Draw Distance

DhampirNova

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a low frame rate and choppy graphics, which makes ops unplayable, with the current default Draw Distance / View Distance. They removed the option to change this, because it was in Beta so I know it exists. If they dont add this option back into the game I will have to quit as pvp is very important to me. Besides that the pve is also laggy.

To anyone who is going to post the usual 'You need to turn shadows off....update graphic drivers....' please dont. I have done all that and more. All settings are on lowest possible and shadows/bloom/deph of field, are all off. I played beta without graphics lag and decent frame rate, because I was able to turn Draw distance down to low. My laptop is 2 years old and cant handle the current default Draw Distance ( I suspect Medium ).

To the game mods at Bioware, Please add the Draw Distance option back into the game, or there is no need for me to play futher, as it is very frustrating at low fps.

And to the ********es out there, I dont have $1000.00 to buy a new Laptop or Computer.

Thank you in advance for adding this option back into the game ( Possitive thinking )

Can someone please help us here. Someone from Bioware?? Why did you get rid of this feature?? My fps isn't impossible to play with, something like 20 right now, but it drops low in FPs and I'm afraid that I def. won't be able to do Operations. There must be something in the game files that would allow us to turn our view distance down.

I was in the beta as well and played with much better fps because I could turn this down. Why take this out? Why force us to play with a certain view distance? Lowering view distance is always one of the best methods for increasing performance.

Edited by CaptainSheppard

You can depending on the model of your laptop. If it's something ****** like a mac ofcourse not, but there are alot of laptops that allow upgrades. It depends of the maker of your laptop

No, there are NOT a lot of laptops that allow you to upgrade your laptop. They have only been a handful of models through the years... :rolleyes:

okay, this is what I'm about to try, I went to the start menu and searched for %appdata% then you might have to back up and find the SWTOR folder, then click on swtor, then settings.

Then open Graphics_Mirror and paste the line,

Graphics_ClipDistance = 0.10000000149

in there (that was lowest setting on beta)

Afterwards change the file to read only and try it out. I haven't tried it yet, I'm about to see if it changed anything.

Edited by CaptainSheppard

Chances are it's not bioware's fault. Have you turned off/down your Shadows and turned off your bloom?

This actually is Bioware's fault. They removed a graphic setting (Draw Distance) that was available in the last several beta builds. My laptop averaged 30-60fps with the distance set to low, shadows off, bloom off. Now I'm in the 15-30fps range.

I edited the FarClipScale value in my settings ini file (as described in this gamespot article) to no avail but I'm going to try some other values tonight.

I was wondering about this too...why the hell did Bioware remove all the graphics options from beta? I could run it with little to no problems on low-medium settings but it seems like the low settings were bumped up, and now my Vaio laptop runs extremely hot, even with a fan on the side and an extra laptop fan I bought underneath it.

I don''t really lag, just my laptop gets really really hot.

My graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570. I have 4GB of RAM and a 2.20 GHz Intel Duo Core (T6600) processor...I''m not the best understanding specs so...

I''m going to try opening up and cleaning my laptop, but it''s barely 2 years old so I don''t understand why I can run other games just fine but this makes my system run EXTREMELY hot.

Edited by HouseAtlantic

I was wondering about this too...why the hell did Bioware remove all the graphics options from beta?

Yes, but I want to increase my draw distance. It looks crappy having the grass grow 20 yds in front of me.

Why would they remove something so simple for launch?!

Agreed draw distance needs to be added back into the game. I hope they hear the cry from the community of how important these options were for us. I had no problems with lag or FPS in beta until now when they took it out of the game.

Please add Draw Distance back into the game Bioware!

:( When I play WoW I have to turn my view distance all the way down for my PoS laptop to handle it....But at least WoW has the option. Im gonna need to find a way to turn the view distance down or I simply cant play Star Wars...Im so bummed Ive been waiting for this game to come out for dayzzz and loved Star Wars since I was a kid. Im sure alot of people are in the same situation...why the hell even take the option out of the game in the first place?

Back to WoW for now I guess :(

Has anyone found a way to turn this down? My friend needs it to be able to play at a decent frame rate.

I find it fun that I want more draw distance while others want less :D

Its a pity that BW has disabled it, right now there is no way of increasing or decreasing it - the ini line´s dont work at all, no matter what you write there :(

You can change you ini file to include draw distance and pick what you would like to set it at.

The file can be found here users/name(comp name)/appdata/local/swtor/settings

client settings.ini

and under the [Renderer] section you can add.

FarClipScale = (what ever value you want) normally from numbers 1-10 depends how far you want to see :).

For those wanting slightly better graphics and a few other things enabled you may also want to add these to your ini under [Renderer] again.

AntiAliasingLevel = 4

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

enableadvenvirolighting = true

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

My current ini file looks like this and runs smooth and looks darn good :).

[Renderer]

Height = 900

Width = 1440

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 2

MeshLODQuality = 1

TextureAnisotropy = 16

AntiAliasingLevel = 4

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

PlantDensity = 150

D3DFullScreen = true

NativeHeight = 900

NativeWidth = 1440

doShadows = true

doBlobShadows = true

UseMinSpecShaders = false

enableadvenvirolighting = true

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

EnableBloom = true

VerticalSyncState = true

FullScreen = true

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

GammaRamp = 1.037854

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.1347826

RefreshRate = 75

[Game]

MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies

SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

FarClipScale = 1

Thats what i put into the spot u said and it didnt do anything. I tried to use o.1, .1, 0.2, 2

None of them brought my view distance any closer. Has anybody else tried this and had it work? Is there something im doing wrong?

try doing it as a /command in game so you would type.

/FarClipScale = 1

also am not sure if you have spaces or not don't think I have in my ini file but for some reason when pasted in here it added them try like this also in ini file or as a /command.

FarClipScale=1

I can't check this right now as I am in work and will check once home.