it looks good in movies and video games.

^ The nerdy side in me wants this dispelled. But I don't know how....

Edited by Zerileth

Ok.... by this logic, I always want 2 baseball bats at ready. So if I'm a Jedi, I want 2 dualsabers strapped to my back ready for combat, because: more strikes. Again, all parties receiving the extra lightsaber seemed to be happy to get it. Why didn't they just come prepared with two? Didn't they have enough enough funds to buy two? Of course they did.

Ok, so now you're switching back to single weapon being ideal for control and precision. So was there something in the fight that made Satele's master think.... "Hmmm, fighting Malgus requires less precision and control. I shall take Satele's dualsaber?"

I don't think you understand that it's a cinematic designed to look cool & flashy, not display any sort of tactical realism. I don't know that many people, if anyone, is coming to the Star Wars franchise expecting that sort of thing at all times when there is an ever mystical energy present that allows someone to basically do anything.

I don't think you understand that it's a cinematic designed to look cool & flashy, not display any sort of tactical realism. I don't know that many people, if anyone, is coming to the Star Wars franchise expecting that sort of thing at all times when there is an ever mystical energy present that allows someone to basically do anything.

No no, I totally get that. Let's be nerds shall we? I get the logic and realism.... I'm looking for .... nerdism.

I just coined that. :D

But it does kinda throw off immersion a tad, no?

But it does kinda throw off immersion a tad, no?

Not really. Your argument is that someone with multiple lightsabers has the advantage yet when Anakin uses two sabers to fight Dooku in Episode 2 he ends up getting one of his arms cut off.

General Grievous uses 4 lightsabers yet Obi-Wan is able to cut off two of his 4 hands fairly easily when they battle in Episode 3.

Ventress used two lightsabers yet would oftentimes end up being defeated by single saber users.

If anything history has shown that using multiple sabers is the wrong way to go, especially as far as the canon is concerned.

Not really. Your argument is that someone with multiple lightsabers has the advantage yet when Anakin uses two sabers to fight Dooku in Episode 2 he ends up getting one of his arms cut off.

General Grievous uses 4 lightsabers yet Obi-Wan is able to cut off two of his 4 hands fairly easily when they battle in Episode 3.

Ventress used two lightsabers yet would oftentimes end up being defeated by single saber users.

If anything history has shown that using multiple sabers is the wrong way to go, especially as far as the canon is concerned.

I'm not saying they have the advantage; I'm saying in every scenario they appear to BELIEVE they have the advantage. Your point is sound, but then are the jedi THAT dumb? o.O

They should have thrown back the "gifted" lightsabeer and just used one?

Hehe... this is just for conversation fun.

I'm not saying they have the advantage; I'm saying in every scenario they appear to BELIEVE they have the advantage. Your point is sound, but then are the jedi THAT dumb? o.O

They should have thrown back the "gifted" lightsabeer and just used one?

Hehe... this is just for conversation fun.

Satele's Master was the Order's Battlemaster, if I am not mistaken. That means that he had mastered the art of combat or is supposed to have had, since he should be the expert on all kinds of weaponry and the art of battle. Thus, it is very likely that he has had a lot of practice with wielding all kinds of weapons and is familiar with all the seven forms of Lightsaber combat, on top of that also the exotic styles like Tràkata or Jar'kai (which is the dual wield form, btw). Thus, when he came face to face with 2 Sith Lords, he might have thought "I need every advantage I can get here" and so opted to use the dual-wield form as seen in the cinematic.

Let me stress however, that to wield Jar'kai /the Dual Wield form effectively, you need to have had a lot of training in it. It's ideal for Jedi and Sith who focus more on combat anyway, but Force Users who instead devote themselves to the study of the Force or don't have the motivation to train that hard to be able to effectively wield the dual-wield, will simply stick to 1 lightsaber or at most the double-bladed one. It has to be said actually, that the latter might be very useful for Jedi and Sith that rely a lot on the Force, especially Sith Sorcerers. Darth Zannah for example combined the double-bladed lightsaber with the Soresu form, a highly defensive form, to wear down opponents by constantly being on the defensive (which allowed her to remain rested while the attacker became exhausted) while in the meantime she gathered up Dark Side energy to cast a Sith spell on her enemy.

Edited by Ylliarus

So.....

Logic would suggest the Force is greater than any physical weapon like a gun or lightsaber. A Jedi strong in the Force could wield a lollipop against his enemies and win.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Satele and Malgus look so different in the trailer when compared to in-game.

Satele looks better in the trailer.

Well, Satele was much younger in the Trailers. When we first encounter her ingame she's somewhere in her fifties, while in the trailers she is in her late twenties and early thirties. So there should be a difference in appearances to make the passage of time believable.

Depends on the availability of the voice actress.

Satele is voiced by Jennifer Hale, who also voices the female Trooper & various other additional voices. She's one of the actors that Bioware has under contract & can use whenever necessary/needed.

All of the actors who voice the player characters (Jennifer Hale, Nolan North, David Hayter, etc) are signed to multi-year contracts.This makes sense given that basically every story update is going to require them.

At this point, it's probably also safe to assume that Theron & Lana's voice actors (Troy Baker & Lydia Leonard) are also under contract given how frequently they've appeared in the game's storyline(s) since Forged Alliances.

If there's an actor you hear frequently in the game across multiple story updates, or across multiple Bioware games, chances are they're under contract.